Total Rookie Looking for Help from Experienced Disney Veterans

Season810

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! So, I'm a total Disney World rookie and I'm hoping to possibly get some tips here. I finally booked my families first ever Disney World vacation in March for the end of July beginning of August (1 week trip). We will never be able to book 180 days out as my husband is active duty Army and never knows when his leave will be. We are finally stationed close enough to make the drive and our two girls are old enough to enjoy the park (5 and 8). I booked our dining reservations having no clue how popular places are or where to eat. We got the deluxe dining plan (I know tons of food) as we are trying to make this a trip of a lifetime as we are going to be stationed out of the country for the next three years. We got some pretty good reservations as I'm reading on this forum, but with about 44 days out until we leave is it even at all possible to get a 'Ohana dinner or BOG dinner at an acceptable dinner time for children? I've been checking daily now and nothing reasonable for us has come up. We only have one day available for each possible reservation as we have other reservations and our fast passes for the parks booked. Thanks so much I'm learning a ton!

Hi everyone! So, I'm a total Disney World rookie and I'm hoping to possibly get some tips here. I finally booked my families first ever Disney World vacation in March for the end of July beginning of August (1 week trip). We will never be able to book 180 days out as my husband is active duty Army and never knows when his leave will be. We are finally stationed close enough to make the drive and our two girls are old enough to enjoy the park (5 and 8). I booked our dining reservations having no clue how popular places are or where to eat. We got the deluxe dining plan (I know tons of food) as we are trying to make this a trip of a lifetime as we are going to be stationed out of the country for the next three years. We got some pretty good reservations as I'm reading on this forum, but with about 44 days out until we leave is it even at all possible to get a 'Ohana dinner or BOG dinner at an acceptable dinner time for children? I've been checking daily now and nothing reasonable for us has come up. We only have one day available for each possible reservation as we have other reservations and our fast passes for the parks booked. Thanks so much I'm learning a ton!

It's been many, many years since I have followed/booked our last trip . . . so I am relearning all this, too! Several people have mentioned getting ADR's through apps?? I'm reading, lurking, learning, also! Good luck to you!

In general, I'm not a fan of dining plans when you're booking inside of 180, as you have credits looming over you and then obsess about booking to use them/get the value.

It may be possible to get BOG or 'Ohana, but you're most likely to find them the night before and need extreme flexibility. Having two kids, one day available for each possible reservation, and DxDP are both anti-flexibility there. I wouldn't expect to be successful with those limiters.

There is a reservation alert tool on touring plans website that might help you get them more quickly.

My guess is that being only 44 days out, you are going to start seeing reservations cancel. Final payments for trips are rapidly approaching and people will be making final decisions on travel, park days, dining times, etc and cancellations will occur. Sign up for the touring plans reservation finder (its free) and it will help you find the ones you want as people release them. Have a wonderful time on your trip!

Season810 - first as a veteran, thanks not only your husband but you and the kids as well - it is a team effort for sure! The above folks are correct - get the free account at Touring Plans. You can then set up 2 alerts. It is all a piece of cake and works! Jump on it when your alert goes off :). Have a great trip!

At the 30 day mark, and for a few days after, check constantly. People may find a hard to get FP, and cancel the conflicting ADR.

Thank you everyone who has responded! I set up my reservation watch with Touring Plans. I know having time restraints on eating is a disadvantage, but I'm going to remain hopeful! We are just grateful to have the opportunity to be able to go in the first place as this has been a dream of ours!

Season810 - first as a veteran, thanks not only your husband but you and the kids as well - it is a team effort for sure! The above folks are correct - get the free account at Touring Plans. You can then set up 2 alerts. It is all a piece of cake and works! Jump on it when your alert goes off :). Have a great trip!
Thank you so very much for your kind words and advice! My husband has been in for 13 years now and you are correct it is team effort!

Update: Figured I begin checking on my own and what do you know I ended up getting a 5:10 dinner reservation at BOG at 40 days out. I almost fell out of my chair when I received the confirmation number:). My girls are going to be thrilled! I'm still using the reservation finder as it can't hurt to have a back up for O'hana!

Update Again: At 37 days out was able to get a 5:05 dinner reservation at O'hana! Yippy! Again got it without the reservation finder notifying me as it just popped up on the website. Still have it running for one more and I'm trying to remain hopeful!

Final Update: At 36 days out was able to get the final reservation at Sci-Fi Dine In Theater at 5:15. Super excited! Glad I took everyone's advice and just kept checking!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter