Toy Story: Andy's Dad

Meanwhile, amid the 20th century Space Race and Cold War, the toy company ultimately decided to manufacture Buzz Lightyear dolls instead of Woody dolls.

What? Buzz didn't come out until the 90s so that company was developing Buzz for 40 years? Also, the whole backstory sounds crazy. Not buying this.

That seems odd. How would that be the only Woody doll? There was a whole line of Woody’s Round Up merchandise. Are we to believe that they made everything except a Woody? Then wasn’t Buzz also meant to be a relatively new toy when the film took place? Sure Sputnik got Woody’s Round Up cancelled according to the Prospector, but would Buzz really have been the toy line that followed and was able to still command an entire aisle at Al Toy’s Barn?

That seems odd. How would that be the only Woody doll? There was a whole line of Woody’s Round Up merchandise. Are we to believe that they made everything except a Woody?

He could be that only type of Woody doll. Sort of like how there's so few rocket firing Boba Fetts which is why they cost 5 figures outside the package and 6 in it.

He could be that only type of Woody doll. Sort of like how there's so few rocket firing Boba Fetts which is why they cost 5 figures outside the package and 3 in it.
“He said Ranft said Andy's father, Andy Sr., was the original owner of Woody, Mr. Potato Head and Slinky Dog in the '50s and that he is the only person to own a Sheriff Woody doll.“

That says he was the only person to own a Sheriff Woody doll, not a specific model of the doll. I guess that would explain why Al was so excited to find him.

“He said Ranft said Andy's father, Andy Sr., was the original owner of Woody, Mr. Potato Head and Slinky Dog in the '50s and that he is the only person to own a Sheriff Woody doll.“

That says he was the only person to own a Sheriff Woody doll, not a specific model of the doll. I guess that would explain why Al was so excited to find him.

I guess, that part seems semi plasuable to me. It's the other stuff that's just kinda out there.

I guess, that part seems semi plasuable to me. It's the other stuff that's just kinda out there.
To me that’s the biggest issue, along with Buzz being shoehorned in. Why would they manufacture everything except a Woody? They made lunchboxes, and yo-yos, and piggy banks, and bubble wands, and that tooth knock out game, and a guitar, and that snake in the boot, and all the other characters as dolls, etc.

Then there was Al winning Woody in the eBay auction, why would he even be looking there if only one was ever made and he already lost it?

Ive heard parts of this, but some of the facts are off in this version. Most is what ive read before, but the Buzz stuff is just off. The part about getting Woody is right, and other kids did get one but Andy Sr fell short. The secretary did get him the prototype Woody but it wasn't the only one. Woody was rare though as he was cancelled due to space toys, just not Buzz.

To me that’s the biggest issue, along with Buzz being shoehorned in. Why would they manufacture everything except a Woody? They made lunchboxes, and yo-yos, and piggy banks, and bubble wands, and that tooth knock out game, and a guitar, and that snake in the boot, and all the other characters as dolls, etc.

Then there was Al winning Woody in the eBay auction, why would he even be looking there if only one was ever made and he already lost it?

Yeah, I feel like it would have been a much bigger deal if the one and only Woody was up on eBay vs just “completing the set”

I mean, I can see the overall framework of this being true - that they were his dad’s toys and he got sick and told Andy about them, etc - don’t think that being the only Woody is critical to that structure

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter