Tournament of Roses Parade?

MrsW

Earning My Ears
We are trying to come up with some ideas of where to vacation during Xmas break - adults only. Does anyone who has gone to the Parade in recent years have thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone booked a package, or maybe just bought tickets to watch the parade? We would be flying from the East Coast and since we'd have to return the next day, we'd be looking for ideas of what to do or where to stay during the week or 10 days before the parade. I think we'd prefer to avoid the LA area. Beach or other outdoor activites would be great. I appreciate any thoughts or advice. Or any other suggestions. Thanks!!

My husband and I went in Jan 2020. We booked a package through AAA. The tour operator was not our favorite. There were many other tour companies there also. It was worth it but a lot of early mornings and waiting. We stayed in LA and went to float building display and the marching band competition. We also went to the Reagan Library about an hour north of LA, some groups went to Long Beach and Universal is nearby.

We went to the Rose Bowl parade a number of years ago. As I recall, we couldn't get tickets to watch the parade but they parked the floats in a public park after the parade was over and it was open to the public. Might check their website to see if that is still true. Since this is on New Year's Day and there is also the football game, I would imagine you have to check around to find reasonably priced hotels or stay a good distance away. If you go to see the floats at that park sometime in the afternoon once the football game has started would probably be less crowded and less traffic.

Some friends used to live near the parade route. They always chose to watch it from home and then view the floats afterward. It looks like tickets to get into the viewing area are $20, and they have shuttles from park-and-ride lots to get you there. If you want to see the parade in person, there several viewing areas with varying prices. All the info is listed on their website.

I've gotten tickets for the parade, but it was a while ago. However, I don't think things have really changed all that much. The cost of the tickets will depend on the location and the particular view. Some views are more obstructed by trees, but it's not to bad. It's also good to have a seat in a grandstand where you can see over the heads of people on the sidewalk. We also got parking as part of our package, and it was at one of the Pasadena Community College garages about a block away. Otherwise there is free street parking, but you may need to park way, way aways.

The official seller of grandstand tickets is a company called Sharp Seating. They're pretty standard temporary grandstands with bench seating. Prices are $80-$110 right now without parking.

https://sharpseating.com

This is sort of what it looks like. These seats probably cost more because there are no trees. I think on the bottom it's VIP seating and free sidewalk viewing across from the grandstands.

NEWS_161219875_AR_0_OULKCQQMYFIS.jpg

Most of the people watching the parade aren't paying for it - more or less. It's really crazy on the sidewalk. There are people sleeping overnight, and since it's usually New Year's Eve the night before, there's a lot of partying although generally little alcohol (they will enforce open contain laws although some sneak it in). What I remember was tons of silli string all over the sidewalk, some brought over propane-fired patio heaters, sleeping bags everywhere, etc. Some set up folding chairs, and there are rules for that. I think that some companies provide that setup for a price, but there are rules on how many people have to be there at all times relative to the number of chairs. Also - it was freaking cold - about high 40s F. We got breakfast at McDonald's, but they didn't open the dining room or restrooms. They had a very limited menu of an Extra Value Meal with a breakfast sandwich (I think Egg McMuffin, Sausage McMuffin with Egg, or Sausage Biscuit with Egg), hash browns, and large coffee or tea and only order taken by an employee outside.

Some friends used to live near the parade route. They always chose to watch it from home and then view the floats afterward. It looks like tickets to get into the viewing area are $20, and they have shuttles from park-and-ride lots to get you there. If you want to see the parade in person, there several viewing areas with varying prices. All the info is listed on their website.

It's free to watch as long as you don't need a grandstand seat. And they run lots of extra public transportation. I drove through the day before the parade at about the time (noon) when they allowed groups to set up chairs on the sidewalk. I think most people watching on the sidewalk get there way early. Parking is going to be the tough part with a large group.

https://tournamentofroses.com/about/parade-day-guide/

I looked up the price of grandstand seating for this parade and it's $80-110 per seat.

I talked to someone who lived in Pasadena and commented about the mess that gets left behind. She said it doesn't bother her as a cleanup crew comes in, and it's something that they're known for, plus how it benefits the local economy.

I’ve been to the parade a couple times. It is doable on your own. We got tickets for the parade grandstand viewing and for parking. We visited the Gamble House in Pasadena and the Iowa Battleship in Long Beach (?). We lived in San Diego for 8 years and loved it but the Pacific is cold at that time of year but SD has a world class zoo and the Wild Animal Park, Sea World, Balboa Park with several museums, Old Town, Naval ships to tour, Point Loma Lighthouse, etc. I don’t know if The Old Globe Theatre would have shows at that time of year but it was one of our favorite things to do in SD. DL can be crowded but we always loved going there. We also liked Sequoia National Park a lot but never visited at that time of year.

We bought tickets for the parade so we could sit in the stands. As I recall we had to get there very early, so lots of waiting around on a cold morning. I think we spent a lot of money at Starbucks, partly to get warmed up inside a building, partly to get breakfast, and partly to justify using their bathroom.

I'm glad we did it once, but I wouldn't bother a second time. Maybe just me, but I thought the floats look more impressive on TV than in person.

You would probably want to spend the night before the parade reasonably close to Pasadena. One fun thing to do in that area is to visit the Huntington Library/Art Museum/Botanical Gardens in nearby San Marino. It's definitely worth a visit.

If you want to avoid the LA area entirely during the first part of your trip, the beach community of Santa Barbara is only about 2 hours up the coast, and if you fly into LAX, there is even a convenient bus that lots of people who live in SB take to get to/from the airport to avoid the sometimes frazzling drive. (You could also fly directly into the very cute Santa Barbara airport, but service there can be a little spotty these days because of limited schedules and covid issues with the airlines.)

Farther up north, about another two hours from Santa Barbara, is the mission & college town of San Luis Obispo. (If you head in that direction, you might want to stop at Solvang on the way, a Danish inspired touristy town, but worth at least a quick look.) Just west of San Luis Obispo is beautiful Morro Bay - think sea lions, sea otters, and nice, very uncrowded beaches. (Fun kayaking there - I'm assuming you can rent the equipment, but I don't know that for sure since I go out with family.) In the same general area a few miles farther north, and along the beach, is the cute town of Cambria. This is also the general area where San Simeon is located - the huge property owned by Hearst, and the inspiration behind Citizen Kane.

Anyway, there is a lot to do outside the LA area, and if you're not used to the LA freeways, and don't like the general congestion there, it can be much more relaxing to spend time just a little farther north. And just FYI - you can't avoid renting a car entirely to get around in CA. But depending on how you want to plan your trip, Amtrak does run trains, with some beautiful views of the coast, all the way from Santa Barbara to/from San Luis Obispo. And if you want to go to Disneyland anyway, you could fly into the John Wayne Airport in Orange County, then catch an Amtrak train from Anaheim to Santa Barbara or all the way up to San Luis Obispo. I'm not trying to scare you off from LAX. Everything is doable from there, but it's not a relaxing airport to fly into or out of, so I thought you might like to hear of other options that might not be as obvious to people who aren't familiar with the area.

Hope this helps!

I didn't quite read about all the stuff to do for about 10 days. I'm not sure how keen you'd be to visit Las Vegas. Whether or not you gamble, Vegas has some of the best entertainment and food anywhere these days.

I think the best part of the parade was when a stealth bomber flew over us. It was totally silent and unexpected.

We had an "opportunity" to buy a package deal through a travel agent, with reserved seating for the parade and the game, plus transportation. It was a rip off, so we bought what we needed separately. Make sure to do your homework.

It was a fun experience, but once was enough for us. It's a lot simpler, more comfortable to watch from home.

I think the best part of the parade was when a stealth bomber flew over us. It was totally silent and unexpected.
I don't know if I'd call it silent. Still sounds like a jet plane. Not super loud like a lot of fighters, but at least as loud as a typical airliner.

I agree. Stealth refers to its radar signature, all jet engines make a loud noise. Have seen various stealth aircraft fly over different sporting events and all were very loud when close to the ground.

Years ago I volunteered to decorate a float and got free tickets to the parade and post staging area. Not sure if they still do that, yet decorating a float was a once an a lifetime experience. The Norton Simon Museum is beautiful as well.

I've been to see the Rose Parade a few times over the years. When I was younger we'd camp out on Colorado Blvd. overnight (my dad would sleep in the car since he didn't like spending the night on the cold sidewalk). Around 10 years ago I went with a bunch of young adults that wanted to try it. We went around 4:30am to a neighborhood near the end of the parade route. So, we weren't on the craziness of Colorado Blvd, but we also saw floats that had been folded down in order to go under the freeway overpass. The next time I go I'd like to try the stands. I'll have to check with my friends to see if they're interested.

You got some nice ideas to see things in the LA area. So, some are repeats here, and in no particular preference:
  • Huntington Library
  • Santa Barbara
  • Reagan Library
  • Mission San Juan Capistrano
  • These can be combined
    • La Brea Tar Pits
    • Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills Hotel
    • Hollywood area (maybe see a movie at El Capitan Theater or Graumann's Chinese Theater
    • The Grove/Farmers Market (also has an AMC theater)
    • Check out Santa Monica and Venice
    • Griffith Park Observatory
      • if you're a Disney fan dine at Tam O'Shanter and ask for Walt Disney's table (#31)
  • Tour the Warner Bros Studios
  • Take a tour of Hollywood; I've done this a few times with friends, also took a tour leaving from the Grove
  • Walking/Food Tasting tour in Downtown Los Angeles
  • Drive down to San Diego and see the zoo, then dinner in Old Town
  • Visit Laguna Beach and stroll their downtown area
  • Visit Pasadena and stroll around their downtown area
  • Disneyland or Downtown Disney
  • Knott's Merry Farm
  • Universal Studios
  • Go to the Rose Bowl game
  • Visit one of the many museums- Getty (and have a meal at the Bel Air Cafe owned by Roy Disney's daughter- check out the Hidden Mickey's there), LA County Museum of Art (LACMA), Museum of Natural History, Science Museum, etc.
  • See a play at the Pantages or other theater, or listen to a concert at the Disney Concert Hal

Yes, I have one thought. On Christmas holiday 2022, I was going to Pasadena. The parade was great, but even more interesting, was seeing the floats up close afterward.
We are trying to come up with some ideas of where to vacation during Xmas break - adults only. Does anyone who has gone to the Parade in recent years have thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone booked a package, or maybe just bought tickets to watch the parade? We would be flying from the East Coast and since we'd have to return the next day, we'd be looking for ideas of what to do or where to stay during the week or 10 days before the parade. I think we'd prefer to avoid the LA area. Beach or other outdoor activites would be great. I appreciate any thoughts or advice. Or any other suggestions. Thanks!!

MJ, what was that sort of quaint shopping area that you took me to when I was out there years ago. I still can picture that place.

Hi Dan,

I can't remember where we went.... I remember picking you up and you having to fold yourself in my RAV4 :lmao:- but I don't remember what shopping area I may have taken you. Could it have been Farmers Market?

Hi Dan,

I can't remember where we went.... I remember picking you up and you having to fold yourself in my RAV4 :lmao:- but I don't remember what shopping area I may have taken you. Could it have been Farmers Market?
I seem to recall it was Spanish looking. Maybe a lot of lights in trees and that. It was nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter