Tough to be a bug ?!

MamaBear248

Mouseketeer
Just wondering how "scary" this could be for a 6 year old girl ?! She will have just turned 6 for our trip in May !!! Thanks

Ps
She is not afraid of the dark ...

Just wondering how "scary" this could be for a 6 year old girl ?! She will have just turned 6 for our trip in May !!! Thanks

Ps
She is not afraid of the dark ...

Depends on the kid.
(Heck, it depends on the guest, of ANY age.)

Warning to those who have NOT been...

SPOILERS - SPOILERS - SPOILERS - SPOILERS - SPOILERS - SPOILERS

In Its Tough to Be a Bug, there are in-theater effects that do NOT go away if you remove the glasses.

ITtBaB has some HORRIFIC things, like a HUGE villainous "Hopper" who jumps into the room (on the Stage-Left (audience right) side), giant black-widow spiders dropping nearly to within arm's reach, and the theater is instantly filled with cold water-vapor "bug-spray" that engulfs all but the last few rows.

Please, parents, HEED the WARNINGS they give before these attractions and save your child (and those sitting nearby) some unpleasant movie-moments.

--------

ITTBAB really can be a day-wrecking experience for children.
They may not trust any other ride for the rest of the day (and, maybe, beyond).

In addition to the 3D movie, there are effects (IN the theater) that PHYSICALLY poke and "tickle" you, PHYSICALLY drop down into your "personal space", engulf you completely in opaque white fog, and overwhelm you with LOUD noises, giant threatening animatronics and sprays of water.

I LOVE this attraction.
But it can PETRIFY children to the point of panicked shreiks and unrelenting sobbing throughout the show.

Heed the warnings.
This attraction can seem very "cute" for adults, but kids may not understand that it is all harmless effects.

Robo said:
ITTBAB really can be a day-wrecking experience for children.
They may not trust any other ride for the rest of the day (and, maybe, beyond).

I LOVE this attraction.
But it can PETRIFY children to the point of panicked shreiks and unrelenting sobbing throughout the show.

Heed the warnings.
This attraction can seem very "cute" for adults, but kids may not understand that it is all harmless effects.

Seriously true. It was the first 3d experience we took our kids on and it traumatized them for the day, and then for every other 3d during the trip. And they were 9 and 10 yo boys.

I still regret it!

I agree with the warnings & it totally depends on the kid.

My DD LOVES this attraction & always has, but she also knows the movie well, understood the irony & humor in it & wasn't scared of things like Hopper because his character was in line with what she "knew" of him from the movie.

But I have NEVER, in all the years, across multiple shows, been in a showing without at least ONE screaming child!

I was nine when I first saw it and I was so terrified I started to cry. I will never, ever, go and see that show again. Ever.

our DD at just about 7 melted in this attraction, face buried in my wifes neck and WALED. We were in the middle of the row and no way to get her out, I still feel bad for taking her in there, it was our first time as well and did not know what to expect fully of the attraction and how she would react. She has been back to WDW 2 times since then than last time when she was 14 and she still has not gone back in, she is saying maybe this time in January.

My wife and I have been into it one more time since then and there was many kids crying to melt down stage.

Only you know if your child will handle it well

good luck

Goofydad621

I remember being 12 going on 13 and going to AK on opening day and seeing that show. I was sitting next to my sister (who was 3) and as soon as we felt the insects leaving, my sister jumped on my moms lap and I jumped on top of her. It scared the crap out of me hahahaha.

On the other hand, when I took my, at the time, 1 y/o, 4 y/o and 6 y/o sons for the first time, they didn't even flinch. They loved it and still do. I guess it depends on the child. I gotta be honest tho, I still cringe in my seat when the spiders drop from the ceiling. *shudder*

Avoid it if you think she will be afraid of any of the following:

Bugs
Spiders
Loud noises
Flashing light effects
Fog
Audience screaming
Unexpected touching (not by people)

I've known of several people who took their kids, and the kids refused to go on any ride or show they couldn't see from outside for the rest of the trip.

My wife hates it, but I LOVE it. WHOLE lotta fun. My two oldest (13 and 8) squealed with delight.

As I was typing this, my six-year old asked me if the bugs were real - the ones that crawl 'under your backside.'

Thank you everyone for your replies I'm thinking we might skip it this trip and save it for the next trip in a few years !!!

Thank you everyone for your replies I think we are going to skip it this trip and save it for our next trip in a few years !!!

I'm 30+ and I hate it! It's dark & smelly & I won't waste my time again on it. I have similar feelings for Stitch... If she likes that, she will like Tough to be a Bug.

I was nine when I first saw it and I was so terrified I started to cry. I will never, ever, go and see that show again. Ever.

My oldest feels that way about Dinosaur. She was 10 and was so scared that to this day she refuses to ride it.

I'm considering seeing this attraction when I go in January. It's just me and DH (no kids yet). Do these spiders that drop from the ceiling look like real spiders or do they look cartoon-ish? I'm not too sure of seeing it myself if the spiders look real...

I would definitely say it depends on the child! My DD was six when she first saw it, and she LOVED it. I don't remember her being scared at all, and she's actually not a huge fan of bugs, lol. In fact, I'm a little surprised that some kids have such a bad reaction to it, as I really don't remember her being anything but happy watching it. Like I said, it must depend on the child, and I guess only the parent can judge what really freaks their own kid out, and choose accordingly.

We were there last week and my 6 year old daughter & 10 year old daughter loved it! My 6 yr really loved when the butterfly flew out in front of her.

I'm considering seeing this attraction when I go in January. It's just me and DH (no kids yet). Do these spiders that drop from the ceiling look like real spiders or do they look cartoon-ish? I'm not too sure of seeing it myself if the spiders look real...

They are giant (larger than 2 feet) "puppet" spiders that resemble "real" spiders... if spiders were over 2 feet in size.

How you react is how you feel about a dozen+ 2-foot spiders dropping down from the ceiling.

Think you've made a good decision OP!! :) Just wanted to share my traumatic ITtBaB story!!

I was five! I LOVED Bugs Life the movie and in my parent's defense they thought I'd love it!!! I did not!! I'm sure I screamed and cried during the whole thing (so sorry to anyone there that day in 2000 lol) and refused to do anything that said 3D until...well...last Tuesday? Not that long!! I did go back in 2007 when I was older and I liked it a bit better but I'll admit one of my main memories from childhood is that show and it's not a happy one!!

I also (to this day) try to get a good feel of what a show or ride is going to be like before I go on it and I think it's because of ITtBaB!!

That being said YouTube it, let her know what to expect, and still maybe wait a few years!!

Have a GREAT trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter