Total Knee replacement-bad back...? for DL

idofabric

<font color=green>"How do I...?"
Just found out we are going to DL July 29-31...No idea where we will be staying, but at the current cost of DL hotels, not on property. I had a total knee replacement May 3. Didn't go to well. Scar looks great, cause it was numb and I could rub the scar tissue as I was told, but as you will read, other problems came up..
I have a few questions, so if someone can help me, thank you!
My back went out during Phy.Ther....so when I walk for longer then about 15-20 min the leg goes totally numb, I sit for a while and carry on. I can NOT stand still for longer then 5 minuets...the back, and leg go out. I walk like I have been at the Wine stations at F&W for way to long...or trip and fall.
I have a Disable Parking pass from our state, and plan on taking it, so I don't think that will be to bad? We live in South Carolina...I can check with Calif.state online...
I am really, really not sure what to do. I grew up in S.Calif. and this would/will be the first trip back in 10 years. If you all think I can do it. I don't mind taking my time with doing rides/shows. But the wait in line will be a killer!
I've done WDW with 2 ankle rebuilds, and a total big toe(you can laugh...) replacement, and it worked out ok...
Help? Thanks everyone!!

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including in Post #14 where people rent ECVs for DisneyLand and other DL related information.

Or, if you want an easier route to the FAQs, click on the link in my signature.

Thanks, I did check page 14. I won't need an ECV, I will need to ice the knee down a few times a day, but I figured that the Care centers would let me use a baggie of ice.
I was more intrested in info on temp. injuries, and I really did look, but didn't see a lot of info on that. I was wondering if DL did the passes like WDW. I'm hoping that DH can get in line, and I will meet him at the disable entrance to rides....
Not a big deal, I can check when I get there.
Thank you for getting back to me!

I'm sorry to hear your surgery didn't go well. There likely isn't info on "temp injuries" since that's pretty broad and it would depend on the individual injury and needs; however the info in the FAQ's is the same whether a person has a temporary injury or permanent disability. I suggest you stop at Guest Relations when you get to the park and discuss what your particular needs are at that time, they will advise what assistance or accommodations are available. However, for the record, Disney's standard response for mobility or stamina issues is to rent a wheelchair or ECV. There is no way to skip lines, and in fact a GAC may result in longer lines through an alternate entrance. There is a lot of walking and it seems that would be more of a challenge for you than the lines.

Good luck!

Thanks! Good to know about the lines. Might just need to skip the parks this trip. Will see how I feel in 5 days and 3 flights!

I hope you feel better! Does your physician think your condition will improve on it's own or will you require more surgery? Having your leg go out and falling does NOT sound like a fun experience and indeed there is alot of walking at DL and DCA even though it's much smaller than WDW. Is there a reason you don't want to rent an ECV or have someone push you in a w/c?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter