Touring the parks with anxiety disorder

What a great post. I went this year, whilst suffering episodes of high anxiety (leading to constant horrible physical symptoms) and worry over a scan I had to have.

I've had the scan. All clear. My anxiety was really bad over in the USA just because I'd reached such a high point of stress. I'd basically burnt myself out.

I'm more of a worrier and a stress head, which leads to anxiety.

I'm feeling better now but I think it's the scan that worried me.

Anxiety is horrible. I'm sick of it. I've had it almost this bad ten years back but this 3-4 months has been the worst of it.

I can feel it calming now though. Heat and crowds made it hard!

What a great post. I went this year, whilst suffering episodes of high anxiety (leading to constant horrible physical symptoms) and worry over a scan I had to have.

I've had the scan. All clear. My anxiety was really bad over in the USA just because I'd reached such a high point of stress. I'd basically burnt myself out.

I'm more of a worrier and a stress head, which leads to anxiety.

I'm feeling better now but I think it's the scan that worried me.

Anxiety is horrible. I'm sick of it. I've had it almost this bad ten years back but this 3-4 months has been the worst of it.

I can feel it calming now though. Heat and crowds made it hard!

Thanks for sharing! The physical symptoms make anxiety so much worse, and I think that's one thing that people who have not experienced mental illness have trouble comprehending. The physical toll it takes can be just as overwhelming as the mental anguish! So glad to hear your scan went well and wish you the best of health!

Thank you for this post. I was diagnosed with GAD a month ago, after a particularly difficult few months that culminated in a series of panic attacks. I'm looking forward to our vacation next week, but I've been a little concerned about how the anxiety might affect me, even with the medication. My biggest problem is that my meds make me incredibly sleepy. Any tips for dealing with that? We really wanted to hit rope drop each day and the nighttime festivities, as well.

OP you have been given good advice.
Per our conversation I am going to move this over to disAbilities board :)

What strategies are people using to help with the physical symptoms of anxiety? Mine causes me to feel "off" and slightly dizzy, which triggers more health related anxiety, which can then spiral into panic attacks and the idea that there is something medically wrong. Any good strategies that have worked for people?

I would think you should add:

Try to go to WDW at a slower time of year. Christmas, for example, is stressful for everyone, not just those with anxiety.

What strategies are people using to help with the physical symptoms of anxiety? Mine causes me to feel "off" and slightly dizzy, which triggers more health related anxiety, which can then spiral into panic attacks and the idea that there is something medically wrong. Any good strategies that have worked for people?

Well, I've tried medication but it made it worse. I'm on another form of medication but stopping it soon to try no medication whatsoever.

The only real physical symptoms I get now are a nervous feeling in my legs (like when you get that hairs on the back of your neck feeling from adrenaline) which comes and goes but causes no pain or problems, and dizziness but the dizziness may be related to pain free migraines (this is being looked into but my MRI was thankfully clear).

Thank you for this post. I was diagnosed with GAD a month ago, after a particularly difficult few months that culminated in a series of panic attacks. I'm looking forward to our vacation next week, but I've been a little concerned about how the anxiety might affect me, even with the medication. My biggest problem is that my meds make me incredibly sleepy. Any tips for dealing with that? We really wanted to hit rope drop each day and the nighttime festivities, as well.

I do not want to give advice concerning medication, because each is different and I am NOT a doctor. I did discover that with my particular medicine, taking a half a dose made me far less drowsy. My suggestion would be to plan on an afternoon nap each day. If you get up at a decent hour and hit the parks, you'll get a lot accomplished by mid-morning or lunchtime. That leaves you plenty of time to return to your hotel, get a couple hours of rest, and then hit the parks in the evening. Also, eat foods with lots of protein and avoid high-sugary foods, especially for breakfast. I find that if I get a solid breakfast with lots of protein, it sets me up for a good day. There are also plenty of places to rest in the parks if needed. If you're feeling overwhelmed or extra sleepy, find a nice spot in the shade or in some air conditioning and sit and relax for awhile. The rest of your party can keep touring while you get replenished. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Have you tried non-drowsy motion sickness medicine to help with the dizziness? That may help if you're concerned about certain rides. My panic attacks are almost always related to stomach issues so that's what I tend to focus on. I take a probiotic every day, which has helped tremendously, and am sure to eat lots of protein and avoid caffeine. Have you found anything that seems to help when your physical symptoms start? Also, this is probably redundant, but perhaps your doctor would have some suggestions or medication alternatives? I feel for you... I soooooo understand that vicious cycle of anxiety and physical symptoms.

When you had an anxiety attack try not to fear it. Just go with it. When you fear it, it adds a second fear and produces more symptoms.
When you remove the fear and accept it the anxiety is not as scary and passes quicker.

Great book that is well known for anxiety sufferers is self help for your nerves by claire weekes.

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone! Yes, my stomach issues or really any physical ailment of any type trigger my anxiety. My mind goes from a small issue to "I must have brain, stomach or other cancer and I'm going to pass out and cause a scene" in about 2 seconds. Then I start to have chest breathing/hyperventilation and feel even worse. I have a book specific to health anxiety that I should re-read, and I'll try the probiotics as well. I've very recently started to avoid milk and other dairy, and have been off of caffeine for a long time. I also agree about the protein with every meal, too.

My biggest problem is that my meds make me incredibly sleepy. Any tips for dealing with that?

My daughter had the same issue and ultimately some medication was tweaked to better balance as well as splitting it to morning and night. It won't help for this trip, but long term bring up how sleepy it makes you with your doctor and they can work with you on making the effects less.

Walking helps me, as the physical exertion does so much - distracts me, burns off the adrenalin rush, sets my heartbeat back to a normal pace, and it gives me time to think about what set me off. I do a lot of self-analysis when I feel a rise in my anxiety.

Stress at work caused me to have anxiety related stomach issues that were really painful and worrisome. I found that Zantac and tums helped at least control those symptoms.

Good luck!!!

Question for those with anxiety or family members with anxiety... Do you find that ultra-planning (which unfortunately seems to be necessary for certain parts of Disney vacations nowadays) helps ease your anxiety about the trip or does it add to it? I know for me on this last trip, I think all the ADRs and having to be a certain place at a certain time definitely added to my anxiety. In fact, next time I would choose not to have the dining plan, because I do not want to have to schedule many table service meals. Having FP+ reservations didn't bother me, because if you miss it, you don't get charged a penalty like you do with ADRs.

What do you think? Is it better for you to plan ahead or go with the flow?

My biggest suggestion for touring the parks with anxiety is to take breaks *before* you need them. I go to First Aid, go to quiet shows, find a quiet corner to eat a snack, go back to the hotel... and I try to do it before I start feeling tired/overwhelmed/anxious.

Also, take a break at the end of the day BEFORE trying to get back to the hotel. Whether you are riding buses or trying to get out of the parking lot, it is always stressful. I take a 20 minute quiet-time break before I attempt to navigate that craziness.

What do you think? Is it better for you to plan ahead or go with the flow?

For my daughter, I always need a plan b, c, d, and e. It'll change moment to moment. Generally if we hit a spot in the park where we are just "passing time" waiting for something scheduled is when the rest of the day is not going to happen anywhere close to planned. She picks a couple adrs she really wants to do and will tell me lunch or dinner, those she makes. the 1 or two I want, lunch works best and starting the day headed to that lunch with fastpass after it has the best results for us. She likes alone time so anything at disney springs, we'll go to lunch together, I'll go off somewhere else and we'll meet back up for dinner somewhere of her choice.

Last edited:
My biggest suggestion for touring the parks with anxiety is to take breaks *before* you need them. I go to First Aid, go to quiet shows, find a quiet corner to eat a snack, go back to the hotel... and I try to do it before I start feeling tired/overwhelmed/anxious.

Also, take a break at the end of the day BEFORE trying to get back to the hotel. Whether you are riding buses or trying to get out of the parking lot, it is always stressful. I take a 20 minute quiet-time break before I attempt to navigate that craziness.

This is really, really good advice for people with lots of different concerns. Refuel the tank before it is running so low you can't function properly anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter