Tortured on using DME. Any advice appreciated

Can you take a later bus from your resort rather than the 4 hour in advance one they book you for? With TSA pre check, there is no need for us to be at the airport that early. So can you just say to one of the next drivers, oops, sorry, I missed my earlier bus, and hop on that one?
Your choices are find a different flight departure time and use that for your ME reservation, so they adjust the pick up time or use Ride Share
We opt to use Ride Share. ME gets us to the airport way too early AND with an unknown amount of stops, wastes too much time.
Ride Share seems like depressing too. Not sure why

I would say that the biggest advantage of driving back to the airport is the ability to pack up first thing in the morning and go directly from theme park to airport later in the day.

Compared with having to go back to your resort which I (IMHO) recommend shooting to get back there an hour before your Magical Express bus time to the airport.

Note that driving back can still get you anxious. You have to allow time to gas up the car and check in the car with possible delay to inspect for damage.

A chauffeured ride (e.g. Happy, Yellow, Lyft) can still require that you go back to your resort to get the carryons.

Any way out of Disney feels depressing. On the back of the welcoming arches over the highway you see Mickey's likeness with upraised white glove. Is there still the caption "See you real soon."?

Last edited:
Checking in a car never takes us more than 5 minutes and we always rent a car. We refuel the car that the Landstar exit on 417 which is 3 miles from the airport.
I would say that the biggest advantage of driving back to the airport is the ability to pack up first thing in the morning and go directly from theme park to airport later in the day.

Compared with having to go back to your resort which I (IMHO) recommend shooting to get back there an hour before your Magical Express bus time to the airport.

Note that driving back can still get you anxious. You have to allow time to gas up the car and check in the car with possible delay to inspect for damage.

A chauffeured ride (e.g. Happy, Yellow, Lyft) can still require that you go back to your resort to get the carryons.

Any way out of Disney feels depressing. You see Mickey's likeness with upraised white glove. Is there still the caption "See you real soon."?
It never takes more than 5 minutes to check in a rental car. We always rent a car. They have the receipt ready for us before we have the luggage out of the car. We fill up at the gas station at the Landstar exit off 417 which is 3 miles from the airport.

On level 3, passengers just walk straight across the center of the terminal to get from A to B.
We've had a similar discussion in another thread.

Southwest baggage claim is in the NE corner of MCO. DME is in the SW corner of MCO. Southwest passengers who want to get their own luggage have to return to level 3 walk across the terminal to the B side then walk to the end (E side) of the terminal then go down to level 1.

DME is on level 1, directly below baggage claim for American, United and Spirit. Real easy for those guests to grab their own luggage and take DME.

Guests not getting their own luggage. After you take the tram to the main terminal building,and exit the secure area, you're just a few steps from the imaginary line separating the A and B side of the airport. Guests arriving gates 70-129 (70-99 B side, 100-129 A side) have to walk from the middle to the B side, walk the length of the terminal then go down to level 1. Passengers arriving gates 1-59 (either A or B side) only have to walk from the middle to the B side then go down to level 1. A or B isn't really the issue. The difference is of your gate is on the E or W side of the terminal.

I'm not responding to any specific post. At least some of the posters, including myself, aren't posting to change your mind or to "scold" your for making "poor" choices. Rather engage in discussions for the benefit of others who are trying to decide what they should do.

My opinion. If I was flying SW I wouldn't get my own luggage and take DME, and I don't use a cane. I'd either use a car service or ride share. Ride share picks up right outside SW baggage claim. JMO but using a cane and schlepping 3 bags around MCO isn't they way I'd want to start my vacation. Different opinion if I was flying United.

If I had an early flight and was staying at a DVC resort, almost no chance of getting a room prior to check in time, I'd definitely use DME luggage. Regular hotel room I'd still use DME luggage but the resorts know when you're scheduled to arrive and when you're scanned at DME. They try to have a room available. Some people can't start their vacation until they unpack. A guest who's going to wait in their room until their luggage is delivered might as well get their own luggage.

Later flight, after 3. I'd still use DME luggage, maybe because I fly SW. Wait for luggage, schlep over to DME then grab the next bus to my resort. Probably get to my resort 30 minutes (maybe more) later then if I just let Disney get my bags.

The later the flight the more getting your own luggage makes some sense.

Last edited:

We are avid WDW goers...Twice a year. Usually stay in a Deluxe Villa or Deluxe hotel. In early June we are staying in Bay Lake Tower. I’ve never been to Disney without a rental car. This time is a bit unique as we don’t intend to leave property. We are in debate as to using Magical Express. We have never used it before. We will be flying in from Atlanta. I wonder how much we will miss the car. We usually buy groceries somewhere and also usually drive to Animal Kingdom when we go. What is your alls advice? Staying for Sunday June 2 - Saturday June 8 (leaving early that day)

Thank you!
We nearly always book Tiffany Towncar. They meet us at baggage claim, help with the luggage. We schedule a grocery stop enroute, and then it's straight to the resort. Easy.

Can you take a later bus from your resort rather than the 4 hour in advance one they book you for? With TSA pre check, there is no need for us to be at the airport that early. So can you just say to one of the next drivers, oops, sorry, I missed my earlier bus, and hop on that one?
DME buses pick up every 30 minutes,as long as their is a guest with a reservation for that time. No guest scheduled the bus won't stop. 4 hours is for an international flight. Are you flying directly to Canada or to Buffalo. If you're flying to Buffalo your pickup should be around 3 hours before your flight.

Are you checking luggage? I don't think you can use RAC to check luggage for an international flight. For a domestic flight luggage as to be checked around 45 minutes before your flight, varies by airline. What is the deadline for checking luggage for your carrier? How early do you have to be at the gate? Some airlines, some airports, some destinations require being at your gate an hour before your flight.If it's around the same as domestic flight call DME and ask for a later pick up. If DME insists on 4 hours I'd use a car service or ride share.

edited to add: DME doesn't have different time standards for different international destinations. If the airline time standards for Canada are about the same as domestic I'd call DME. Maybe you can get 3.5 hours. I'd still probably find my own transportation.

We now live close enough to drive, and I am no longer taking solo trips. But when I did fly as recently as a couple of years ago I took ME. But as I really like having a car - I would often rent a car for a couple of days from Alamo on property.

We prefer taking the first flight out of our airport which puts us at landing anywhere between 8:30 and 10:00 AM. Later flights are very rare for us.
While yes, you can always get a room early (less often with DVC) it's never something you can expect or count on. We do get in our room before 3:00 most all trips but not so often as soon as we get there seeing how it is so early. Sometimes but not most of the time
We travel down 8 or so times a year and with our prefered flight times, I can count on 1 hand, with fingers left over, the number of times I've had a room before our bags arrived.
That said, if I know I'm going to be going to the arriving in the morning and seeing how it's impossible to know if I'll have a room or not I am not sure why it's better to wait on a bag and then schelp it to ME only to then turn it over to Bell Services. It is not like you are going to do anything with the bags without a room.
The later in the day you arrive the bigger chance you have of getting in the room quicker than ME delivery. That's when it becomes a harder choice if you just have to have something in those bags.

Checking in a car never takes us more than 5 minutes and we always rent a car. We refuel the car that the Landstar exit on 417 which is 3 miles from the airport.

It never takes more than 5 minutes to check in a rental car. We always rent a car. They have the receipt ready for us before we have the luggage out of the car. We fill up at the gas station at the Landstar exit off 417 which is 3 miles from the airport.
5 minutes is about all it take for Alamo, and most of the big players. It certainly isn't enough if you're renting from one of the "bargain" agencies which require a shuttle.

Yes, if your flight is nonstop to Canada, it's internationel. If you are changing plajes in, for example, Buffalo, it's domestic.

We used to rent a car because we hate using the Disney buses. Now we use DME (which is generally fine) and Minnie Vans/Lyft/Uber for transportation on our trip. We find it's cheaper than renting a car, and we can still avoid buses.

Are you flying directly to Canada or to Buffalo.

Canada. The U.S. is referred to as "TransBorder" when leaving Canada but I guess "International" when returning.

Are you checking luggage? I don't think you can use RAC to check luggage for an international flight. For a domestic flight luggage as to be checked around 45 minutes before your flight, varies by airline. What is the deadline for checking luggage for your carrier? How early do you have to be at the gate? Some airlines, some airports, some destinations require being at your gate an hour before your flight.If it's around the same as domestic flight call DME and ask for a later pick up. If DME insists on 4 hours I'd use a car service or ride share.

We checkin online, rent a car, have Pre Check, board in Zone 1 and always carry on. So we are usually at the gate 25 minutes after dropping off our car. So leaving 4 hours early for our flight is way too early. We'll either continue to rent a car or ride share to the airport.

Canada. The U.S. is referred to as "TransBorder" when leaving Canada but I guess "International" when returning.

We checkin online, rent a car, have Pre Check, board in Zone 1 and always carry on. So we are usually at the gate 25 minutes after dropping off our car. So leaving 4 hours early for our flight is way too early. We'll either continue to rent a car or ride share to the airport.
Ride share or car rental will maximize time spent at WDW on your last day. I can call DME and request a later pick up. I suspect they'll give you 3.5 hours. I don't know if they'll give you the 3 hour pick up given to domestic guests.

Nope........
I wanted my bags to arrive at the same time I did.....

For what purpose? Honest question, not trying to come off snarky. Most people who need something right away will put it in their carry on bag so that its never too far from them.

We used to drive in since we often did a split on and off site stay to take advantage of the very nice Bonnet Creek resort. We have started mixing a DVC stay with a stay at the Dolphin in the last year or two. We had a great experience picking up or returning an Alamo rental car st the Dolphin. Very good service there and so easy. Last trip we used a car service pick up at MCO and plan to continue using this approach for future trips. We fly exclusively Southwest as it’s the only non stop service in our area. The car service includes a grocery stop. It allows us to pick up exactly what we like and avoid the crummy substitutions we had with amazon prime now. We spend a lot of time in our room or DVC villa so having the grocery stop is a great benefit and savings. Allows us to avoid trying to stuff food or staples in our luggage. I do miss having a car but we know we can rent one in a pinch if something comes up. Works for us.

Last November was the first time for us without a car and now expect never to have a car again when we fly in. Uber is very very good in Orlando. The wait times are short and the costs low. If you have never used Uber then you may have some hesitation but once you start you will find it a very good option. Florida only requires a seat belt for children six or older so no concern there unless you have children younger than that. One Uber benefit that isn’t often considered is these drivers have immense experience with Disney/Orlando traffic and so time savings there as well as not having to worry about parking and gas and parking payments.

I understand that Uber bought Mears and the plan is that Mears ultimately will be a limo service.

I understand that Uber bought Mears and the plan is that Mears ultimately will be a limo service.
Mears was sold. AFAIK uber isn't the owner. Rumor is Mears may concentrate on limo end of the business.

Why not be honest about it and say, ""I'm real damn nosy and I think you should tell me whatever I want to know about your life's decisions."
Honest answer.
None of your business..........:D
Some posters may be snarky and nosy. Some are just trying to figure out if they're doing something wrong. If they're missing something. Curious and inquisitive not nosy.

Airlines sometimes misdirect and occassionally lose luggage. General rule is items which are essential such as medicines and medical devices belong in carry on bags. Same with expensive items like jewelry and electronic equipment. Items on checked bags can generally wait for magical delivery.

Prior discussions suggested golf clubs being an exception. They don't qualify as carry on luggage but could be needed if you have a tee time shortly after landing.

Prior discussions suggest some passengers want to be in a position to file a quick claim.

Other people like getting their luggage ASAP.

Again sometimes it's simply a matter of personal preference. The only question relevant is if there is something which can't be carried on and might be needed before magical delivery. If you think sharing this information is something which might be helpful to others please share.

We are avid WDW goers...Twice a year. Usually stay in a Deluxe Villa or Deluxe hotel. In early June we are staying in Bay Lake Tower. I’ve never been to Disney without a rental car. This time is a bit unique as we don’t intend to leave property. We are in debate as to using Magical Express. !

Hey there! I usually drive to WDW, but just came back from a last-minute trip and therefore took DME for the first time. It was a dream. No complaints here. Even if the time evens out with getting a rental, I found it was stress-free. It was nice after a (long) day of travel and a late arrival, to just sit back and let someone else navigate the drive. We recently stayed at The Contemporary and loved being within walking distance of MK. The monorail to EPCOT was a breeze. I'm sure you're going to love the location of BLT.

I've never used my car while at WDW, preferring bus/monorail/boats, but if those modes don't suit your preference, I agree you'd likely rent rideshares with ease (more ease than renting a car and maneuvering parking/trams).

You like driving, so that's a known. I'm not a risk-taker, so I can appreciate taking the familiar option, but I don't think there's much to lose by trying MDE. If you get there, and regret not having a car, I'm sure you can track one down quickly. The upside of using a rideshare is that they'd arrive with with the air conditioning already pumping- a perk in the summer :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter