Touring Plans Fax

GrammyJudy

DIS Veteran
I had touring plans and picked a room I liked. We were at POP and I requested first floor in 70s. When we got there they assigned us to fourth floor in 50s. I had them change us to first floor 50s as I have a scooter and first floor is easiest. Room was fine but not what I requested. So touring and was a waste of time and I wouldn't bother with it again.

I used Touring Plans fax service for both hotels I stayed in last week (AoA and AKL villas) and received exactly what I requested. It must be hit or miss? Interesting though I've stayed at Pop twice and never received anything close to my requests. I'm glad they changed you to first floor!

The fax is not a guarantee to get the request. There are limited rooms that fit each category, and assigning them is like playing room Tetris. Basically not everyone is going to get their request - it happens.

Add to that rooms being out of inventory at POP because of refurb and they have even fewer rooms to work with.

That said, did you indicate anywhere on your reservation or request that you needed the first floor due to having a mobility scooter? Without that info, the room assigners had no way to know WHY you requested what you did.

I've had good success with Touring Plans - got rooms we requested at both Poly and BLT. I know it has been said that DVC doesn't accept the faxes, but I wanted one of two specific standard view rooms at BLT and got the room we requested when using TP fax. Maybe we were just lucky and the fax didn't matter, but I like to think it worked.

I had touring plans and picked a room I liked. We were at POP and I requested first floor in 70s. When we got there they assigned us to fourth floor in 50s. I had them change us to first floor 50s as I have a scooter and first floor is easiest. Room was fine but not what I requested. So touring and was a waste of time and I wouldn't bother with it again.
Sorry to hear you won't bother again. Not sure why. It took no significant effort on your part and next time you may well get exactly what you request.
It's always up to availability and never a promise.

Sorry to hear you won't bother again. Not sure why. It took no significant effort on your part and next time you may well get exactly what you request.
It's always up to availability and never a promise.

Is there any way to add a comment to your Touring Plans fax request like "prefer no connecting door if possible" ?

We've never done a Touring Plans request before(I'd like to try it this time) but do add requests to our reservation. Sometimes we get the request, sometimes we don't. I've gone to the front desk to change our room if I really don't like our location. They will try very hard to make you happy on your room if they have something you want available.

Is there any way to add a comment to your Touring Plans fax request like "prefer no connecting door if possible" ?

We've never done a Touring Plans request before(I'd like to try it this time) but do add requests to our reservation. Sometimes we get the request, sometimes we don't. I've gone to the front desk to change our room if I really don't like our location. They will try very hard to make you happy on your room if they have something you want available.
Yep, there's a box for you to enter whatever you'd like

Yes. You select a room and it will configure the opening of the fax in a res-speak way (direction facing, etc. but in the language of the system) with a few room numbers.

Then there is a box where you can customize. I thanked them for reading it and listed my preferences in order of importance. That way the assigner knows what is most important to me (4th floor), what is next (lake view), and what is third (building 7) and won't have to guess at what I would prefer if there are no 4th floor, lake view, building 7 rooms available.

It is just that, a request not a guarantee. We've used it for our last 2 trips and we had great luck with it and actually got the exact rooms we requested both times but I also list multiple rooms. It could also depend on when you go and how busy it is. Not everyone has gotten the room they requested but a lot of people have. It doesn't hurt to use it and I go into it not expecting anything, so if we do happen to get what we requested, we are pleasantly surprised.

It is just that, a request not a guarantee. We've used it for our last 2 trips and we had great luck with it and actually got the exact rooms we requested both times but I also list multiple rooms. It could also depend on when you go and how busy it is. Not everyone has gotten the room they requested but a lot of people have. It doesn't hurt to use it and I go into it not expecting anything, so if we do happen to get what we requested, we are pleasantly surprised.

This! Even though I do have a request, I would never let myself get so attached to a room or location I'd be upset if I didn't get it.

BUT as I said earlier, if there is a reason for the request - such as the OP's mobility scooter - that needs to be explained so that the room assigner knows why the request is being made. OP did not state if she did put that notation on there, but given that there was a 1st floor room available, my guess is no.

I am sure the "fax" system from a decade ago is now digital and most likely ignored. If not, I would bet the assigner sees it and provides the exact opposite. Online check-in is the method used now. If you have a specific request, it is best to try to get it at check-in.

I am sure the "fax" system from a decade ago is now digital and most likely ignored. If not, I would bet the assigner sees it and provides the exact opposite. Online check-in is the method used now. If you have a specific request, it is best to try to get it at check-in.

Based on multiple reports of people who have had success with the TP fax service, I would bet you are wrong.

You would be 100% incorrect. I have had CM read back to me exactly the words I put on the fax when I checked in. And I have gotten one of the rooms included on my request.

I have gotten the room next door to the one I requested when we stayed at Poly, at CSR I got the floor and section I requested but one building over and at BC I've gotten the floor I requested and full balcony but facing the opposite side. I don't ever expect to get exactly what I want so, and feel fortunate that at least some of my requests are met and will continue to use it.

Having said that, I also give my TA my requests to put on the reservation, so I honestly don't know which one carries more weight :confused3

I have gotten the room next door to the one I requested when we stayed at Poly, at CSR I got the floor and section I requested but one building over and at BC I've gotten the floor I requested and full balcony but facing the opposite side. I don't ever expect to get exactly what I want so, and feel fortunate that at least some of my requests are met and will continue to use it.

Having said that, I also give my TA my requests to put on the reservation, so I honestly don't know which one carries more weight :confused3
Neither carries more weight. They put you in the room type you request if possible, doesn't matter how they get the request and one way doesn't work more than another. As long as you get it to them, that's all that matters. If you do both, that's fine too, provided nothing contradicts the other. But if it always says the same type of room, no harm done

This! Even though I do have a request, I would never let myself get so attached to a room or location I'd be upset if I didn't get it.

BUT as I said earlier, if there is a reason for the request - such as the OP's mobility scooter - that needs to be explained so that the room assigner knows why the request is being made. OP did not state if she did put that notation on there, but given that there was a 1st floor room available, my guess is no.
Yup! I always use the note section of the fax, to explain why we are requesting certain rooms.

Yep, there's a box for you to enter whatever you'd like

Yes. You select a room and it will configure the opening of the fax in a res-speak way (direction facing, etc. but in the language of the system) with a few room numbers.

Then there is a box where you can customize. I thanked them for reading it and listed my preferences in order of importance. That way the assigner knows what is most important to me (4th floor), what is next (lake view), and what is third (building 7) and won't have to guess at what I would prefer if there are no 4th floor, lake view, building 7 rooms available.

Thanks!!!

I am sure the "fax" system from a decade ago is now digital and most likely ignored.
TouringPlans has an arrangement with WDW that was worked out when they were setting up their request system, so their faxes aren't handled in the same way as the ordinary guest faxes that we all learned to do back in the 90s. So while some resorts may no longer read what you fax to them, they'll read what Len sends.

I've used the TP room request 2x, both at Pop. Once I got the exact room, and the other trip there wasn't a vacant room in the area I wanted. If your request isn't available, there's really not much they can do.

I had amazing luck with using it at BLT, got the exact area I wanted but a few floors higher which made it even better. I requested a certain area for a room I booked for DS and his new wife for their honeymoon at AKL and don't thing they could have assigned them a more opposite room than requested. Also for a quick solo trip to AKL I was assigned to the exact opposite of my request. It's a matter of timing/luck but that won't stop me from trying

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter