• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Touring Sold-Out DVCs?

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
Our family is heading down for our first DVC stay in June. We definitely are planning an add-on sometime in the next couple of years. Are there still "model" rooms to tour at the sold-out villas? If not, can you request to see inside of a room that is either not booked or being cleaned for the next guests? We are hoping to make the rounds!

Also, will they have models of VAKL?

TIA

Ellen and Brian

No, there aren't any model rooms at the sold-out resorts. There will be AKL models at SSR - I believe they are being built now.

I guess you could always roam around a sold-out resort and see if Housekeeping would let you look in a room that was being cleaned, but it would creep me out to know that anyone looked inside my room while I wasn't there, so I don't think they would actually let you look inside an occupied room. Wouldn't hurt to ask the Front Desk, though.

Actually, when we were there in October, BWV still has a model on the Boardwalk that can be toured as well as SSR.

Not sure if the BWV model will be closed when the AKV model opens though.

I did exactly what you are proposing to do! I did it recently (2nd week of January). I went to each property. At the gate I told the guard exactly what I was doing and each one gave me a parking pass and wished me well.:thumbsup2 At the front desk they were very polite and made every effort to accommodate me immediately. The only place I waited was Old Key West- they were temporarily short-staffed. All properties acted like this request was a regular occurrance.

I really enjoyed going to each property and experiencing for myself the different feel at each one. The property that surprised me the most was VWL. Prior to going I didn't think I would have much interest in staying there. Wow, I felt like I was in a different world! I had no idea I would like it so much.:goodvibes If I had not experienced it, I would never have had the desire to stay there. As I was walking the grounds, the pool cast members were assembling the little kids for a rubber duck race. Even though I knew none of the children participating, it was fun to watch.

The reverse happened at AKL. It was very nice, but I expected to like it much more that I did. I think my expectations were too high. I'm not sure why I was disappointed.:confused3 We even ate breakfast at Boma and had a nice time.

Good luck,
Lisa

I did exactly what you are proposing to do! I did it recently (2nd week of January). I went to each property. At the gate I told the guard exactly what I was doing and each one gave me a parking pass and wished me well.:thumbsup2 At the front desk they were very polite and made every effort to accommodate me immediately. The only place I waited was Old Key West- they were temporarily short-staffed. All properties acted like this request was a regular occurrance.

I really enjoyed going to each property and experiencing for myself the different feel at each one. The property that surprised me the most was VWL. Prior to going I didn't think I would have much interest in staying there. Wow, I felt like I was in a different world! I had no idea I would like it so much.:goodvibes If I had not experienced it, I would never have had the desire to stay there. As I was walking the grounds, the pool cast members were assembling the little kids for a rubber duck race. Even though I knew none of the children participating, it was fun to watch.

The reverse happened at AKL. It was very nice, but I expected to like it much more that I did. I think my expectations were too high. I'm not sure why I was disappointed.:confused3 We even ate breakfast at Boma and had a nice time.

Good luck,
Lisa

Yes, I'm sure you could visit the resort - I just didn't know if they would let you look at actual rooms. They don't advertise this so I would assume they wouldn't have it available on a regular basis.

I thought I had read that the model at BWV on the Boardwalk had been dismantled and rebuilt as actual BWV rooms, but maybe I was wrong and it is still there!!!

The point being, once DVC has sold out the resort, they won't have an "official" presence at the location anymore, and you might or might not be able to see the rooms.

Good luck!!!

Last year when we were at WL I went to the front desk when dh and kids were resting and asked if I could see one of the villas. A front desk CM found an empty room and took me for a mini tour.

Thanks, everyone!! Great information! We can't to see the other DVCs!!

Ellen and Brian

Yes, as another poster said, BWV does still have a sales office with room models there. We were there the end of Sept., we were on the 4th floor above the DVC offices. They usually closed around 9:00 (maybe 10:00). We walked in there 1 night, there were 2 guides in there but no customers.

When we were staying at OKW in a studio several years ago, we called the Front Desk and asked if we could see a 2 BR. Within a few minutes a nice CM in a golf cart took us to see an empty one. I remember one thing we loved was the view, but sadly we've never been able to get that same villa!

I thought I had read that the model at BWV on the Boardwalk had been dismantled and rebuilt as actual BWV rooms, but maybe I was wrong and it is still there!!!

They HAD turned the models into rooms. I'm not sure for what amount of time it was BUT at one point there was no model rooms at BWV after they sold out. They were also at the other end of the Crest O' Wave building then they are now.

Then I come back one trip and There they are a new set of model rooms!!!!!

They are still there , til only DVC Knows!!!

I've done it too. The front desks are nice about finding you an empty room to see and someone to take you to see it IF there is an empty room and free staff. I've had to wait for a bit, however, due to staffing issues, and had to come back on a different day to see a GV since it was not empty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter