Tortilla Joe's - Is it really that bad?

Another thing, "authentic" Mexican food is very different region to region in Mexico. I like food from a few of the regions, and don't care for it from others. That said, there is no one "authentic" Mexican food type. Mexican food is very Americanized at Disneyland. I do like some of the food at Tortilla Jos, like the fajitas (which are not really Mexican, but Tex-Mex) and the guac. I generally order from the take out sections so I can have it made the way *I* want it. My preference for Mexican food tends towards the Sonoran region. (It is more commonly found in the south western US.) It is milder flavors compared to the Jalisco and Michoacan areas, which are found in the south east areas of the US.

It's so funny how everyone's taste is so different! But then that's why some of these places stay open!

We will never set foot in Naples ever again after a horrible food and service experience! But on here people rave about it!

I second you on Naples! We went there once, food was mediocre especially for the price, but the service was downright horrible! Never again.

TJs is ok, but never a must do for us.

We loved the walk upside for dinner and breakfast that were not impressed with the sit down dining side. Chips and salsa were good as were the margaritas but all of our main courses were meh. We ate at the ESPN zone on the same trip enjoyed that quite a bit more

We've enjoyed Tortilla Joe's every time we've eaten there. That said, we're consistent about what we get--guacamole, fajitas, and margaritas (for the adults). We love Naples, too, but again we know exactly what we like there--the pizza. (I particularly think that pizza style is very subjective. I love it thin, heavy with toppings, and very cooked underneath.)

Hmmm... I actually like it. I usually get their tableside guacamole and the enchilada suizas. For Americanized Mexican food I think it's tasty. For real Mexican food I either make it at home or go to a local (to my home) place.
If Mary Jo likes it, I'm pretty sure Angi and I will like it also! Plus, it's table side guac!

Ate there yesterday. I'm used to TexMex (Oklahoma) so I often expect 'mexican' food to taste different when I leave my region. But I will not eat here again.

The food I had yesterday was mediocre at best but it was by far the blandest food I have ever eaten in a Mexican/Spanish/Latin restaurant. No joke I even tried salting the beans and they were still pretty bad.

The cheese enchilada and the shredded beef taco were edible but the tamale was terrible. Again bland, the masa was like eating paste and while salsa verde is not my favorite, I could not eat it at all.

Even the chips were sub par.

It's interesting how everyone has such different experiences. I ate there with a group of nine people a few weeks ago, and we all enjoyed our food. The only "complaint" I had was that the guacamole was not spicy, but that is because the majority of the table don't eat spicy so that is the way we ordered it. The food wasn't spicy/hot like I'm used to, but still tasty in my opinion.

Having said that, if you'd like to try a really yummy restaurant, drive up Harbor to Fullerton (15 min?) and check out the Matador restaurant. My son took me there last year - the food was really good. (Don't expect Tex-Mex there either, though)

http://thematador.com/

Last edited:
I think if you go in with the expectations that it will be like Chevy's or Don Pablo's and not like an authentic Mexican restaurant from whatever region's cuisine you like, you'll be fine. I mean, I don't go to Outback expecting it to be as good as a 5* steak house, and I don't leave disappointed.

First off, think of who they are catering to----'Muricca.
If it was authentic Mexican food they would go out of business.
Even Brennan's is "dumbed down" from their New Orleans flagship.
Disney is there to feed the masses. Skipper Canteen at WDW is now overhauling their menu because it was "too fancy" and complicated and people complained. Too bad.
American tourists want their chicken fingers and French fries. Pizza and burgers.

Tableside guac at Tortilla Joes is GOOD! You can customize the flavor, it's yummy!

Went there once. It was massively expensive and being from Las Vegas where there is a lot of good Mexican food, it wasn't very authentic. I wouldn't go back.

I don't remember what I had the last time I was there. I don't remember it being great, but I don't think it was terrible. I remember one thing clearly, and it's the most important thing. THEY HAVE DR. PEPPER.

I was just happy to see they finally vacuumed that shag carpeted ceiling. (Did it used to be a roller skating rink or something?)

I think if you go in with the expectations that it will be like Chevy's or Don Pablo's and not like an authentic Mexican restaurant from whatever region's cuisine you like, you'll be fine. I mean, I don't go to Outback expecting it to be as good as a 5* steak house, and I don't leave disappointed.

Man I love me some Chevy's.

I was expecting a more California based Mexican, and if it had been seasoned properly I would have liked it better, well maybe not the tamale.

I ate at the RB Jazz Kitchen express yesterday. I've not eaten a ton of Cajun/Creole seasoned food, but I had the red beans and rice and some beignets and I thought it was pretty good. A little spicy and probably a little 'dumbed' down because it wasn't overly spiced in that distinct flavor you get in Louisianna. But still decent. Beignets were heavy but still tasty. They sell the Cafe Du Monde mix so I wonder if that is what they use? However while mild it was still seasoned well and so was good.

I do get that tourist places cater to the masses but there is no reason for food to come from a professional kitchen under seasoned with the basics.

We shared nachos for lunch one time and thought they were really good. We were really glad we didn't order two separate nacho servings, because one serving was plenty for two of us. We last ate their about a year ago, so it could have changed in that time.

I think titling threads like this "is it really that bad?" is unfair to the restaurant.

Everybody has different tastes and different items can be hit or miss for people. I haven't eaten here but know others that did and loved it. Pictures on yelp look fine to me. Before this thread, I never heard bad things about TJ, and will probably still try it someday. I love rancho del zocalo, but the last time the chicken burrito just didn't taste great, maybe different ingredients now or who knows, but just shows how variable opinions can be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter