Tower of Terror possible Marvel Makeover?

I am not a Marvel fan either but I am a Star Wars fan and while I love HyperSpace Mountain I am sure those who are not Star Wars fans do not. That is the issue with visiting a park that is designed for more than just one person - there are going to be changes we love and those we hate. It won't affect the ride though, so I'd be fine with it - but I mean let's all face it - Twilight Zone? I had to explain to my kids what that was - and according to my daughter it was some 'weird show from the 1700s'. So I have to admit the idea for an update is hard to fight.

Personally, I like the Twilight Zone for Tower of Terror, and think that the theme works well. I wish they wouldn't make the changeover, but I love what they did with HyperSpace Mountain, so I'm sure I'll adjust to the Marvel Tower. At least Disney keeps things fresh. :)

I don't know how much themed 'plot' could be added to this ride. Most of the Twilight Zone theming is in the pre-show and the story fits the design of the building. I suppose the Marvel characters could find some way to get trapped in a haunted elevator, but there isn't much room at the end for a conclusion to any plot.

I like my TOT as is, I think!

But what's this about a new land being constructed in 2017?? Has anyone heard any plans? I must have missed this announcement...

I love Marvel. I love the idea of a Marvel ride or two at Disney. Let me rephrase that, I love the idea of a NEW Marvel ride or two.

NO

Just... NO.

I am going to ride this on our next trip for the first time (just now worked up the courage, lol) and I LOVE The Twilight Zone.

Make a NEW Marvel ride if they're so jonesing to have one!

I can see where an attraction based on "The Twilight Zone" is losing traction with Disney's core audience, my kids have no idea who Rod Serling is, so a tower makeover makes some sense in that regard. For me, as in pretty much all updates/revisions/replacements it will come down to execution. If they do a good job, hooray! If not, anger will flow from my loins like water from the Nile.

I can see where an attraction based on "The Twilight Zone" is losing traction with Disney's core audience, my kids have no idea who Rod Serling is, so a tower makeover makes some sense in that regard. For me, as in pretty much all updates/revisions/replacements it will come down to execution. If they do a good job, hooray! If not, anger will flow from my loins like water from the Nile.

Teach your kids who Rod Serling is!

(If they're old enough, that is.)

I love that man.

My kids know who Rod Serling as I've had them watch a few of the great Twilight Zone episodes with them. I really love that show! And I really love Marvel, too. BUUTTTTTT, don't combine them. Talk about a really stupid idea. It's one thing to take a theme-less Space Mt and give it some Halloween flavor or Star Wars appeal. But to take a ride with a well-set theme and change it completely??? Dumb. Why don't we just take Indy and add in My Little Pony so that girls will flock to the parks to see it. Or maybe take Radiator Springs Racers and turn it into a Fast&Furious ride. Oh, I know...since no one in the USA can legally purchase Song of the South (and don't get me started on that), why don't we turn Splash Mt into Clash Mt and feature the events of the Clash of the Titans movie. :rolleyes2

A big NO THANK YOU. I would be okay with redoing TOT to eliminate the Twilight Zone component since it has aged out with the younger generations, but the Hollywood component has to stay!

I would be okay with redoing TOT to eliminate the Twilight Zone component since it has aged out with the younger generations, but the Hollywood component has to stay!

But that's the back story...the Hollywood Tower Hotel...Twilight Zone just tells the story.

I actually don't think you need to know the show Twilight Zone to enjoy the ride. My son is 11 and he's watched YouTube videos of the pre-story & ride. He is terrified of this ride and won't get on it, partly because of the creepy old story!

I would still ride this attraction if they converted to Marvel because I love the trill of the up and down and drop. But I also think the story and special effects are super cool (WDW is better, I've only rode it once, but I'm a Disneyland girl). I would just prefer if Marvel didn't take over existing rides with themes & backstories. This is different than Star Wars taking over Space Mountain. Space Mountain had no story and theme besides...space! The Star Wars theme fits in perfectly, even if it's just a temporary overlay. I don't feel that Marvel fits in the Hollywood Tower Hotel/Tower of Terror theme.

But that's the back story...the Hollywood Tower Hotel...Twilight Zone just tells the story.

I actually don't think you need to know the show Twilight Zone to enjoy the ride. My son is 11 and he's watched YouTube videos of the pre-story & ride. He is terrified of this ride and won't get on it, partly because of the creepy old story!

Yes that's my point - keep the Hollywood Tower Hotel backstory but get rid of the Twilight Zone telling if it's no longer relevant (as opposed to changing to Marvel). My girls (10 and 8) have no idea what the Twilight Zone is but TOT is one of their favorite rides. They love the creepy Hollywood backstory! The TZ part just goes over their heads. I don't think it's needed.

No matter what changes are made to the park, there will be those who love it and those who hate it. I absolutely HATE the changes (Johnny Depp) that were made to the POTC but there are a lot of people that love it. And most of them for their kid's sake. This would probably be just like that. Personally, I would have no problem if Autopia was permanently closed but I'm sure there are many who would be devastated if it was. And I'm sure there are many that feel the same way about my favorite rides.

There's always going to be change, and you have to take the good with the bad.

No matter what changes are made to the park, there will be those who love it and those who hate it. I absolutely HATE the changes (Johnny Depp) that were made to the POTC but there are a lot of people that love it. And most of them for their kid's sake. This would probably be just like that. Personally, I would have no problem if Autopia was permanently closed but I'm sure there are many who would be devastated if it was. And I'm sure there are many that feel the same way about my favorite rides.

There's always going to be change, and you have to take the good with the bad.

I understand what you are saying, but the difference is the Star Wars overlay to space mountain and adding jack sparrow to PotC made sense thematically. Turning ToT into a marvel ride would require more than an overlay to pull off thematically, it would require an entire redo of everything but the ride system.....exterior, interior queue, ride visuals and music, etc. if they didn't go all out like this, it would be like adding Edward scissorhands Johnny depp to PotC.

http://www.chipandco.com/will-tower-of-terror-receive-a-guardians-of-the-galaxy-makeover-232891/

What are your thoughts on this? I'm not a Marvels fan. At. All. :duck:This would really ruin it for me. Especially if it happened both in CA and MK.

What on earth? I don't even know what this guardians of the galaxy is. Lol The only Marvel character that I really like and care about is Agent Carter. Love that show by the way. :)
I hope ToT is not changed in this way. Why can't Disneyland just know when to stop with non sense?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter