TOTW policy change?

sharkyandbones

Mouseketeer
So we were at AKV recently and decided to head over to BLT to watch the MK fireworks from the TOTW observation deck. To our surprise (about 5 min before start time), there was no podium at all in front of the elevators and we were able to just go up to the 16th floor. There was a podium in front of the lounge of course, just none before then. Is it always like this now?

Last time we were there, the podium was downstairs and you still needed to check in there.

But, it is interesting as getting to the 16th floor has always required a CM card.

Maybe they were just short-staffed that evening.

IMO, if they routinely don't check on first floor, that would mean anyone could go up to the deck to watch the fireworks.
There are many who really only want to watch the fireworks from the deck and don't necessarily care to go into the lounge or buy a drink.. If they don't check, at some point, the general public will also go up, making the deck very crowded, and possibly unsafe.

I think the OP just encountered an odd evening, or on a 'slow' evening, they just close the first floor check in podium a few minutes early.

So we were at AKV recently and decided to head over to BLT to watch the MK fireworks from the TOTW observation deck. To our surprise (about 5 min before start time), there was no podium at all in front of the elevators and we were able to just go up to the 16th floor. There was a podium in front of the lounge of course, just none before then. Is it always like this now?
Were you able to get on the elevator and simply select the 16th floor? You usually have to swipe an access get to select that floor, even if your room is there. Did someone else hit the button for you?

Maybe they were just short-staffed that evening.

IMO, if they routinely don't check on first floor, that would mean anyone could go up to the deck to watch the fireworks.
There are many who really only want to watch the fireworks from the deck and don't necessarily care to go into the lounge or buy a drink.. If they don't check, at some point, the general public will also go up, making the deck very crowded, and possibly unsafe.

I think the OP just encountered an odd evening, or on a 'slow' evening, they just close the first floor check in podium a few minutes early.
That was my initial thought, maybe they just closed it early. I can't recall, but do they remove the podium at night or do they usually leave it there? There was no podium at all when we arrived.

FWIW, it was pretty crowded up there that night, more so than we had seen it in the past...

Were you able to get on the elevator and simply select the 16th floor? You usually have to swipe an access get to select that floor, even if your room is there. Did someone else hit the button for you?
Yes, we were able to select 16, no card needed.

Heard a rumor on another site that they were considering opening access for TOTWL to the public (rumor source was a current bartender there). I just can't imagine they would go from DVC exclusive, to DVC-blue card exclusive and then do a complete 180 and make it open to the general public, unless they felt that the lounge wasn't bringing in enough money. Any one else hear anything similar?

On the evening on July 31, they were still screening guests in the lobby before allowing them up to the 16th floor.

Heard a rumor on another site that they were considering opening access for TOTWL to the public (rumor source was a current bartender there). I just can't imagine they would go from DVC exclusive, to DVC-blue card exclusive and then do a complete 180 and make it open to the general public, unless they felt that the lounge wasn't bringing in enough money. Any one else hear anything similar?
I cannot see that happening. From an overall sales perspective, the lounge is flawed in that its appeal is limited to a specific 30-45 minute window of time and they don't have the facilities to serve a large number of guests in that timeframe.

Last time we visited, there were plenty of people inside the lounge. Presumably those who paid for the meal package and reserved seating. Outside there were around 100 people who received no bar service whatsoever. Opening up the lounge to more people would only mean more visitors who aren't able to be served a cocktail before the end of fireworks.

In the past I've seen them experiment with a portable bar outside. That's a better immediate solution to improve sales. The time I saw it, the outside line was always 3-4 people deep waiting to order. It doesn't take many $15 cocktails to pay for the overhead, so I'm really not sure why they don't do that more regularly.

I cannot see that happening. From an overall sales perspective, the lounge is flawed in that its appeal is limited to a specific 30-45 minute window of time and they don't have the facilities to serve a large number of guests in that timeframe.

Last time we visited, there were plenty of people inside the lounge. Presumably those who paid for the meal package and reserved seating. Outside there were around 100 people who received no bar service whatsoever. Opening up the lounge to more people would only mean more visitors who aren't able to be served a cocktail before the end of fireworks.

In the past I've seen them experiment with a portable bar outside. That's a better immediate solution to improve sales. The time I saw it, the outside line was always 3-4 people deep waiting to order. It doesn't take many $15 cocktails to pay for the overhead, so I'm really not sure why they don't do that more regularly.
It's a shame it has such limited appeal. We went for the first time this past weekend and appreciated having something open past 11pm (we usually travel with 2 little ones so can't make it up there otherwise). Went at around 11pm for the seven lair cake and a nightcap.

Monday night we took the elevator straight up to the 16th floor. The podium was just inside the doors of the TOTWL.

Slightly off topic but quick question about TOTW if anyone knows. Can you access the lounge with your blue card membership even if you are renting points for that particular stay?

Do you have go make reservations for TOTW? My wife and I just added direct at GFV but we are staying at BLT in December and would like to check out TOTW.

I went Friday night for the enchantment at the top dessert party. There was no one downstairs checking and the elevators were set to go to the 16th floor. The podium was set up outside the lounge doors. The cast members were telling anyone with desert party reservations to come back and lineup at 8:45 and giving us wristbands. Folks just there for the fireworks or a beverage were directed to the deck where the portable bar was set up.

We were there last week for Wicked Wind Down, and the podium was staffed, they checked for the DVC-Y and had to swipe us up to the 16th floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter