Touring the AKL

mamahauldren

Mouseketeer
I have seen such beautiful shows and ads about this place and would love to "tour" this place. Is this frowned upon? I am sure we would never be able to afford to stay there but would love to look at it...

You can visit any of the resorts to look around. Just tell the guard at the gate you want to look aroung the hotel, and he will wave you through :)

Blessings,
mic_key_mouse

You can look at the resorts no problem. We visited AKL twice so far to see the animals, peak in the shops, wanted to try Boma's but they were out of tables for the night. They will give you a three hour parking pass.

You never know what you'll be able to afford in the future, but, in the meantime, certainly you can go and look around. You can also grab a snack, or a meal, in one of the restaurants (mmmmmm..... Boma), or have yourself a tasty beverage in the lounge. AFAIK, the only facilities reserved for guests are the rooms :jester: , pools and hottubs.

It is gorgeous. If it wasn't so isolated, it might be our next resort, but I'm trying to find a way to stay at something more convenient to Epcot (DH's favourite park).

Kungaloosh!
Mort.

Why not just make reservations for a dinner at Boma's? (Or lunch?) Come early, enjoy the beautiful displays, walk around to see the animals, and then have a great meal.

I'm hoping to talk hubby into doing a meal at Wilderness Lodge - we're staying at AKL this trip, but I'd love to check out WL.

While you are there make sure you walk across the suspension bridge above the lobby.

There are 3 places form which to view animals;
1 - Arusha Rock area straight through the lobby
2 - Out by the pool there are various locations
3 - Outside the sitting room on the left hand side of the lobby.

A trick I learned from someone who works there is to travel down the hallways of the hotel. There are look out stations every so often (3rd floor I believe) down each hall and if the animals are far away you can get a closer look sometimes. The best viewing time is 5-6 pm.

Check out the artwork and the fireplace.

The AKL offers a free guided tour of the hotel & their art collection. I'm not sure if it's for hotel guests only, or if anyone can take it. You might want to call the hotel directly to inquire about times and specifics. It is fantastic!

I never thought to go and "tour" the AKL to see the animals from there too -- do you see very many -- and what -- how close do they come?

We stayed there last week and I loved it. We made the decision to stay there having toured the place back in Feb and ate at Boma. I definitely do not regret our decision to stay here.

If you want, take a look at the pictures I took:

Animal Kingdom Lodge

BTW, I learned this from the savannah guide: There are 10 giraffes at AKL. 4 in each of the left and right savannahs, and 2 in the middle savannah. And right now, AKL just got the OK from the AZA that says the giraffes can mate. So expect some little giraffe babies in the next 2 or 3 years!

Giraffe
Ankole Cattle
Bongos
White Pelicans
Zebra
Gemsbok
Wildebeest
Eland
Kudu
Ostrich
Maribou Stork
Thompson's Gazelle
Impala
Pink Flamingos

I don't know if you have to be a register guest or not. At the front desk they have a sheet of paper with clues on it to find Hidden Mickeys in the hotel. We loved it. The kids and adults had a great time trying to find them. All of the CM's were anixious to help us and we got to talk with some really neat CM's from Africia.

We went last year and they had offered some really great rates so we grabed them. I was like a big kid when we pulled to check in. I was so excited. I have not felt like that in a long time and it really set the mood for the entire trip. As you can see we go to Disney alot. I was really surprised that I felt that way. It was really nice. It really is not that far. They are really all- most next door to the the AllStars Resorts and just down the road from MGM and Epcot. It looks far on the maps, but in true life they are not that far from anything.

If we did not own DVC I would stay there all of the time. I just wish they would turn part of that hotel in DVC and I would buy more points for there. Love that hotel.

If you go outside by Boma's and walk towards the left, they have a really neat snack shop. We ate our breakfast there almost every day.

I can assure you that AKL is a destination unto itself. Seems what Eisner refuses to spend on maintaining the parks does not impact what they've done in the area of resort hotels.

AKL is simply amazing. We made a point to visit in 2002, and then made a point to stay in the concierge in 2003. My suggestion would be to make it an afternoon/evening.

Depending on how early you eat, you might make reservations in Boma or elsewhere. Arrive an hour early or so and tour the resort. Try to arrive before dusk so you'll have enough light to appreciate the beauty of the lodge.

If you can spend a night (I'd recommend at least two nights) it's worth it. Keep in mind the busrides are longer and if they've cut back on scheduled transportation it will seem like forever. You can get a good deal with a code now and then.

Either way, enjoy. Also, if you have not checked outthe "Wilderness Lodge", I believe it was designed by the same person and offers just as much in the way of design.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter