Touring Key West on your own?

T_Pete06

Earning My Ears
We are going on our first Disney cruise next Dec. Our first stop is Key West and
I wasn't really impressed with the excursions offered. We will be traveling with our son who will be 4 1/2. Does anyone have any suggestions on things we can do on our own? Thanks!

We are going on our first Disney cruise next Dec. Our first stop is Key West and
I wasn't really impressed with the excursions offered. We will be traveling with our son who will be 4 1/2. Does anyone have any suggestions on things we can do on our own? Thanks!
Well, the hop-on, hop-off trolleys are good. You can ride for a while and get off and walk a bit, when you want. There's an aquarium at Mallory Square, and the Butterfly Farm close to the southernmost point.

I would do the Old Town Trolley tour. It takes about 90 minutes to do the full loop but you get to see a lot of Key West, it is pretty entertaining and you can hop on and off at will.

The Key West Shipwreck Museum is a good tour to get the wiggles out, if your son is active, and likes pirates. there's a tower on top too, that's fun to see the island (and the ship!) from. It's a short walk from the pier.

Mel Fisher's is also kinda fun (and includes maritime lore and pirates) but it's a bit more mature.

Are any of you Hemingway fans? The Hemingway house seems like a fun place to visit. Also, there are a lot of fun shops, cafes, people watching opportunities on Duval Street. Don't forget the southern most point in the continental US buoy. That would be a great photo op.

Have fun!

The Truman White House is very interesting too. And just walking down Duvall street is a kick as long as you don't mind explaining a few naughty tshirts to your kids. Great people watching. Also love the butterfly museum.

We did the trolley and our daughter was 4 at the time. We just off at the southernmost point and walked back toward the ship. We walked by and viewed the Hemingway house, stopped on Duvall for snacks/drinks, and ended up at Mallory Square at the shops. We were there late enough on a Sunday to see the street performers and to blow out the sun, but I have been told that most cruises depart before then now

Any suggestions on a place to get some good key lime pie that's within walking distance of the port? Will have small children with me so don't want to walk more than 15-20 mins each way.

There is key lime pie literally everywhere. As far as a good one I don't really know because I don't eat it.....

We got off the ship and walked to the most southern point in the US bouy, and then just wandered around the area on our way back. My family is big time military so we walked to where the gates are at the naval station. We also grabbed some ice cream from a little shop, and eventually made our way back. Honestly we left that morning and we were back on board before lunch, we were bored. I don't know if we'll get off on our next cruise or not.

The trolley offer kids under 12 free tickets at the port. There is a stand right as you get off the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter