Total Knee Replacement - Your Experience

I am 7 weeks post op and doing great. My surgeon does not believe in icing, elevating or PT and was told, do not listen to everyone, follow my instructions and I did. I was ready to ditch the walker before 2 weeks, used the cane for 2 weeks, outside only. I am walking totally normal and fully weight bearing. Had my 6 week check up last week and booked my other knee for October.

From what I have been told by my surgeon, PT is unnecessary as you will heal and get ROM back just by using it. He doesn’t want me to get hung up on what numbers I have for ROM, he saw what I could do and was happy.

People have told me that PT tends to make your knee tell you if it is too much. It may feel good during the day and I night be more painful, meaning you did too much with it. Putting you in the ODIC, over did it club.

Every patient is different, every knee is different. Full recovery is 1 year and the 2nd year you may even see improvements.

Good luck.

Next month I'll be two years out from my first knee replacement, and 18 months from my second. In the last few months, I've noticed a big reduction in the amount of pain. Before that, it was still waking me up at night.

Many have great stories to share of how much better their life changed due to successful surgery.
I am years out from my total knee replacement surgery and still not 100% but it’s still better than what it was.

If I had to do it again, would in a heartbeat.
partial relief is better than zero relief.

I'm 9 years out from my replacement. I almost never think about it. Took about 1 year to feel 99%.

Wishing all folks new to their new knees, or hips, or whatever joint, the best in your recoveries. Stick with it, you'll enjoy the end results.

Further talking with my surgeon's assistant has taught me that it's gonna be about 6 months, not 6 weeks, before I am comfortable doing things again, and about a year before I feel fully "like normal." Sigh. Don't get me wrong- it's improving every week, feeling less like there is a block of cement around my knee, less pain when I do too much, etc. I just didn't realize it'd be this long of a haul. Anyhow, I hope all of you who had surgery this summer are doing well.

My DH is 7+ months from his TKR. He still has issues with his IT band on the outside of his knee, something they kept saying was just leftover from surgery due to the clamps, but now agree (at the 6 month appt) that he's got an IT Band issue. I wasn't super impressed with his surgeon who said to "look at some Youtube videos". We're going to try to get him some PT from a group not associated with the ortho office.

I am 7 weeks post op and doing great. My surgeon does not believe in icing, elevating or PT and was told, do not listen to everyone, follow my instructions and I did. I was ready to ditch the walker before 2 weeks, used the cane for 2 weeks, outside only. I am walking totally normal and fully weight bearing. Had my 6 week check up last week and booked my other knee for October.

From what I have been told by my surgeon, PT is unnecessary as you will heal and get ROM back just by using it. He doesn’t want me to get hung up on what numbers I have for ROM, he saw what I could do and was happy.

People have told me that PT tends to make your knee tell you if it is too much. It may feel good during the day and I night be more painful, meaning you did too much with it. Putting you in the ODIC, over did it club.

Every patient is different, every knee is different. Full recovery is 1 year and the 2nd year you may even see improvements.

Good luck.

It's both fascinating and frustrating to read about the wide range of Dr opinions and post surgery care. It was our understanding that w/o ROM work, scar tissue would cause adhesions that would THEN prevent further ROM. My mother had both knees replaced (different hospitals and Drs) and the 2nd Dr said she never got full ROM after her first.

Next month I'll be two years out from my first knee replacement, and 18 months from my second. In the last few months, I've noticed a big reduction in the amount of pain. Before that, it was still waking me up at night.

That's great to read. My DH is over 7 months and still a bit frustrated. It didn't help when his Dr told him at his 6 month appt that some people walk in at 3 months and are thrilled and good to go.

I'm 9 years out from my replacement. I almost never think about it. Took about 1 year to feel 99%.

Wishing all folks new to their new knees, or hips, or whatever joint, the best in your recoveries. Stick with it, you'll enjoy the end results.

Given the wide variety of experiences, it's good to read about those of you still improving at 1 year+. Of course, we had people tell my DH they were SO GLAD they did it at 8 weeks. Then when that wasn't the case for him, someone else would say 3 months...then 6 months. Now we're at a year as a hopeful goal. In hindsight he wishes he'd waited. I'm not sure if that would have been the right course of action, but I think he realizes he'd rather have had his pre-surgery level of mobility (even with pain) for a few more years before doing it. And also, I suspect he wishes he'd talked to more people about their surgeons and methods, etc.

Thank you to everyone for sharing and I wish everyone their best!

My mom is about four months post op from her right TKR and already scheduled her left TKR. I went with her to her three month checkup and her surgeon was very happy with her ROM and progress. He told her there is nothing more physical therapy can do for her and only time will help with the remaining swelling which is honestly very minor. Her left knee with arthritis looks worse on a good day. She says she knows it's not her natural knee because it feels different, but there is no pain like there was before. It also feels more natural as time goes on.

Good luck to everyone in their recovery! I know it's not easy.

I can say that without a doubt by 1 year post op I didn't feel the strange artificial feeling at all. If it weren't for the lack of pain I'd never know they weren't natural. Well, that and the scar. Mine looks different than many because my surgeon used zip tie sutures. It's only a single straight line, no suture marks

I'm nearly 2 years post op from #1 and about 18 months from #2

I can say that without a doubt by 1 year post op I didn't feel the strange artificial feeling at all. If it weren't for the lack of pain I'd never know they weren't natural. Well, that and the scar. Mine looks different than many because my surgeon used zip tie sutures. It's only a single straight line, no suture marks

I'm nearly 2 years post op from #1 and about 18 months from #2
That's reassuring about the feeling!

I actually think that's what my mom had as well. Her incision is just a straight line and very smooth. She had a little clear strip on it that was removed at her two weeks post op and she showered like 3 or 4 days after the procedure.

That's reassuring about the feeling!

I actually think that's what my mom had as well. Her incision is just a straight line and very smooth. She had a little clear strip on it that was removed at her two weeks post op and she showered like 3 or 4 days after the procedure.
Most surgeons in my experience (several different states and regions), now use glue to close the outer layer of skin. Stitches are used internally and dissolve, but there are no external sutures. Meaning just the straight line of the scar.

Most surgeons in my experience (several different states and regions), now use glue to close the outer layer of skin. Stitches are used internally and dissolve, but there are no external sutures. Meaning just the straight line of the scar.

My DH had staples but he's healed very well with 1 small line. My sister who just had hers 2+ weeks ago has glue. BTW, she also took the option to remain awake for her surgery and watched it on the monitor! She also got a nerve ablation about 3-4 weeks before surgery that is/was supposed to help with the pain management following (she lives alone and wanted to minimize the assistance she got from my other sister who is local to her). So between the pre-op stuff, the method (robotic arm), the lack of being put to sleep, the closure method... -- it's almost like she had a different surgery than my DH!

I had total knee replacement in my right last November and in my left last December. So I'm 9 and 7 months out. That weird artificial feeling where you can tell there is something foreign in there is almost gone. A lot of the numbness has dissipated so there is just a small strip on the outside of each knee. I walk around all day without thinking about my knees, being an educator I'm constantly moving. The only time I feel something is when I have to sit on the floor and get back up, sitting criss cross is a little uncomfortable and I still have to get up old woman/doggie style :). I can walk for a few miles with no problem, my ankles and feet act up after 2 or 3 miles bc they are still adjusting to new angles, walking more, etc. This gets better every month and as I continue to work out. It's really been a total life change for the better for me.

Oh and I did pretty intensive at home and then at office PT. My Dr. did believe in getting ROM back soon after surgery. I admit I did cry during several PT sessions bc I was pushing myself hard but my ROM seems to be the same as when my knees were good - I don't feel much difference so it seems to have worked.

I had total knee replacement in my right last November and in my left last December. So I'm 9 and 7 months out. That weird artificial feeling where you can tell there is something foreign in there is almost gone. A lot of the numbness has dissipated so there is just a small strip on the outside of each knee. I walk around all day without thinking about my knees, being an educator I'm constantly moving. The only time I feel something is when I have to sit on the floor and get back up, sitting criss cross is a little uncomfortable and I still have to get up old woman/doggie style :). I can walk for a few miles with no problem, my ankles and feet act up after 2 or 3 miles bc they are still adjusting to new angles, walking more, etc. This gets better every month and as I continue to work out. It's really been a total life change for the better for me.

Oh and I did pretty intensive at home and then at office PT. My Dr. did believe in getting ROM back soon after surgery. I admit I did cry during several PT sessions bc I was pushing myself hard but my ROM seems to be the same as when my knees were good - I don't feel much difference so it seems to have worked.

This is so encouraging! I can feel that big block in my knee and was wondering if it'd ever go away! I am 11 weeks post surgery, but didn't return to work until this week, and only half-time. Wednesday I worked 4 hours, did the grocery shopping, and then went to PT. She measured my flexion and I'd lost almost 10 degrees. I was ready to cry, but you could see how swollen my knee was. I can't remember the last time I was on my feet for something like 6 consecutive hours! Today I worked about 5 hours earlier in the day and then went back in for 3 hours tonight, and my knee is not happy with me. However, I'm not working at all tomorrow so hopefully I can spend the day stretching and taking care of it, so when I get to PT tomorrow afternoon I'll get better measurements. Right now I am feeling like I'm never going to be "normal" again, so it was uplifting to ready your post!

I had my right knee replaced in January, and I'm feeling amazing. At my 6 month check up, I mentioned to the surgeon that I was having some residual pain in the back of the knee, and he diagnosed it as IT Band Syndrome. It could be related to the surgery, it could be related to something else, nobody knows. He gave me a shot of cortisone, and that pain is gone. I have zero pain in the knee, something I haven't experienced in years. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone (assuming you have the right surgeon, of course!).

I had my right knee replaced in January, and I'm feeling amazing. At my 6 month check up, I mentioned to the surgeon that I was having some residual pain in the back of the knee, and he diagnosed it as IT Band Syndrome. It could be related to the surgery, it could be related to something else, nobody knows. He gave me a shot of cortisone, and that pain is gone. I have zero pain in the knee, something I haven't experienced in years. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone (assuming you have the right surgeon, of course!).

That's great to hear. My DHs surgeon didn't offer anything. When I asked about PT specific to IT band he kinda shrugged and then suggested YT videos. I really wish my DH had talked to more people and done more research before using this guy. His old ortho (who did his 2 meniscus surgeries) retired and he was just assigned this Dr. He's seen him for years and likes him, but that's no way to select a TKR surgeon. I did see good reviews here an there and no bad ones, but also -- it wasn't my knee!

That's great to hear. My DHs surgeon didn't offer anything. When I asked about PT specific to IT band he kinda shrugged and then suggested YT videos. I really wish my DH had talked to more people and done more research before using this guy. His old ortho (who did his 2 meniscus surgeries) retired and he was just assigned this Dr. He's seen him for years and likes him, but that's no way to select a TKR surgeon. I did see good reviews here an there and no bad ones, but also -- it wasn't my knee!
One of the biggest pieces of advice I give people looking for a joint replacement is to get in with a PT before. Not only does doing pre-surgery PT often help post-op outcomes, we tend to know the good and bad surgeons in the area.

My DH is 7+ months from his TKR. He still has issues with his IT band on the outside of his knee, something they kept saying was just leftover from surgery due to the clamps, but now agree (at the 6 month appt) that he's got an IT Band issue. I wasn't super impressed with his surgeon who said to "look at some Youtube videos". We're going to try to get him some PT from a group not associated with the ortho office.

I'm quoting myself here. DH just had his 1 year appt with his surgeon last week and he surgeon FINALLY realized there is an issue with his IT band that won't go away (with stretching or PT). In January, I took a phone video of him when he was experiencing the pinching (it's periodic and very painful) to where he could not straighten his leg completely until he slightly bent his knee a few times and then it 'released'. The Dr FINALLY couldn't say that time would heal it. He said he wanted him to see his partner and perhaps they'd do a IT Band Release surgery.

He was able to get in to see the new Dr today. He wanted to try cortisone shot as a first step, admitting it has a low likelihood of solving the problem. He'll go back in 3 weeks to see how it's going. The more likely outcome is that he'll have to have a knee replacement revision surgery. I'm not sure if it's the poor communication of the original Dr or if he thought they'd go direct to the IT Band Release surgery, but we both had the impression that anything invasive would be minimal. But no, they'd open up the original scar, remove the plastic part of the implant and then take a look. He said it could be some cement from the surgery or could be something specific with my DH's bone anatomy and perhaps yes, IT Band Release. '

He said the recovery from a revision is 'about 30%' of the recovery experience for TKR. So it was a bit deflating to DH to go from what was presented as a quick procedure to a scaled down version of what he went thru 13 months ago.

(as a less important aside, we're kind of annoyed that he wasn't taken seriously for so long, now we've turned over the calendar year, will have to meet our high-ish deductible and likely our high(er) max out of pocket. Obviously his health and happiness is the most important thing, but this will cost us about $7k rather than $0 if we'd done it just 2 months ago.)

I presume depending on why you are having the revision and what has to be done impacts your recovery. But we're not having to think about how this will impact our summer travel plans. Even if the surgeon can move forward, we have a son getting married in late March, but some firm plans for July (that would have included hiking originally) and tentative int'l travel in June. Now we wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter