• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tour de Deux Mondes (WDW version) (March 2015)

Intro:

I finally finished the leaving Austin and Uni parts of the report (3/13-17). See the link in the previous post. This is a trip report for our WDW portion of the trip from 3/17-3/21. This is my first trip report. I hope it is helpful to others. I also hope it helps me keep the memories alive a little longer, since we won't be going back for a while. We are a family of 3 from Austin, TX: me, DH, and DS9. This was our 3rd trip to WDW as a family since 2012, and our first trip to Universal. We went to DLR in 2013. I went to WDW twice as a child in the mid-80s. We spent the first 4 nights of the trip at Universal and then switched to WDW. We liked Universal very much, and I recommend anyone that is interested to go but hasn't been to read up on it. As much as we liked it, it didn't quite feel like home though.

Day 5 Checking Out of Royal Pacific/Heading to POR & DTD (Tuesday, 3/17):

POR Arrival:
We left RPR pretty early, because we wanted to get to DTD early to shop and then have lunch at T-Rex at 11am. We hadn't received an email about our room being ready yet, but it was still before 10am. The guard scanned DH's Magic Band and let us into the parking lot. We checked our luggage at bell services, moved our car out of the short term parking up front to the back portion of the lot near the main building, and headed over to the boat dock to get the first one to DTD. It arrived about 10:10am. I didn't realize that the boats were so slow. Plus, they have to stop at POFQ too. I think it took 20 minutes to get from POR to DTD, so keep that in mind.

DTD:
Goofy's Candy Store - This was our first visit to the Marketplace side of DTD at WDW. We had been to the one at DLR before and a little to the WDW West End to see La Nouba. We headed straight for Goofy's candy store. I really wanted to do the custom treats. I got marshmallows with cookie crumbs and dark chocolate. DH got the gingerbread cookie with dark chocolate and the mini chocolate chip mix. DS got the Mickey rice krispy treat with milk chocolate, cookie crumbs, and cinnamon/sugar. We bought a couple of other things. I didn't want to buy too much, because we had already spent a fortune at Honeydukes at Uni and had that huge bag to take home. We couldn't eat our treats right away, because we had a lunch ADR at T-Rex in less than an hour. Unfortunately, we were so busy the whole time at WDW, that we didn't get to eat the treats until the plane ride home. The rice krispy treat was still the best. I was kicking myself for not having got one. They are one of my favorite Disney treats. The marshmallows were good but small. The gingerbread cookie was too sweat and too heavy. Next time, we will each get our own rice krispy treat.

World of Disney - We still had some time to kill, so DH and DS went to the Lego Store, while I went to World of Disney. It was awesome. I only went to get a pressed penny book and maybe some pressed pennies. I walked out of there with those, plus some charms, and an Alice tea cup/mug. I was just mesmerized. I really want to go back and spend more time. We had a little bit of time after lunch, and DS needed to get a birthday present for a party that was right after we landed in Austin. So, we headed back, and he got a stuffed Cheshire cat. They had to pull me out of there again.

T-Rex - We have eaten at several Rainforest Cafes but had never been to T-Rex. I had been trying to go on the two previous WDW visits but couldn't manage it. This time was the time. It was very cool inside. I am glad that we got to go. We were seated in the meteor room. DS and I walked around the restaurant, took pictures, and did a little souvenir and penny press shopping before our food came. I ordered the Guacasaurus burger and a really tasty alcoholic beverage, but I can't remember the name. It was good. Not the best burger I have ever had but tasty and cooked right. I only ate half, and mostly the meat, because I wanted to save room for our dinner at V&A that night. DS got mac n cheese and the scary dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets:scared: He liked it. DH got the Paleozoic chicken sandwich and a tasty beverage. The chicken sandwich was alright. We didn't expect the food to be the best ever, because we had been to Rainforest Cafe. However, for the price, the food, drinks, and atmosphere were good. I would go again but probably not until we had tried other places in DTD first.

We really needed to get back to POR and the car, so that DH and DS could drive me to the Grand Floridian for my massage. So we booked for the boat. The boat stops at POFQ before hitting POR.

Day 5 PM Grand Floridian Massage/Polynesian (Tuesday, 3/17):

Grand Floridian Spa - I barely made it to my 2pm appointment in time. DTD, the boat, and the car hadn't taken longer than I had expected. DH and DS went back to the hotel to get the luggage in the room and swim. We had gotten the email about our being ready at 12:30pm. I didn't have time before the appointment to use the steam/sauna room. I had been to the Saratoga Springs Spa previously, when they were remodeling the GF Spa. The GF spa was nicer, but I don't think the SS spa had been remodeled yet. I got the GF Signature Massage and Body Wrap. It was nice and relaxing, like being a sleeping baby wrapped in a blanky. It was very relaxing and just what I needed after walking around Universal for 3 days. I got to pick a color and aroma for the procedure too. Afterwards, yes it had to end:( I checked out the sauna and steam room. It was small and had seen better days. With the Florida humidity, there was some mildew. I bet that's a never ending battle in a sauna in Florida. It was decorate nicely though. I didn't want to bother with my swimsuit, so I just dangled my legs in the hot tub, which is what needed it the most anyway. I didn't have too much time to hang around, because I had to meet DH and DS at the Pineapple Lanai at Poly. I had taken care of the bill, including gratuity, before the procedure, which was kind of nice and relaxing to be done with. They didn't push products at all, which was totally opposite of the DCL cruise we took in July. The SS spa didn't push products previously either.

Polynesian and Pineapple Lanai - I took the path to Poly from GF. I could see the over-the-water bungalows in the distance. We had stayed a few days at Poly in late July, so we saw some of the construction. The bungalows were done this time. From a distance, they looked like state park cabins. They looked very cheap and bland. I didn't have a chance to get up close though. The lava pool was still under construction and covered up. I saw where the new Trader Sam's Grog Grotto is going, but it was still closed. I hadn't seen the new lobby in person. It still makes me sad that the waterfall is gone, because I remember looking at it as a child and dreaming of staying in a place like that someday. The glass balls hanging from the ceiling are neat, especially from upstairs, and the lobby is more open with a lot of seating space. They still don't have the tiki dude in the lobby yet. I headed for the pressed Polynesian quarter machine, because I had forgotten on our two previous visits. The upstairs is all open now too; it had been closed off with walls in July. I found the Pineapple Lanai downstairs and outside and looked at the menu. I decided to wait for DH and DS in the lobby. They finally made it. DH parked at the TTC and then had to take a shuttle to the actual TTC and walk over. It took forever. DH and I split a pineapple dole whip in a souvenir bowl. DS got vanilla in a souvenir bowl; he doesn't like the pineapple:( We ate, looked at the lobby a little, and headed over to the TTC, where we had to wait for 3 trams to come before the villains one showed up. The drive back took longer than expected too. The whole parking a car, taking the tram to the TTC, and then getting the monorail to MK is terrible. That's why we decided to just take the bus from POR to MK on our MK day.

Day 5 PM Getting Ready for Dinner/Poly Kids Club (Tuesday, 3/17):

We had to hustle to get ready. Dinner was at 6pm, and we had to drop DS at the kids club at Poly first. I was pretty grumpy while getting ready, because it was really ruining the peaceful buzz I had from the massage and the dole whip. It was my fault for over-scheduling though. Next time we want to go to Poly, we should say we are going to eat there. We did eat the Pineapple Lanai and might have gotten a drink, if we had time. It took us longer to deal with the parking and trams than we were actually at the Poly.

We were hurrying out the room to the car. A CM was blocking the sidewalk with one of those little cars, like a golf cart, they use to transport stuff. I know I gave him a dirty look, because I wasn't about to hike it in the grass and mud in heels to get around him. He asked us if something was wrong. Well, let me see, I am wearing uncomfortable clothes and shoes and decked out to the nines. DH is in a suit and tie. How many people walk around Disney like that? Then his light bulb went on, and he said "Oh, you must be late for dinner". I have gave him my best Cheshire cat grin:ccat:, and he finally moved his car off the sidewalk. We had a bit of traffic getting to Poly, but we were still not late yet. We parked the car in the limo/taxi area in front of the hotel, and DH an DS ran for the kids club. One taxi showed up before he could get back, and our car was taking the other spot. Luckily, no more showed up. DH ran to the car, and we blasted over to GF. The guard only looked at DH's drivers license and took his word about the ADR.

Day 5 PM Victoria & Albert (Tuesday, 3/17):

We hustled to the back of the hotel and up the stairs. Well, as best as I can hustle in heels. I am an engineer and only wear heels a handful of times a year. The service was impeccable from the minute we entered the hostess stand. We were seated in a beautiful old fashioned room, the main dining room, with low lights. The hostess and servers were all wearing Victorian inspired clothing.

I had been wanting to eat here since the first time we went to WDW. We ate at Remy on DCL Fantasy in July, and since they both have one of the same chefs, eating here this trip was a must. I had been a little reluctant to eat here previously, because I am not a big meat eater. I don't usually order beef or pork, and definitely tartar. I also do not like caviar or raw/undercooked eggs. I am not a big fan of innards or sweat breads. Basically, everything that Anthony Bourdain loves; he would despise me. After eating at Remy and discovering that foods outside of my normal comfort zone can be delicious (lamb tartar anyone?), I knew that I would love V&A.

Our servers were immensely knowledgable and very friendly. They immediately made us feel comfortable and put us at ease. We decided to get the wine pairings:drinking1We had done it at Remy and really liked it. Plus, why not? My liver still functions well. The first glass was champagne with the amuse bouche, and it was delicious. I don't remember the amuse bouche, but I do remember it tasted wonderful. Throughout the entire meal, the pour sizes were very satisfactory. It was enough wine to get a good taste and to finish the dish. It wasn't so much that I felt like I had alcohol poisoning afterward. The chosen wines went fabulously with each dish.

Along with each dish, there was also a bread and butter pairing. Talk about a place after my own heart. I don't remember all of them, but the black truffle bread and black truffle butter were divine. The breads were always served warm, and the butter was at the perfect temperature for spreading without melting.

My meal:
1) Poussin with Marble Potatoes and Balsamic Froth & Poet's Leap Riesling - It was so good. I luckily had some bread left, so that I could sop the remaining balsamic froth. The presentation was like art work.
2) Masago Crusted Maine Scallop with Coconut Curry Broth & Domaines Schlumberger Gewurtztraminer - I love sea scallops, so I had to get this. The curry, wine, and scallops were perfect together. This might have been my favorite dish, other than the cheese plate and souffle.
3) Quail with Cardamom and Sunchokes & Highflyer Centerine Syrah Blend - The Syrah and cardamom really played off each other well. I am usually not a big fan of quail, but that bone was chewed clean.
4) Australian Kobe-Style Beef Tenderloin with Potato Turnip Gratin & Il Fauno di Arcanum Super Tuscan - I struggled a bit with the entree. I am usually not huge on beef, and this had a surcharge. However, the veal, duck, and lamb weren't calling to me. It was very good. I usually order steak medium well, but I knew that would be sacrilege. So, I did medium. I can't hack it if it's too rare. The beef was perfect and just melted in your mouth. The Tuscan was excellent and really helped the meat to melt like butter. The gratin was awesome. I love cheese, potatoes, and turnips, so they couldn't have gone wrong with this dish.
5) Cheese plate with Gouda Reypenaer, Point Reyes Toma, Wyngaard Chevre Affine, Colston Bassett Stilton & Quintan do Crasto Late Bottled Vintage Porto - This was fabulous. DH and I love cheese, especially blue cheese. It's a holiday tradition at our house to have blue cheese and Port. So, this was just right on the mark. All of the cheeses were great.
6) Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Souffle - I cant' resist a chocolate souffle. It was divine.

DS's meal:
1) Colorado Bison with Black Radish Slaw and Kumquats & Jules Taylor Sauvignon Blanc - It was good.
2) Virginia Black Bass with "Clam Chowder" & Paul Hobbs "Crossbarn" Chardonnay - The Chardonnay paired well with the bass.
3) Berkshire Pork with Cabbage Tart and Brussels Sprouts & Ridge "Three Valleys" - Very tasty. Nice layer of fat without being disgusting
4) True Japanese Kobe Beef with Potato Turnip Gratin - DS said "it was real, and it was spectacular":) This was his favorite dish. We did a side-by-side comparison of the real deal versus the downunder version. DS got his medium rare; whereas, I got medium. Barring that difference, we could both taste the subtle, distinctive, buttery smoothness of the Japanese Kobe. This really did melt in your mouth. I wish I tasted that good, because you know that you have been living a life of luxury and pure indulgence when you do taste that good. The price difference was significant though between the two, $75. Not being a huge beef fan, it probably would not be worth that to me. It was definitely worth the splurge once, but maybe not all the time. DS thought it was twice as good as the Aussie Kobe but not three times as good. It was the best filet that he has ever had. I was glad to have been able to sample DS's.
5) Cheese plate too - We both love cheese and didn't want to share. So, we each got our own plate.
6) Tanzanian Chocolate Timbale with Orange Scented Milk Chocolate Gelato - DS is a huge chocolate fan, so I let him get this one. We, of course, sampled each others desserts. This was really good and really rich. I love chocolate and orange together.

This was definitely one of the best meals we have ever had. I would say V&A, Remy, and Nobu are at the top of the list. If I compare it to Remy, I would say Remy is more adventurous and obviously, has a way better view. However, I wouldn't say that it was better. They were both very excellent and actually pretty different. I would go back to either in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, there are so many good, upscale restaurants at WDW, that I don't know if we would go again on our next trip or try something else, like Morimoto. Gotta try for the Golden Spoon.

At the end of the meal, they gave me a long stem rose and gave us a little chocolates & pastries to take home. They were excellent. This was such a nice touch. It reminds me of Louis XVI in the Adolfus Hotel in Dallas. They give you a little box of treats, and if you are staying in the hotel, some breakfast pastries for the next morning. Le Cirque in Vegas also gives you some little to-go treats.

We ended the evening by walking along the water to the Polynesian to get DS from the kids club. DH went to get him, while I watched the Electric Water Parade. Just a wonderful night to remember. Thank you for reading this, and letting me bask in the memory.

Day 6 AM DHS (First Day at Parks) (Wednesday, 3/18):

We got there at RD with some people in front of us, but not too bad.

Rock N Roller Coaster - We headed straight to it from RD. DS was finally tall enough and brave enough to ride this time. I am a chicken little, so I waited while DH and DS rode. I got DS a pressed penny for it and then headed to the FP+ kiosk between it and Tower of Terror. DS loved the coaster.

There was really no line at the FP+ kiosk. I used my yellow bands, because I wanted to get an FP+ for the 2nd Fantasmic show. The CM was trying to dissuade me from getting something so late, but I said that I understood and it would be fine. She picked Indy and LMA as well. She actually did all of the kiosk work. Her fingers were amazingly fast, like an FP+ superhero. I had to rearrange some of the times on the web to get it to match our current plans. We only planned on being at DHS for the first part of the day, so we had to stick to the schedule. For more information about these bands, see this link,
http://www.disboards.com/threads/ma...-new-mde-see-post-227-before-posting.3245463/, particularly the first posts and posts #1241 (p61), #1305 (p66), & #1324 (p67).

Animation Academy - We hadn't done this in our previous visits, so I was intent upon doing it. We walked around the area, but I couldn't figure out where it was. Later, I found a map just after you enter the turnstile. I saw some people waiting around and went to investigate. I found DH and DS, but they had already started. Luckily, there were enough seats left, so we got in, but not all together. There were a lot of people who had done it before, so he let us vote on some. We ended up drawing Dopey. It was a lot harder than I thought it would. I am not good at drawing at all, but I was really pleased with how decent mine came out. DS9 really tried hard and did a pretty good job, considering that he doesn't really draw. It was a lot of fun. I would like to do it again.

Toy Story Mania - We had an FP+ for this at 9:55am. The FP+ line was a little long, like out the door, but it moved quickly. It was fun as always, and I beat the pants off DH and DS. DS sat next to me. My wrist was so tired afterwards.

Star Tours - We had an FP+ for this at 10:55am. It was a little busy, which surprised me, so I am glad that we had one. However, I think the posted SB wait time was like 30-40 minutes, and that seemed ridiculous. This is a perennial favorite of ours. When we went to DLR, on our last day, we got on at RD and just kept getting back in line. I think we rode it at least 5 or 6 times in row. I'm not sure if I have seen all segments yet. I know I haven't seen all combos. I went to put my stuff under my seat, and someone had left their backpack.

This was not the first time during our trip that I found someone's left stuff. At Universal, someone had left their Coke Freestyle refillable mug in the bathroom stall. She came around looking for it. I let her get it after I used the restroom. I didn't want to touch someone else's drink while using the bathroom. I don't know if I would have taken it in there, but I am a little OCD about the bathroom sometimes.

Muppet Vision 3D - We have only ridden this once before, and DS loves it. So, DH and I suffered through it again. I don't know if it will still be there after they redo the park or not. I love the Muppets, but the show is terrible.

Indiana Jones - We had an FP+ for the 11:15am show. We got there about 11am, and they were telling everyone in the SB line that it would be standing room only. They hadn't started letting the SB line in yet. We got seats, since we had FP+. The show was good. It's not great, so I don't feel I have to do it every visit. I had heard a rumor that it would be closed, but I don't think it's true.

Frozen Sing-a-Along - I added an FP+ for this at home just a few weeks before our trip. I didn't realize that it was still going on, and DS developed an obsession with Olaf recently. We hadn't eaten lunch yet and just ate a quick breakfast in the room before RD. DH tried to get food at a QS after Indy, but the wait was 20+ minutes. Plus, they said no food in the theater. We just did the 12:30pm show, hoping to find food afterward but before LMA at 1:20pm. We usually don't push lunch like this, but it became necessary with the show schedule at DHS. The show was cute, and DS sang along beautifully. We probably won't go next visit though.

Lunch - We found a hot dog stand just outside LMA. DH got hot dogs and drinks and would meet us inside.

Lights, Motor, Action - We had an FP+ for the 1:20pm show, so DS and I started to go to those seats. I soon realized that we would never find DH that way. We waited for him but didn't see him, and the show was starting. I tried texting and calling him, but all of the concrete was blocking the signal. We headed back toward the bathrooms, and I was finally able to text him. We managed to find him. So, we multitasked and watched the show while eating lunch. Note to self: don't organize the schedule this way at DHS again. As usual, unless you get there pretty early, the necessity for an FP+ for this is dubious. I don't think I have ever seen anyone turned away from the SB line either, because the theater is huge.

We tried to get DS to do Honey I Shrunk the Movie Set, since he had never done it before. But he wasn't interested. That was probably his last chance. It seems ripe for closure, and he will be too old next visit.

Magic of Disney Animation - We went back and looked around. DS wanted to play on some of the terminals. He wanted to draw, but the lines were long. He picked a story one, but the camera was aimed so poorly that it kept just getting the top of his head. When we got home, I discovered that we had missed Big Hero 6 pressed pennies:( We also didn't do the Big Hero 6 M&G. DH and I don't like waiting for these. DS is sometimes ambivalent, but he really likes Baymax.

Snack - We headed to Starring Rolls to get a treat. They had a chocolate peppermint cupcake for St. Patrick's day. It was good. DH got a red velvet cupcake, and DS got a chocolate croissant. There were no tables outside. There were a lot of people hanging onto to tables without any food or drinks, and single people taking up large tables by themselves. Oh well:sad2: We found a concrete wall in the shade to sit on and enjoyed our treats.

We finished at DHS by grabbing some pressed pennies we had missed. Then we grabbed the boat to Epcot around 2 or 3pm for the World Showcase.

Day 6 PM Epcot (Wednesday, 3/18):

We were mainly doing the World Showcase, no real rides, on this afternoon, so I didn't bother getting any FP+.

Agent P's World Showcase Adventure - DH and DS headed to the restrooms, and I headed to the UK to get our phone for Agent P. There was another family in front of me. They weren't speaking English, and they were not understanding the CM. After a bit, I realized that I was understanding what they were saying. Were they speaking Italian? No, it was Spanish. I was hoping that DS would get back from the bathroom, because he speaks Spanish. He attends a bilingual school. He was no where in site, so I tried to politely interrupt and help with my poor, unintelligible, broken Spanish. It seemed that they wanted to do an M&G with Perry but didn't realize that there wasn't such a thing. They also didn't understand what the game was.
Me: "Habla Espanol?"
Them: "Si" and starting to rattle really fast in Spanish.
Me: "Un poco" with a really itty-bitty hand gesture. "Perry no esta aqui y no esta in Walt Disney World."
They were understanding now that Perry wasn't around to meet and take pictures, but they wanted to know what the game was.
Me: "Esta es una juega." Long pause while I try to figure out in Spanish, with my very limited vocabulary, how to explain the Agent P adventure. "Tesoros"
Them: "Tesoros? Ahhh!"
Me: "Si, tesoros. Treasure hunt".
They were finally understanding and were very appreciative. The CM was very appreciate too. Just as we finished, DH and DS show up.

We got our game player set for UK and headed off with my good deed for the day done. Recognizing foreign languages is one of my super powers, especially if it's European or Asian. My other powers include the ability to tighten jars so tight that no one, including myself, can open them, my sense of smell, and my ability to sleep like a brick.

The UK one was really fun. We did Japan, Germany, and France last time. We also went to get our UK pressed penny, but the machine was broken. We had some other stuff to do, so we decided to play another country later. Unfortunately, the player messed up. After dinner, we exchanged it and chose Mexico. I really like the Mexico pavilion, and DH wanted a margarita from La Cava, so this worked well. I guess it was getting late, because it didn't let us do another country after Mexico. It just had us drop it in the box:( We really wanted to do France again and try to get the special pressed penny, since we collect them.

Innoventions - After UK, DS wanted to do Innoventions. We hadn't spent much time there in July. He did the fire prevention game and some other things that I can't remember.

Dinner - We headed over to Canada to eat Le Cellier. While waiting outside to be called, DS saw someone taking pictures of the flowers for F&G. He decided to start taking pictures too. Unfortunately, he takes really bad pictures. DH and I have tried to teach him how, but he doesn't quite get it. I have had a camera since before I was 5. My first camera was a Holly Hobby point and shoot that used film. Anyone else here old enough to remember Holly Hobby? Luckily, we were called in pretty soon. DH and I each ordered our own bowl of beer cheese soup. We like cheese a lot. The soup was good, but it was a little salty. However, I kind of expect that some with cheese. We then split the Le Cellier Poutine. The soup and poutine were our main reasons for choosing Le Cellier. The poutine was very tasty. However, it was a little heavy. Imagine that, cheese and potatoes heavy:) It was a little salty too. I wasn't very hungry, since we had eaten at V&A the night before. Also, none of the entrees were screaming "Eat me!". So I ordered the Seared Scallop appetizer as my main dish. The scallops were perfectly cooked and very tasty. However, the brown butter cauliflower puree was over-salted too, maybe because it had brown butter. DH and DS both ordered steak. DH's filet was good and not over-salted; however, the risotto was a little too salty. Everything tasted good and was cooked very well, it just needed a tad bit less salt. It didn't make me gag or anything. If I were to go again, I might request less salt, but I don't know if that would work for some dishes due to pre-prepared sauces, risotto, etc. We skipped, since we were all full.

World Showcase - After dinner we headed to Mexico to do the last Agent P game. DH got an avocado margarita from La Cava. He had meant to get the hibiscus one but got confused since I like the avocado one. I wasn't really in the mood to drink though. My liver was still trying to process the wine flight from V&A the previous night and maybe the salt from Le Cellier. DH had to force himself to drink it:) We had a goal to get pressed pennies from every country. We had Morocco from a previous trip and had gotten Canada at dinner and Mexico just now. So after getting DS a churro, we headed off to stop at each of the other countries, browse a little, and get pennies. We have been to every country in WS before, so we didn't spend a lot of time in each. We always spend time at Japan though, especially in the Mitsukoshi department store. DS and I love this place. There are always just too many things that we want, that we usually end up not getting much. This has been my favorite place in the World Showcase since I first went to WDW as a kid, just a couple of years after Epcot opened. We hurried and got the rest of our pennies, so that we could hurry back to DHS for the 2nd Fantasmic show.

Day 6 PM DHS Again (Wednesday, 3/18):

We left Epcot right as Illuminations was about to start. We didn't have to wait too long for a boat luckily. We went through the bag check at DHS. My purse has never been more thoroughly searched than it was that night at DHS. I don't even think TSA has searched it that well. She actually asked me what something was in a pocket. I told her it was a feminine napkin, and she got a little snotty. I don't know she was thinking. If you go through someone's personal stuff, you are going to find personal stuff. She said that it was her job to search bags thoroughly. She finally let us. Basically, there was no one in line to get in, and she was bored.

We hoofed it over to F!. I was worried we would be late for our FP+. It turned out to be unnecessary, because there was no line, and they were seating everyone together, except for the F! dinner package spot in the center. We had pretty good seats though.

DS really wanted a glow thing, so he and DH headed off to the bathroom (that kid pees more than Manneken Pis in Brussels) and to get a glow thing. They came back grumpy. DS wanted this long string glow-in-the-dark, possibly hit people in the face, thing or this bubble thing, which I had already said no to because how were we going to get it home and he could buy one at Target at home. So DS didn't get anything and pouted for a bit.

However, we all enjoyed the show and only got a little sprinkled from the effects. We had driven to DHS from POR, so our rental car was still in the DHS lot. We grabbed the car and headed back to our temporary home. Back at the hotel, I got almost everything ready for the next morning. We were headed to MK for AM EMH at 7am:eek: tomorrow morning. So, I told DH to set his phone alarm for 5am. I stayed up until about midnight, maybe later:guilty:, reading email, looking at our touring plan, and reading the boards:surfweb: I went to bed exhausted. This was our 4th day in a park, and we pretty much had been going from dawn until dusk. At least we thought we had been going since dawn. Tomorrow we really would be at the park at dawn.

Day 7 AM Magic Kingdom (Thursday, 3/19):

I wasn't sleeping very well. Probably because I was afraid of not waking up in time. Talk about a self-fulling prophecy. I rolled over to look at the alarm clock, thinking that I felt pretty good and must have slept a little. What!:furious: Crap! The clock said 6:30am. We were supposed to be awake and on our way or at the MK gates already. It was a 7am EMH day. I shot out of bed like a bolt of lighting. I got ready faster than I ever had before. I had to take a shower, since yesterday had been hot, humid, and sweaty. It went by in a blur, and I really wonder if I did all of my morning routine. No one complained later in the day about BO or bad breath, so I must have done enough. I was so mad at DH, who was supposed to wake me up when his phone alarm went off. He never woke up, and it apparently had gone off a few times. DS and I sleep like logs anyway (we snore like sawing logs too), but DH is usually a light sleeper. I decided it was just best for me to not say anything, because I sure as hell couldn't think of anything nice to say. We made it to the POR bus stop, and waited with the other grumpy families in the dark. We still got to MK by 7:30am, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Plus, by sleeping in, we were able to go the whole day pretty well. Which needed to happen, because we had an early dinner ADR at BOG and were doing the Wishes Dessert Party. As the thought of dole whips, Pooh, and the Tiki room flooded my mind, my anger at DH was pushed out.

Buzz - Since it was already half way into EMH, I re-optimized our Touring Plan on the app. Buzz was on our way to Fantasyland, and it listed it first. We just walked on.
Pooh - Posted wait was 20 minutes, and we waited about 15-20 minutes. Pooh is a perennial favorite, and we love the new honey walls.

Peter Pan - The posted wait was 40 minutes, but the line didn't look long. It was just around park opening, so there weren't many if any in the FP+ line. We wanted to see the new queue too. We don't do PP every trip, so we thought we would just stick it out. The new queue was really neat. It's light years better than the old queue. We ended up only waiting ~20 minutes, definitely not over 20min. This was just one of many times this trip, where the posted wait times were twice as long as the actual SB waits. I don't think they have the timing down right for FP+ yet, and they are overestimating the affects on the SB lines.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Last trip in July, I got stuck in the FP+ line for Pirates for 45 minutes. Then I got pretty wet in the right, front seat, from the knees down, the front of my purse, and my right arm. Luckily, it was up and running. I wanted to get it over before it broke down. I don't remember the posted wait exactly, maybe 10-15 min. It wasn't long at all, almost a walk on, definitely not 15 min. Of course, we got put in the front seat. DH, DS, and I squeezed together in the middle of the front seat to help reduce the wetness. It worked. Only our feet and legs got a little splashed, no soaking, just like what used to happen. The ride is fun, but I do like it at DLR better.

Jungle Cruise - This is always one of our favorites, even more than Pirates. The line wasn't long at all, and the posted time (maybe 10-15 min) seemed to be about right, maybe actually waited 8min. We lucked out too and were the last people put in our boat. I am usually the one that hits the cut off. It was punny as usual:lmao:

Haunted Mansion - We zigzagged a bit, because we were basing stuff on the wait times according to the MDX and Lines apps. The plan kind of got messed up before our first FP+, since we got to the park a little later than expected. It was a walk on with maybe a 5-10min posted wait. We had to hoof it into the room and quit playing with the instruments, because the CM was announcing that the doors were closing. We like HM a lot too. I was disappointed that we didn't get stopped along the way. We usually end up stopping in the ballroom or somewhere there is a lot to look at. I have heard that when it stops, it's usually to let someone on, especially if they are in a wheelchair. I always thought it was having problems, but I didn't mind. We decided to do the gift shop later, when the waits were longer.

Space Mountain - This was our first FP+ of the day, scheduled for 9:50am. I am a chicken, so I got DS a pressed dime and looked around at the gift shops, while DH and DS rode.

Monsters Inc - The wait was low, so we decided to hit it before lunch, since it was so close by. We didn't do it our last trip, so I am glad we got to do it. DS loved it as usual and did his cute, little kid, hysterical laugh all through it. He sort of sounds evil in a way:scratchin

Lunch - We decided to eat lunch near our next FP+, 7DMT. The choices were the mac n cheese palace (aka Friar's Nook) or Pinocchio Village Haus. We had never eaten at either. We chose Pinocchio's, because the thought of heavy mac n cheese and 7DMT didn't mix well. Pinocchio's had the flat breads. I got the caprese, and DH got the Italian. DS and I stayed back while DH went to get the food. I hate how the whole family has to go through the small line and stand at the counter for food. Then, when you try to get out with your food, there's no room to leave. I wish Disney would rework the QS lines. Three Broomsticks at Universal was set up well. You stood in line to order and pay. You then went to a number that matched the number of your register where you paid. You waited in a short line, maybe, for your food there. You weren't seated until you had your food. I was looking for tables, but people kept grabbing them while they sent someone to wait in line and order. I like how at Pecos Bill's and Columbia Harbor House, if it's busy, they won't let you sit unless you have a tray of food. I stalked a table and grabbed it just as DH met us with the food. The caprese flatbread wasn't too bad. It was more than I could eat though. DH's Italian flatbread was huge and not really flat. He folded it in half and attempted to eat it like a sandwich. He liked it. We didn't want to take too long to eat, because our FP+ for 7DMT started at 10:50am, and we had gone to eat at ~11am. Luckily, it was close by. We all went to the restrooms and headed to the mines.

Seven Dwarves Mine Train - This would be our 2nd time to ride this. We rode it for the first time on our July trip just after Wishes via SB, so we had seen the interactive stuff before. This time it was daylight with FP+. The SB line looked pretty long, but it wasn't too much outside of the normal queue area. The FP+ line was pretty short, relatively speaking. I was put next to a man, and DH and DS were behind us. Before our car arrived, someone from out of nowhere popped into my line, so now there were 3 of us for 2 seats. I think it was the man's daughter. I couldn't exactly see where she had come from, because there was a column blocking that line. I found it and just moved over to her previous spot, as I was saying to the CM what was going on. When I got to her old spot, I realized it was in front. Last time we rode 7DMT, it was a little scary for me. I am a bit of chicken, especially if there are any drops. But mainly, I had been getting dizzy and real anxiety on some of the rides, especially coasters like 7DMT and BMTRR. A wave of panic hit me as I realized that I would get to see the full track and have to wait in anxiety for every drop or sharp turn. I said to the CM that I didn't want to be in the front. It made me feel like a baby and pretty selfish, since I was a grown woman. I decided I would suck it up and ride in that seat anyway. The CM said she would let me ride again without being in front, but I turned it down. Luckily, the seat wasn't actually the very front seat, just the front car. Also, the ride didn't bother me at all. I got off and kept asking what happened to the drops and sharp turns. I didn't feel dizzy or anxious at all. It's weird, because I had never really had issues with rides and small coasters years before. However, a few years ago I started taking a medication that sometimes makes me feel dizzy. I started taking it before our first Disney trip, so I have been wondering if it has been the medicine. I am still taking it though. I was feeling good and really hoping that BMTRR would prove to not be as bad either, but I was still anxious about it.

Day 7 PM Magic Kingdom (Thursday, 3/18):

Out of order stuff - Things are starting to get out of order, I think, and I can't remember when exactly we did them. Some of these I think we did before lunch, like It's a Small World. Maybe we did 7DMT, lunch, and then BMTRR. Anyway.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - I was still apprehensive, even after my delightful experience on 7DMT. I forgot how small those stupid bag holders are, so I put my leg through my purse and water bottle straps and wrapped the straps around my wrist before the bar came down. DS decided to sit next to me. It was nice to have room and not be squashed by someone bigger than me. I kept waiting for the a big drop or a scary part. Nothing happened. It was just fun. Yes, victory:woohoo:

Enchanted Tiki Room - We decided we needed a treat, specifically a dole whip. So we went to do our most favorite attraction of all, the Enchanted Tiki Room, before partaking of our favorite treat. I remembered loving this from when I went to WDW as a kid. I tried to explain it to DH before our first visit, and he must have thought I was bonkers. After our first trip, DH and DS were hooked and had become Tiki Room fanatics too. This last summer, they had a bunch of awesome tiki stuff at Disney Store.com. So, I bought a bunch and hid it in the closet until Xmas, when DH opened a huge box full of glasses, mugs, bowls, and a dip set. I had also bought some 50th anniversary Disneyland Tiki Room shirts. DLR is really the best place to experience it though, because they still have the water fountain, and you can buy your dole whip in a shorter line, while waiting for the show, and then take it into the show:thumbsup2 But we were at WDW, so we did whatever Tiki Room we could. I still love that show, especially the totem poles, volcano, thunder, and the rain.

Snacks - DS doesn't like dole whip. This has been very heartbreaking for DH and I:confused: It makes me wonder if he is really my son, but I didn't have any pain drugs during his birth, so I remember it very vividly. He's ours. DH got him a Mickey ice cream sandwich, while I waited in line at the new Aloha Isle, which used to be the old Sunshine Tree Terrace. They swapped places. It's nice to have more room, since there was always a really long line at Aloha Isle and barely a line at Sunshine. However, it was a little disorganized and hectic. I think they are still getting used to their new digs. They probably had to bring more CMs in, since they have more space for them now and more register lines. We had already gotten souvenir bowls at Pineapple Lanai at Poly, so I wanted a souvenir cup/sipper this time. They were out though. However, I have discovered something even better than dole whips, and that's the dole whip float with all pineapple. I can't believe I haven't had one of these before. It was awesome and even more refreshing than just the dole whip. DH wanted a swirl, blasphemy! I found DH. DS had finished his ice cream and was doing the Swiss Family Treehouse. We finished our snacks really quick; it's hard not to when it's so good.

I decided to head over to the FP+ kiosk in the breezeway between Frontierland and Adventureland. There was hardly anyone in line. The parade was just passing by in Frontierland, so I ran over before the hordes started approaching. I had a couple of people in front of me, but not bad at all. The CM told the couple in front of me, who I don't think were native English speakers, that the end of the line was back there. They looked confused and didn't move or say anything. I told him that they had gotten in line in front of me and had not cut, which was true. He gave me a snarky look. It was my turn next, with the snarky look CM:worried: I had never used the kiosk myself before. At DHS the day before, the CM did all of the typing. On our previous visit, the CMs used tablets, no true kiosks yet. I started scanning the bands but forgot that I have to scan all three of these. The CM snapped at me and kept barking at me to hurry up. Every time I tried to select something on that darn screen, it wouldn't acknowledge it. I tried touching my finger and pushing my finger on the tiny little bars, about the same size as they are on the web and app. He kept harping on me to use my finger nails, which wasn't working either, and to hurry up. I finally got the three FP+ selected, apologized, and left. That was definitely not a magical experience. However, I did get FP+ for Buzz, Space Mountain, and Jungle Cruise. I wanted to try Jungle Cruise in the dark. Someone on DIS said it was really cool, and I can't believe I had never ridden it at night.

It's a Small World - We must have done this earlier, because it pretty much had no line. I remember looking later in the day, and the SB posted wait was ~30 min. We hadn't done it in a while, so we were due. It's cute and fun, but that darn song gets stuck in my head like a bad pop song. I think it's an every other visit kind of ride.

Philharmagic - The posted SB wait was like 10 minutes, but the line looked really long. It turns out that there is now an FP+ kiosk in front of it. It's hard to distinguish the SB line from the FP+ kiosk line. We walked inside and were going to be in the next show. We hadn't done this on our last visit either, since it was a short trip. I always remember that the air-conditioning and seats are nice in there. The 3D is OK, but it could stand to be updated I think. While waiting to enter the theater in the inner room, I over heard the family next to me complaining about FP+. He had just waited in line but could only get Buzz. We started talking, and he lamented how much he preferred the legacy FP system. He said that by that time, sometime after 1pm but before 4pm, he could still get FP for the mountains or pretty much anything he wanted. I said it was because not as many people used that system or even knew about it. He was surprised. However, logically, if legacy FP were available before and FP+ are not now, that seems to mean that more people are using FP+ than used legacy FP. I told him that he might be able to change Buzz to something better using the MDX app, but he didn't seem to know about it. I was looking at the Lines app to see what FP+ might be available and showed him what I was using. He didn't know there was something that would show that either, but I did warn him that it lists availability even if only a single FP+ is free at that time. He had a group of 5, which is harder to deal with. The doors opened, and we headed as far to the right as we could, just like the CMs were telling everyone. Many people just stopped dead in their tracks, blocking others or sat down right in the middle of the row. The CM thanked us for following instructions without having to be told. If you don't want the end, then try to be in the middle of the room, not right by the doors.
Country Bear Jamboree - DH and DS had never done it, and you should try everything at least once, except for Stitch:stitch:DS really enjoyed it. It was better than I remembered but probably still an every other visit attraction.

Tom Sawyer Island - Forever to be known now as TSII, the Tom Sawyer Island Incident. DS had been asking to do TSI all day. I wanted to wait until the lines got longer at other attractions before doing it. By the time we got around to doing it, we only had 20 minutes on the actual island before we had to leave for our 4:20pm ADR at BOG. I decided to wait by the boat dock and mess around with our FP+ and schedule for the rest of the day. DH and DS went off exploring. About 5 minutes before we needed to leave, DH comes by and asks if I have seen DS. Apparently, DS had run off from DH, and DH had been all over the island looking for him. I started looking nearby and yelling out his name. After a bit, I yelled that we needed to leave and would leave without him if we had to. It was getting late, and he hadn't shown up. I didn't want to get too far from the boat dock, because cell and texting weren't working there. A woman asked me if I was looking for a boy in a light blue shirt. I almost grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her saying Yes, Yes! She said he was over there with his father. I ran over to the boat dock, and there they were. Luckily, there was a boat waiting, maybe for us. Wow! Imagine being as mad as you have been in a long time, twice in one day, at the happiest place on Earth:crazy2: We really had to hoof it to BOG, and DS was read the riot act by myself and DH the entire way.

Day 7 PM Party 2 Magic Kingdom (Thursday, 3/19):

Just noticed the date typo in my previous post.

Dinner - We arrived at Be Our Guest very hot, sweaty, and angry after having to find DS on TSI and run like the wind to get to our 4:20pm ADR on time. We didn't wait long after arriving, maybe 5-10min, before being paged. We were seated in the coveted West Wing. It was full or blocked off when we had lunch on our previous trip, so we had sat in the main ballroom. The West Wing is really cool. DH and I decided we needed a glass of champagne after the TSII. DH and I split the French Onion Soup. It was a little salty, which French Onion soup can be, but it was very good. It definitely had the melted cheese and bread. I think it was supposed to be a crouton, but if it sits at all, it ends up bread, which was fine. I had the Sautéed Shrimp & Scallops. I was worried that it would be heavy, but it wasn't. It was good. The seasoning and sauce were tasty but didn't overpower the seafood and was not too salty. The seafood was also not overcooked to death. Instead of being a very creamy sauce, it was more of a really light butter sauce with broth and maybe white wine. The puff pastry absorbed some of the sauce; otherwise, it would not have been very flavorful. DH was going to get a the Braised Pork, which he had for lunch on our last trip; however, the server talked him into the Thyme-scented Port Rack Chop. It was bigger than he really wanted. He liked it, but it wasn't much different from a regular pork chop. It wasn't very flavorful. However, the Au Gratin Macaroni made up for the pork chop. He preferred the Braised Pork though overall. DS had a steak and ate all of it, except for the vegetables. We skipped dessert, because we were doing the Wishes Dessert Party later. The meal, champagne, and air-conditioning helped ease the anger from the previous TSII.

During dinner, I had rejiggered the FP+ that I had gotten. Since DS had run off, we decided to cancel the Space Mountain and Buzz FP+. We had already ridden earlier in the day anyway. I switched the SM FP+ for the teacups, since they looked like they had a bit of a line all day. I was keeping the Jungle Cruise one, because I was going to be damned to miss my opportunity to ride it in the dark for the first time.

Teacups - We hopped on the next turn and had a good time as usual. I love the teacups and always have to do them at least once. DH and DS don't like them as much as I do, so we usually only end up riding them once. It's not as much fun to ride by yourself, because I can't get the cup spinning really fast by myself.

Peoplemover - We still hadn't done the Peoplemover or Carousel of Progress, two of our other favorite rides. So we headed over there. There was a bit of a line, but it was constantly moving, less than 10min. The Peoplemover is so nice and relaxing and brings back good memories.
Carousel of Progress - We all love this one, and DS knows the entire song by heart. This is another nice attraction to do in the heat, and darn it, it's just silly and fun. It was more crowded than I am used to seeing it. I wonder if the t-shirts they released in the last year have given it some publicity and awareness.

Liberty Square Riverboat - This is also one of our favorites. I usually remember when we get on that I haven't taken any pictures. So most of our MK pictures end up being on the boat or of attractions taken from the boat. It was getting cloudy and a little dark as a storm was slowly approaching.

Memento Mori - I had to go look at the new Haunted Mansion gift shop. I have seen the stuff online, and I was even wearing my purple, glow-in-the-dark Madame Leota shirt that I bought from Disney Store.com. I overheard the CMs talking to each other about it, wondering where I had bought it:cool1:There was some neat stuff that I hadn't seen online, but nothing really popped out as a I gotta have. They had these cool photographs that looked kind of like lenticulars. You could get a portrait of yourself taken there, and they would do some treatment to it. When you looked at the picture at certain angles or walked past it, it made the person look dead or maybe a little like a ghost. It's hard to explain. They were pretty cool, and they said it only took about 10min. Unfortunately, I looked pretty hideous at that point and didn't really need any special effects to make me look like the walking dead, so I passed on this trip.

We walked around Liberty Square looking for the Hall of Presidents and Riverboat penny presses without any luck. We did find the Haunted Mansion one though. We still had some more pressed pennies to get, so we headed back toward Adventureland and then cut over to Frontierland. We looked and never found the BMTRR pressed penny. It was supposed to be in the Splash Mountain photo area or gift shop. Oh well, I guess next time on that one too.

WDW Railroad - We hadn't ridden it yet and had missed it on our last trip. We don't necessarily use it for transportation; we like to take a round trip on it. As we were waiting for the next train, the skies opened up and started pouring. Luckily, we were undercover, and we had gotten in line before the rain. Because now the great hordes started heading for whatever cover they could find, which turned out to be the railroad queue at Frontierland. We luckily managed to find a spot. Well, we thought it was lucky, but something really stunk near us. After some stops, it went away, so maybe it was someone. The train was great as usual, and the magic hour/dusk lighting gave everything a special glow. As we went by the new Storybook Circus part of Fantasyland, we realized we had never gotten back there. It was under construction on our first trip, and our last trip was too short to have time. Plus, there really aren't any rides for us; it's mainly for little kids. Next time we vowed to go, partly because I had read there are good cupcakes back there. The sun was setting as we passed through the Main Street Station. We could see the sun setting behind the Contemporary. It was very pretty and magical. We got off at Frontierland, where we started.

Jungle Cruise - It was dark now, and time for us to ride Jungle Cruise in the dark. The SB line wasn't bad, but I was glad we had an FP+ anyway. It has an entirely different feel at night. I liked it. I think I will always try to ride it in the dark from now on.

Shopping - We did a little shopping at Pirates and then headed back to Main Street and the Emporium. DH was trying to find a vintage Piglet for one of the women on his Meals on Wheels route. She has a vintage Pooh but no Piglet. We didn't find it at the Emporium, but we found a cute Mickey Skywalker and Goofy Vader t-shirt for DS. Main Street was starting to get packed, because MSEP would be starting soon. We headed toward Tomorrowland for the dessert party. First, we had to find DS some light up toy. He had wanted some the previous night at Epcot and DHS, but we said he couldn't have the specific things that he wanted. One looked like we were going to keep getting hit by it. The other made bubbles, which we had no good way of getting home, and it wasn't any different than the ones at Target at home. We finally found a vendor. DS hemmed and hawed but finally settled on the Mickey glove light up stick/wand/light saber. We made a pit stop on our way to the Dessert Party line. We had some time, so I muscled my way back through the crowd to get a pressed penny from the Main Street Railroad Station. I coudn't find the machine and asked a CM. He showed me where they were and then gave me a smushed penny. He said that he likes to smush pennies on the railroad tracks. He sometimes gives them to visitors. He said it's not a regular thing and that they are not for sale. I thanked him generously and said that DS would love it. I got my pressed pennies and headed back to Tomorrowland. Luck would have it that the back way, behind the Main Street shops was open. I wish I had taken that to get up here, instead of swimming up stream like a salmon.

Wishes Dessert Party - This was our first time to do this. We did the Illuminations Dessert Party on our last visit. The line was long and took forever. DH and DS were still in it when I got back from going to the Main St. Station. We finally got seated and actually had a good table with asome view of the castle. There were no tables in front of us, but we were not right up against the railing. There were more desserts than the Illuminations party but no Mickey ice cream bars, just vanilla ice cream with toppings. In addition to desserts, they had fruit and drinks. I was very excited to see the POG and eventually probably drank 4 or 5 small glasses. I even mixed it with the iced tea once. I enjoyed the desserts, but many of them were very sweet. They looked very pretty though. It had started pouring rain outside right after MSEP. I think they moved the Wishes FP+ area into the Tomorrowland Terrace. It was packed with upset looking people, who were glaring at our food and tables. DS wanted to see the Castle show, so we told him to politely go up to the railing. People had already started hogging spots at the railing and some had even put chairs there when the CMs were specifically and constantly telling people not to do so. DS went up to a small empty spot, when a grown man that was taking up 2-3 spots at the railing glares at him and nudges him a bit. It wasn't rough and was barely a nudge; DS didn't really notice. Otherwise, I would have thrown that excuse for a human being over the railing and into the water. The guy had his arms bent at the elbow and spread out across the railing, I guess to block spots. He did get his bony elbow pretty close to DS's head a few times. At one point, he started yelling to his spouse all the way across the seating area. Apparently, no one had stayed at their table, and the CMs had cleared it. They were throwing a hissy fit and yelling at each other and waving arms. I don't get it. The desserts were still out; go get more and don't leave your table. We eventually had to get up once the fireworks started in order to see. It was still raining, so you couldn't stand just anywhere without getting wet. DS was standing out from the roof with a poncho on watching the fireworks. That's my boy:thumbsup2 All through the fireworks, people were getting pushy and constantly complaining. I never could see them that well, but I am short and didn't want to get wet. Ultimately, it was nice to do it once. However, it wasn't worth it for us. We don't spend much time staking out a spot and have always found decent spots less 30 minutes before it starts, sometimes right before it starts. We also decided that we liked the Illuminations Party better. The desserts catered more to adults. The champagne was nice, and the view was great. There are chairs at Illuminations, just tall tables and maybe a railing to lean against. However, we ended up not sitting very long anyway. DS did like the desserts at Wishes better though. Also, the guests and CMs were all so friendly, happy, and helpful at Illuminations; whereas, the guests were grumpy and rude at Wishes. The CMs at Wishes looked harried, tired, and over-worked.

We were exhausted after the fireworks and just wanted to get back to POR. We got to the bus stop, and there was a huge line. We waited for two buses to come to see how far apart they were, ~10 min, and to see about how many people were fitting on each. We roughly estimated that it was going to take us close to an hour, 4 or 5 more buses, before we would get back. We decided to walk to the Contemporary and get a cab. The walk was pretty short. We had to wait for a cab, because there was a line of people who were also waiting for cabs. However, we still got back to POR in less than 30 minutes from when we left the MK bus stop. Plus, DS got to use the bathroom and sleep on a bench in the port cochere at the Contemporary. It was a good decision. We all crashed hard that night.

Day 8 AM Last Day at the Parks/Epcot (Friday, 3/20):

We had not done Future World yet, so we saved it for our last day at the parks. We hit RD as usual. We were second in line at our turnstile; we thought. As park opening got closer, a friend of the woman in front of us showed up. Then her DH and kids showed up. Then the friends DW and kids showed upo_O That's right. The single woman in front of us turned into 8 people. Also, some of them had not been to the parks yet, so they needed to have their prints scanned for the MBs. Finally, they made it through.

Test Track - We got through and briskly walked to Test Track. I am not a huge fan of TT. It's okay. I like Radiator Springs Racers at DCA better. TT seems too slow and too short. I guess because DH and I have done auto track events, TT is a little boring. DS thought it was a little boring too. I will wouldn't miss it, unless I was giving up Soarin', Word Showcase, Sum of All Thrills, or Mission Space Orange to do it. I never did the previous version.

Mission Space Orange - I looked at wait times, hoping that we could do Soarin' SB and then with our 10am FP+. However, the wait was already up to 40 min. We had previously done this in July, but it was an AM EMH day. There was no EMH that morning. I had a throw-away FP+ for MS at 9am. Usually, the line isn't very long. There really wasn't any line for SB yet either. This is always a blast. I missed it on our first trip, because I had a hangover. I could barely keep down ginger ale, so I thought MS would be too much. Last trip and this one, I felt great, so we rode.

Sunshine Seasons - We got there earlier than the the FP+ window, so we decided to have snack at Sunshine Seasons. DH and I split a guava turnover. It was a delicious slice of Hawaii. DS got a cinnamon roll; it was tasty too. We had problems with our MBs when we went to pay. This was our 4th day of using them this trip, and we had used MBs on a previous trip. So, we knew the drill. I put my MB with Mickey kissing the scanner Mickey:love1: It wouldn't take. The cashier got angry and said that I was doing it wrong. She took my wrist and moved it around to the exact location I had it. It took. I entered my pin, and she said it was wrong. I tried again and wrong again. DH tried his MB and the pin, but it wouldn't take it. We had been using the pin just that morning to buy water at a food cart. Anyway, I gave up on the MB and tried my Disney Visa rewards card. It wouldn't take it either. I had also been using it to buy stuff all trip. I finally tried a credit card, which didn't work at first either. It worked the second time though. There was obviously something wrong with that register, but the CM kept huffing, grumping, and glaring at us every time something didn't work. I didn't like her attitude or the way she treated us>:( Luckily, the slice of Hawaii made me forget.

Soarin' - We headed to our 10am FP+. The FP+ line wasn't long at all. To be honest, the SB line wasn't that long either. It said 90min by this time. Based upon my previous SB riding experiences, including one when FP+ was available, the line was in no way 90min, 30-40 at most. I bet if we had gone over earlier, right after TT, it wouldn't have been 40 minutes for SB. We had an enjoyable ride, none the less.

Sum of All Thrills - We headed to Innoventions to ride and get some pressed pennies. We had never ridden it before and were looking forward to it. The posted wait was 20 min, but it was really only 10. I rode alone, and DS and DH rode together. I did the bobsled. It kept making me slow it down; I think I will try something else next time. The eventual ride was OK but not really very fast. DS was too short for inversions, so they didn't do that. They just did a regular jet. DH complained that there's seemed slow too. I would like to do it again, but I am going to read up on the web first to find the optimal configuration. We found our Perry penny and headed out.

Journey into Imagination with Figment - I had done the original Figment attraction and remember it being neat. I had heard bad things about the new one, so we had avoided it the previous trips. I decided that we should at least do it once, and this would be the time. The posted SB wait was 15 minutes. I wasn't looking forward to waiting that long for something I had heard such bad stuff about. Luckily, we only wait 7 min. There goes that SB wait overestimation again. The ride was really lame. I can't decide if this or Stitch is worse. Stitch has weird oder, and the shoulder harnesses press too hard. So it's way by a little bit. However, the stuff at the end looked pretty cool. We didn't have time to do it though, because we needed to get lunch and head to AK for the afternoon.

Lunch - We found a place near Figment with chicken nuggets for DS. DH and I wanted to try some stuff from the F&G food booths. While DH and DS got the nuggets, I got in line for the dole whip with macademia nut rum. It was fantastic. I wished I had gotten one for each of us, instead of splitting one. I liked it better than the dole whip with dark rum at Tamu Tamu in AK. DH headed for Mexico and got the tacos al pastor. He liked it, but I thought the meat was a little chewy/tough. I got the shrimp and grits from the Florida booth. They were very tasty, but not as spicy as I am used to. I had to hoof it all the way to Germany to get it. I thought it was closer to the entrance to WS. I was supposed to get two dishes, but I didn't want anything else from Florida. The other booth, South American maybe, was much further. So, I stopped at Norway and got school bread. We have been wanting to try it anyway. It was delicious. DH usually doesn't like coconut, but the coconut on top didn't taste overly sugared and stale like most shredded coconut. All in all it was a nice lunch and not too heavy. It makes me want to go back for F&W. It was early afternoon, so we headed out for AK.

Day 8 PM Last Day at the Parks/Animal Kingdom (Friday, 3/20):

This was our first and only day at Animal Kingdom. We don't do the most of the shows, the water ride, or conservation station, so we really only need a half day. We drove from Epcot and took the tram to the entrance. It was hard to tell how far the walk was or even where the entrance was with all of the construction.

DH and DS headed for the 1:45pm Flights of Wonder show, while I stopped at the FP+ kiosk at Discovery Outfitters. There was no one waiting, and the CMs were using tablets instead of kiosks. We wanted Expedition Everest, Safari, and Dinosaur. All of the Safaris were gone, at least for our group of 3. I got EE, Dinosaur, and Primevil Whirl instead. The EE time was not optimal, 10min before our ADR at Tusker House, but I figured we could move it or manage. I wouldn't ride EE anyway, so I could go to TH ahead of them.

Flights of Wonder - We love the show and always see it. While we were waiting and watching, I started moving FP+ around using my phone. I was able to move up the Expedition Everest time. This allowed me to actually see an available Safari. I tried to grab it, but the connnection hung, and I lost it. I had been having problems with wifi in some of the parks, particularly MK, and more so in the afternoons. I had to switch to data. It was still wonky, but I think Disney's network was just busy. I decided to try again later for Safari. Worst case we could ride it SB an hour or so before dinner, when the line usually starts getting shorter anyway.

Expedition Everest - I was able to move it from the original time of 5:50pm to 2:30pm. So we headed straight there after Flights of Wonder. I don't ride it, so DH and DS did. I got DS a Yeti pressed penny and looked around the gift shop. They have a bunch of really cute Yeti stuff now. I messed around with FP+ and managed to switch Primevil Whirl with a 4:30pm Safari. Yes:woohoo:

Snack - It was snack time. We love the frozen chai latte from Royal Anandpur Tea and that was on the way to the other snacks we wanted in Africa. Nothing beats frozen, creamy caffeine on a warm day. I think it's one of the best frozen treats in all of the parks, behind dole whip of course. The three of us drank it rather quickly as we headed to Africa. I had read about these awesome cupcakes and brownies at Kusafiri Bakery. DS was taking forever to decide. I think he just wanted simple, but they didn't really have anything simple that he would eat. Plus, he doesn't like cake or cupcakes:eek: Is he really my child? A CM asked what was wrong. We told him DS couldn't decide what to get. He suggested the dole whip from Tamu Tamu at which DS stuck out hit tongue:crazy2: He hates dole whip too:sad2: He finally picked the brownie paw. It was huge and awesome. The three of us should have split it, but DH and I wanted the Cotton Top Tamarin cupcake. It's so fuzzy and cute! Well, it wasn't fuzzy. At least I hoped it wouldn't be, since it was something I planned on eating. The cupcake was huge, rich, and delicious. The Tamarin chocolate on top was good too.

Dinosaur - It was time for our FP+, so we headed to Dinoland. DH and I don't really like Dinosaur. It's so jerky, that you can barely see what's going on. Indiana Jones at DLR is a way better ride. We skipped Dinosaur last time, so I told DS we would do it. The SB line actually looked pretty long. I don't think I have ever seen it that long. I can't remember exactly what the posted wait was, 15-20 min, but it looked to be greater than 30. Once we were pretty close to the cars, DH whispered to me that a guy in line had a turkey leg. Who eats a turkey leg in line, much else right before a jerky ride? At least it wasn't RNR, EE, or TOT. Luckily, I was able to see more of the ride this time, maybe because I knew what was coming. It's still pretty jerky though.

Primevil Whirl - I decided since 7DMT and BMTRR didn't bother me that I would tackle Primevil Whirl. The SB wait was only 10 min. It was actually pretty fun. I like how the cars rotate.
Triceratop Spin - DS really wanted one of us to ride it with him, so DH volunteered. It was getting hot and sunny, and I was wearing long sleeves and linen pants. I wanted to stay in the shade.

Snack (again) - We headed back to Africa toward Safari. DH and I wanted to try the dole whip with dark rum from Tamu Tamu. We had never had it before, just plain dole whip. It was good. I could have had a few of those for myself, but we decided to split one. I did like the one at Epcot and F&G with the macadamia run better though. I will be back.

Safari - It was time for our FP+, so we got in line. The posted SB was still 30 min, and it looked to be about that long. I remember waiting in a line that long in late July, because we couldn't get an FP+ when we came to AK in the afternoon. Luckily, it wasn't July hot yet. Safari was good as usual, and we saw a lot of animals, particularly giraffes. DS kept trying to take picture, which is pretty hard on a moving vehicle.

We had time to kill before our 6pm ADR at Tusker House, so we shopped a little near Safari. DS bought a little hippo knick knack, and I bought a little bat stuffed animal. I kind of collect bat things, not Batman things though. We saw some people playing drums, so DS played around with those for a while. I was looking over the water and could see a lot of construction. I think it was for the Rivers of Light Show.

Dinner - We checked in at Tusker House at 5:50pm for our 6pm ADR. We got seated no later than 6:05pm. I was glad it wasn't as bad as I had been reading on the boards. However, it seemed to be causing issues the previous weeks with people lingering and taking tables. They had just recently added characters to the dinner, which was great for us. There's usually no where to eat dinner at AK, and a lot of the QS places close an hour or two before park closing. Our server said that it wasn't very busy, so we would see the characters multiple times. She let us know that they were heading back for a break, so now was a good time to get food. I love when servers do that at character buffets; that way you're not afraid to get your food. DH was going to order the African Margarita, but our server said it was really sweet. She recommended an agave one instead. DH liked it a lot. I got the Lost on Safari, which was also tasty. The bar tender definitely didn't skimp on the alcohol on mine. The food was good and surprisingly very flavorful. The dishes and quality reminded me of a good, but not excellent, Indian or Nigerian buffet. We would definitely consider returning. It's probably one of the most adventurous non-signature restaurants in WDW. I started off on accident at the starches and filled a bit too much there. The salmon, cooked greens, and salmon dip were some of the better dishes I tried. I ate too much, which I always seem to do at buffets. DH really enjoyed the food too. The kids offerings were the usual fair, so DS was happy. Many of the desserts were small, which made for a nice sampling. The passion fruit tart, cobbler, and bread pudding were very good. The characters each came by at least twice and maybe three times. We saw Donald, who was the reason for eating there, Daisy, Mickey, and Goofy, al in safari gear. The characters were very interactive and spent a good amount of time with DS. The parade with the kids and instruments was really cute too. We finally convinced DS to do it.

It was getting late, and DS wanted to swim a little before bed. So we headed out. We stopped at some shops for souvenirs and pressed pennies on the way out. The tram lines were looking long, but luckily, people were making room, and we found a spot. We hadn't really noticed people being polite and making room on the trams before. On the way in, I even saw a couple, 2 people, take up a whole bench and not even offer to move over or budge when someone asked to sit with them. I would have just sat in their laps.

At POR, DH and DS hurried up and changed to go swimming at the pool near our building. We never had time for DS to swim at the big pool. In fact, we had spent hardly any time at the hotel. I plan to stay there again, because they had so many things to offer. Next trip we will make time to relax and chill.

I headed to the gift shop to look for the elusive classic Piglet, shop, and get pressed pennies. They had a really good selection of knick knacks, some of which I hadn't seen at other places. I even found the class Piglet. It was small, not even 6" high and was ~$16. I thought it was really expensive, but it was for the lady on DH's Meals on Wheels route. I also found some neat pencils, erasures, and pens. I also found a set of Pixar characters for the monorail model we got at Xmas. It came with the classic characters, but these were really cool. I know I bought a bunch of other stuff, partly still under the influence of the dole whip with rum from Tamu Tamu and the Lost on Safari from Tusker House. Plus, I think I was putting off packing. I finally headed back to pack, since we were checking out and returning home tomorrow.

Day 9 Last Day/Returning Home (Saturday, 3/21):

Today was the last day of our trip:sad:We were getting ready to check out, when poof. The hotel hairdryer sort of caught on fire a little while I was using it:scared: It then stopped working. I think some of my hair got sucked in and caught on fire. DH hurried to the front desk to get me another hair dryer. Luckily, after shutting it off, blowing on it, and resetting the circuit, it started working again. I tried to call, text, and email DH, but he had already made it there and back. We finished getting ready and checked out. We really hadn't spent enough time at POR. I regret that and plan on correcting it the next trip.

Breakfast - We headed to Grand Floridian for out character breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, which has become a tradition for us. We stopped at the Alice penny press first, but it was out of order:guilty: We love Mary, Pooh, and Tigger, so this meal is perfect. The food is pretty good too. Mary always thinks she's going to get off easy because our child is a boy. Well, she is his favorite Disney character. He always blushes when he talks with here:lovestruc He is also very talkative, so she ends up having to spend more time than she usually does with other boys. However, we don't do autographs and usually only take a picture with DS and the character. The Mad Hatter was great this time. DH had gotten up to get more food, when he came by. He sat in DH's seat and loudly demanded more tea and Mickey waffles while holding a fork and banging on the table. I actually got a shot of it too. I should get that posted. Usually, I could take or leave the Mad Hatter from the movies, but he's always so awesome, fun, and crazy in person:crazy: Pooh and Tigger came by as well, and we discussed honey and honey bees with them. After stuffing ourselves, even more so really, because we had a CM buffet the night before at Tusker House, we headed for the monorail.

We had a little bit of time to kill, so we decided to go to the Contemporary on the monorail. DH and DS had never been, and I hadn't been since I was a kid. We found a lot of good penny presses in the lobby and looked around at the gift shops. It's a shame that the view from the lobby is so blocked, because the lake and island (Discovery Island?) behind the Contemporary are really pretty. I don't remember it being so blocked off when I was a kid.

We needed to head back and get to the airport. DH had noticed that traffic looked bad, so he devised a back way:sad2: It was taking forever. The back way ended up forcing us to actually go backwards. We ended up in a lot of the traffic on the highway anyway. This was the first time that we had rented a car for using around Orlando. We were quickly approaching the 1.5 hour mark that I like to have when checking in at the airport, and we still had to drop off the rental car. I really like to have 2+ hours at MCO, because security seems so unpredictable there. Plus, there's a lot of good gift shops. There were no signs saying which way to go, and we ended up going the wrong way a little. Finally, we get to the security line. Luckily, it was much shorter than our previous trips.

Does anyone else get annoyed that each airport does the boarding pass/ID check differently? Sometimes, they want the whole family/group to come up together. Sometimes, they want it separate with one adult per child. This time, the guy wanted our 9 year old son to go through on his own holding his boarding pass and with no ID:confused3 He can barely manage to put on all of his clothing in the morning. I don't think I am letting him have his boarding pass and answer any security questions that TSA decides to ask. I handed the agent DS's boarding pass, and the agent proceeded to hand it to DS and told him to wait behind the line until he had looked at my boarding pass and ID. I know he is not very far away. However, after my turn, the agent and another agent insisted that I move ahead. Uh no, I don't think so. I will move ahead when my son is done, thank you. I am not trying to be difficult, but he's a minor and my responsibility. Plus, it took a lot of effort to bring him into this world; I'm not just going to leave him by himself at the airporto_O

Everything else went fine, and we made it to the gate. Of course the flight was an hour late again. Luckily, they made up 30 minutes in the air, because we had a birthday party to drive straight to from the airport:cake: We hadn't eaten our custom made treats from Goofy's yet. I know:rolleyes: It's Saturday, and we hadn't had time to eat it since we bought it on Tuesday. Well, we had plenty of time in the plane, so we ate our treats and made a huge mess. Plane landed. It was cold and rainy in Austin. We found the car and headed back to reality:(

Conclusion:

Well, it's come to an end. I think I have been putting this off, because it definitely means the vacation is over. I have the Disney blues a bit. I have even started reading the Star Wars Weekends thread and trying to plan a trip for next year. It's definitely a sickness:cold: Anyway, here's my final thoughts on our WDW trip.

Hotel - We loved Port Orleans Riverside. For the money, I liked it better than the Polynesian. I am so disappointed that we really didn't get to take as much advantage of it as we would have liked. DS never got to swim at the main pool, and we never ate at the restaurant or food court. I will absolutely plan more time into our next trip to enjoy the hotel, including the movies at night. The room was smaller than Poly and didn't have as much storage. However, I think if we hadn't gotten one of the rooms in Alligator Bayou with the pull out bed, then we would have had more storage. The room size wasn't so bad, since it's only the 3 of us. I did miss having a balcony and being able to see the electrical water parade. The Poly does have nice ambience, but I am not sure that it is really worth 2-2.5 times the price, especially since we go to the parks everyday. The faucet handles on the sink were annoying, because they were underneath a shelf. However, that's just me being OCD:crazy: Having 2 sinks was really nice though. At first, I wasn't sure about the sinks being in with the room, but the curtain worked fine. DS is a sound sleeper. We also were never given any lids for the coffee cups. However, I found that I didn't really need it; I usually finished my tea before we left the room or got onto the bus. It actually was a little more environmentally friendly that way. I should probably bring my own non-disposable mug or thermos, but I hate to take the extra room in our daypack or luggage for it. I liked the garden view too. The view was pretty, lush, and quiet, just like the standard views at Poly. I am glad that we didn't get a pool view, because people swam at our local pool until pretty late. I river view would be fantastic though. We got the room we asked for, and the online, straight to the room checkin went very well. This is also the first time that we rented a car. We really liked it and used for everything, except MK and DTD. Getting back to POR after Wishes at MK while it was raining was a pain, especially when we are used to hopping on a monorail or ferry to Poly. I am almost positive we will be returning to POR for our next WDW trip.

Parks - What can I say? We love all of the parks. MK and Epcot are our favorites though. DHS is cool, but they definitely need to add more Star Wars and replace the rides/shows that have been shut down. Expanding TSMM will help a lot. We like AK, but the rides are not our favorites. Plus, we aren't too big into most of the shows. I don't know if Pandora/Avatar will change that for us or not. Having a night-time presence there would be great and also help attendance at the other parks. The crowds were not terrible. They sometimes were a little more than we had seen during our summer trips, but nothing to make me not want to go back during Spring Break. The weather was great. The Flower & Garden show at Epcot was cool. It wasn't something that we got into that much, except for looking at the topiaries and eating at some of the booths. I think DH and I would love Food & Wine though.

Food - We didn't have a bad meal the entire trip. In fact, we ate way too much:crazy2: The TS and QS places were all very good. I think we did too many TS places some days though. For instance, we ate lunch at T-Rex and then dinner at Victoria & Albert. I did eat less at T-Rex, so as not to fill up. It would have been better to only have had the one TS that day, but it didn't work out that way. Plus, DS didn't eat at V&A with us, so it was his only big meal of the day. I will post my reviews of the places we ate in the dining section too. I will never try to do a bunch of shows and then try to eat quickly at DHS. I just don't think it works well. The QS places get horrible lines. So, we will either have an ADR, eat at a QS very early, or allow more time than at other parks to eat at a QS, unless we are willing to eat what we can get at a cart, ie hot dogs, corn dogs, snack/junk food. Le Cellier at Epcot was good but a bit too salty. We will try something different there next time, partly to try something new. We have done both lunch and dinner at BOG. I don't know if I would bother doing breakfast, because I hate wasting morning time in the parks eating. They were both good, but I kind of feel like we have been there and done that now. I might just do QS at MK next time for both meals. I feel like we don't really need a TS everyday, and the ones that we haven't done in MK are probably the least appealing. Whereas, the QS stuff in MK is pretty decent, much more convenient than DHS, and a better fit for DS than AK. We won't be doing the Wishes Dessert Party again probably. I am glad we did it once, but the view and food weren't that great. I think I would have rather eaten a Mickey rice krispy treat or a Mickey bar and found our own spot. We liked the Illuminations party better that we had done on a previous trip. Dinner at Tusker House was really good. The uniqueness and variety really stood out. We would like to go back again.

Universal vs Walt Disney World:

Hotels - We really liked both of the Royal Pacific at Universal and Port Orleans Riverside. They are technically in different categories, with Royal Pacific a Deluxe and POR a moderate. The only thing we didn't like about Royal Pacific is that it only had 1 sink; whereas, POR had two. Otherwise, Royal Pacific was a better value for the money. It was about the same or cheaper than POR. However, due to location and convenience, I don't think I would stay at Universal while going to Disney, unless it was maybe just for a night. I also don't think we could to do Orlando without going to Disney, because we love it so much. I wouldn't hesitate again though to do a split stay between the two. It was more convenient than having to drive back and forth everyday, and both places were so much nice. Having a car was nice too. If you did Disney last, you could return the car and take DME to the airport, to save some money.

Parks - We liked both parks, even though they are really different. Unless we have a really short trip or an adult only trip, for like F&W, I see us going back to Universal for a couple of days every time. We all really enjoyed it. I am glad that we waited until DS9 was older, because there are a lot of thrill rides for older kids at Universal. They have some kiddie rides, but he would not have been able to do a lot of them until recently. In fact, I think there were two that he was still too short to ride but will probably be tall enough next time. We liked Universal, but Disney will always feel more like home due to childhood memories. Universal was more relaxed and required a lot less planning. It's ideal for people that really want to go by the seat of their pants. It seems pretty easy to switch parks the day of. It also seems easy to get dining reservations day of, at least most of the time, especially if you stay at Universal and have priority seating. Park hopping is also a no-brainer there. It's like park hopping at Disney Land. If you want to save money, don't park hop at Disney but definitely do it at Universal. Also, Universal was just cheaper in general, from the hotel to the park tickets. Food seemed to be just as expensive. One thing is that Universal park open and close later than most Disney parks, so you actually get to rest more too. If you don't want to have to drive, Universal is easier for that, because walking to the parks and Citywalk is very doable from the hotels. There's really no waiting for transportation, unless you take the water taxis. However, you still have to get to/from the airport. The dichotomy between the two is nice and makes for a really balanced vacation.

Food - The food quality and choices are better at Disney. Even the WDW quick service stuff has more variety and better quality. There are a few gems at Universal and a good selection at Citywalk though. Since Universal is small and it's easy to walk to Citywalk from the parks and hotels, it makes the lack of choices a little easier to deal with. Also, since places don't seem to get as crowded at Universal and don't require reservations way far in advance, that helps. My biggest complaint was the lack of a kids menu at many of the Universal places. I know some of the WDW places don't have a kids menu, but those are few and far between. It's not the selection that was such a problem. The cost and size tended to be too much for DS, and we don't really like to share with him, since he has bland tastes. This was fairly minor though, and there are a decent number of places that have a kids menu, just not as large a proportion as WDW. The small number of character meals at Universal could be a problem for some. It wasn't for us. There are not many buffets, which was actually a plus in my book. I always eat way too much at buffets and regret it later. The candy and snack choices are good at both. Honeydukes is evil and will strip you of your money with its evil spells:faint:

Thanks if you have persevered and continued reading along. This got to be longer and a lot wordier than I thought it would be. Maybe this is why I haven't done a trip report before:eek: I hope there was helpful info.

I enjoyed your trip report. We're waiting til our son is older to go back to both Universal and to V&A's, so it's nice to read about them in the meantime.

I remember Holly Hobby, BTW. I dressed as her for one Halloween one year when I was little, haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter