Toughest reservations to get - Help rank

slyster

DIS Veteran
My 60 day window opens in a couple of weeks. We will be staying 7 nights. Can you tell me which of these is the toughest to get and rank them in order?

Ohana, California Grill, Le Cellier, and Hollywood Brown Derby

I am thinking it's Ohana or California Grill especially with Ohana just opening up again?

I want to try and reserve California Grill around 7pm-8pm so if there are fireworks at that time, we will have a nice view there.

What it used to be before Covid, in my opinion:

Ohana, California Grill, Le Cellier and Hollywood BD a very distant 4th.

Not sure it’s any different now regarding reservation acquisition difficulty. Prob the same, if not more difficult now, given the lack of options.

And I would say try and plan for Ohana and CG to be on the back end of your trip, so you have an easier time finding good reservation times, for when your 60 day window opens up.

What it used to be before Covid, in my opinion:

Ohana, California Grill, Le Cellier and Hollywood BD a very distant 4th.

Not sure it’s any different now regarding reservation acquisition difficulty. Prob the same, if not more difficult now, given the lack of options.

And I would say try and plan for Ohana and CG to be on the back end of your trip, so you have an easier time finding good reservation times, for when your 60 day window opens up.

Oh thanks for that advice. I will plan them for later in our week. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks!

My 60 day window opens in a couple of weeks. We will be staying 7 nights. Can you tell me which of these is the toughest to get and rank them in order?

I am thinking it's Ohana or California Grill especially with Ohana just opening up again?

I want to try and reserve California Grill around 7pm-8pm so if there are fireworks at that time, we will have a nice view there.
1. ‘Ohana
2. CG
3. HBG
4. Le Cellier

It sounds as if you’ll be at WDW somewhere around September/August, so check what time the sun goes down to pick your ADR time in order to see the fireworks during your time at CG.

ETA: Should you be staying at Poly consider ordering the Twilight Feast via room service. Same food minus the ice cream with a guaranteed ADR although the meal is now 2 points instead of 1 on the dining plan.

Last edited:

For what it's worth, I just booked my ADRs yesterday, and O'hana reservations were plentiful--I had my pick of days and times. Le Cellier was gone at peak dinner times but there were later times available. California Grill was limited times available, but still not too bad. HBD was downright easy.

*edited to add* I wouldn't be surprised if the menu changes were making O'Hana easier. Not a ton of people keen on chicken and sausages and whatever "shrimp casserole" is 😬

For what it's worth, I just booked my ADRs yesterday, and O'hana reservations were plentiful--I had my pick of days and times. Le Cellier was gone at peak dinner times but there were later times available. California Grill was limited times available, but still not too bad. HBD was downright easy.

*edited to add* I wouldn't be surprised if the menu changes were making O'Hana easier. Not a ton of people keen on chicken and sausages and whatever "shrimp casserole" is 😬
May I ask what time you were online and booked? It seems like you were able to get some very tough ones.

May I ask what time you were online and booked? It seems like you were able to get some very tough ones.
I was actually looking around 9am in the morning ET (I'm in an earlier time zone and I refuse to do middle-of-the-night bookings any more), but I guess I should have qualified my post to explain--I was really only looking at those restaurants in the second half of a 7-day window, which is why they were easier. OP said they had 7-days too so I figured that was relevant. Did not look at all for those restaurants the first few days after 60, but I think it's safe to say it'd be harder then. Looking exactly 60 days from now, HBD is the only one of those with dinner availability, which is what I'd expect. Both Le Cellier and HBD have lunch availability 60 days from now though.

I always recommend putting the harder restaurants at the end of the trip to maximize the 60+length-of-stay advantage whenever possible. This will be our fourth trip post-covid, and each time, it seems like you really have to have to look at at least 60+3 to get good times for the in-demand restaurants. The one time we did a split stay was awful for dining. Trying to book at 60 days exactly is pretty much a complete wash--we just ate quick service for our arrival day each time.

For those who say there is no on-site advantage any more, I wonder, have they tried booking dining lately?

I wonder if folks don’t realize Obanas is out there yet?

I am hoping I get the reservations we want. I will be ok if we get 3 out of 4 though. We are staying at bwi so I love that there are other places near by. We would have loved to get yachtsmen but I don’t think they will be open for a while.

I am hoping I get the reservations we want. I will be ok if we get 3 out of 4 though. We are staying at bwi so I love that there are other places near by. We would have loved to get yachtsmen but I don’t think they will be open for a while.
Tradeoff for Le Cellier assuming Yachtsman isn’t available: Boathouse also serves steaks and seafood and does them nicely. Never eaten at Ale and Compass so can’t say anything about it.
BW is our hands down favorite hotel on the lake; enjoy yourselves.

I always check menus before reserving. I think the new menu at Ohana is why there is availability now when it used to be a hot ticket.

I'd prioritize California Grill, seeing as you have a distinct time you'd like to be there. Plus, it's always been popular and difficult to get. Like another user called, push it to to the end of your trip, but I'd avoid weekends. It's a big date spot.

Ohana is gonna be hot now. A lot of internet users complained about the new menu, but trust me, it'll still be a difficult reservation to get.

Le Cellier and Brown Derby are very underrated. I don't think you'll have much of an issue getting em, but I haven't been back in 2-ish years.

We have never had a problem getting dining reservations if we do so the first day of availability. Of the places you mention our favorite is CG, then LC, followed by HBD and Ohana. If you get reservations at CG save your reciept for free passage to the roof for fireworks if your reservation is not at the same time as the fireworks. We actually like to eat early and then come back so our meal is not interrupted and/or so no people are looking over and around our window seats.

I'd prioritize California Grill, seeing as you have a distinct time you'd like to be there. Plus, it's always been popular and difficult to get. Like another user called, push it to to the end of your trip, but I'd avoid weekends. It's a big date spot.

Ohana is gonna be hot now. A lot of internet users complained about the new menu, but trust me, it'll still be a difficult reservation to get.

Le Cellier and Brown Derby are very underrated. I don't think you'll have much of an issue getting em, but I haven't been back in 2-ish years.

Ohanas is the only one I wasn't able to get 5 years ago. I am hoping its not a big let down.

Ohanas is the only one I wasn't able to get 5 years ago. I am hoping its not a big let down.
Everyone has a different experience and opinion but Ohana was a one and done for us. We go to the Sunday Brunch at CG every visit and have been to LC multiple times and Brown Derby three times. We used to do dinner at CG but once we started doing the Sunday Brunch we have not been back for dinner. Brunch is fantastic.

Everyone has a different experience and opinion but Ohana was a one and done for us. We go to the Sunday Brunch at CG every visit and have been to LC multiple times and Brown Derby three times. We used to do dinner at CG but once we started doing the Sunday Brunch we have not been back for dinner. Brunch is fantastic.

Are they currently serving brunch?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter