• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toying with the idea of Dollywood

luvmyfam444

DIS Veteran
the week b4 Thanksgiving.
Will you give me any info - tips - anything??

We'd like to stay in a cabin - looked on their site & I'm checking out the cabin packages. Of course there may be something better out there.

Fill me in please!

I am not sure if the search here will work for you, but there have been several threads about DollyWood and this area.

The Smokies are beautiful!

If you arrive Mid-November, you might get the very end of some Fall colors.

I am assuming that it is the Dollywood web-site that you have looked at.
It will be Christmas at DollyWood. With limited days and hours. So make sure you check the calendar closely.

If you are wanting to get an early start on Christmas and the Christmas Spirit, that would do it!

I know that there are several good cabin rental companies.
But, we do not usually do a cabin.

If you can give more specific into about what you might like and what kind of trip you have in mind, I am sure you can get more good info!!!!

While we have been to that area over 40 times, this past weekend was our first trip that included Dollywood. Several of their rides are water rides, those probably would not be running at that time. Probably depends on the weather as to weather you want to be on a roller coaster or not, may be too cold. We didn't get to see the shows, as we were with the school chorus group, that just wasn't of interest to them. I am not sure it would be worth the $$$ if things are shut down due to the time of year, maybe someone else can add perspective on that.

We live right down the road from Disney World now, but we moved here 3 years ago from Asheville, NC and we had annual passes to Dollywood & their water park in Pigeon Forge, TN for a couple of years.

It was about an hour and a half drive for us, but always worth it. Dollywood is a unique park, filled with kind people, great food and fun rides and shows.

Staying in a cabin is a great idea. There are lots of nice cabins in the area, and they are near the park.

If you have any questions about Dollywood or the area feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer them.

Have fun!

Yes, DollyWood is a different experience at that time of year than it is in the summer.

The focus at this time of year are the Christmas shows in the theaters, and the millions of lights, and the huge Christmas Finale. It is not to be missed....

Many of the rides and attractions will still be open, but they will not be busy. People will be lined up, in advance, for the best shows.

For the past few Christmas's they have had a Polar Express attraction, based on the hit movie, in the Motion Seat Theater. Might be there again this year.

So, that one, and Night Before Christmas, and the Christmas on Ice professional Ice Skating show - that's three inside shows/attractions.

And, for a late Autumn, Early Christmas, Mountain getaway in a cabin... This would be it!

Thanks for the tips. I have wanted to get up to the Pigeon Forge area- & thought Dollywood would be something fun for the kiddos. the DW site has the cabins in a pkg starting around $389 a night with unlimited tix into DW. But that sounds like something we might not want to do if a lot is closed.

Actually, just thinking of something to do that week with dh on vacation - Was thinking WDW but with it being soooo crowded & no good deals out there - we could wait til the spring.

At this rate we'll be stuck here! just got an invite for a cousin wedding right in the middle of our time! UGH!!!!

We went to Dollywood a couple of years ago and we stayed in Pigeon Forge. But after seeing the area we would have preferred Gatlinburg. It had a more mountain town feel where Pigeon Forge was very touristy. But Dollywood was fun for a day or 2, enjoy!.

We really love Dollywood and have been several times. Just be aware - they do not post out front or tell you that rides/shows are down for the season, and depending on the weather, other stuff may close too. You pay your parking, pay your admission, get in the park ... and half of the things are shut down. The crafters areas are closed. Sooo you walk around staring at all the things you COULD have done had they been open/operational. Happened to us once, was very disappointing ... we spent a lot of money for a whole lot of nothing.

My advice to you is call ahead before you book this trip and ask what will be open during that time of year ... and depending on weather, if anything else will shut down.

On the upside, though, one perk we found with Dollywood was next-day re-entry. Don't know if they still do it or not, but if you enter after 3 p.m., the next day is free. ;) This used to be listed on their website ... you could also ask when you call about ride operation if this is still policy.

HTH :goodvibes

Hey Bearcats,
See, that's the thing... This isn't Disney... It is not in Florida where everything operates year round. Theme Parks, as far as roller coasters, water rides, etc... close for the Winter. And, attendance would not be strong enough to justify having everything open and staffed.

The Christmas at places like DollyWood is, well, just that... Christmas....

To me, this all would have been expected. And, therefore, no disappointment at all.

I can say, however, that at other times, like very late in the Season, when attendance is way down. Yes, things should still be open, but in these days of tight cost control... Yes, I have been disappointed to see things that should be operating closed down. There have been things like this that have disappointed and frustrated us.

Goofycampers,
Are you sure that wasn't the other way around? Gatlinburg is the tourist trap with the same tired merchandise with logos all over town but Pigeon Forge is where I prefer to stay. I love the aquarium in Gatlinburg and it's nice to walk around maybe once a every few years, but it gets old quick. I like the outlets in Sevierville, too.

Different strokes for different folks :rotfl:

I still have family in the mountains of North Carolina that we visit often. We have discussed getting an annual pass. Maybe we will this year ... It's been years since I've been but it was always an adventure! Not Disney World but a great park in its own right!

We haven't gone, but looked at going. I found tons of neat cabins on vrbo.com and still have several on my internet Favorites. Something to check out. There are so many available, the prices can be very reasonable.

Hey Bearcats,
See, that's the thing... This isn't Disney... It is not in Florida where everything operates year round. Theme Parks, as far as roller coasters, water rides, etc... close for the Winter. And, attendance would not be strong enough to justify having everything open and staffed.

The Christmas at places like DollyWood is, well, just that... Christmas....

To me, this all would have been expected. And, therefore, no disappointment at all.

I can say, however, that at other times, like very late in the Season, when attendance is way down. Yes, things should still be open, but in these days of tight cost control... Yes, I have been disappointed to see things that should be operating closed down. There have been things like this that have disappointed and frustrated us.

Oh I wasn't in any way attempting to compare Dollywood to WDW - that would be like apples and oranges! ;)

It was, however, disappointing to pay full price for admission and find half the park closed. I would have expected someone to say something to us that we wouldn't get the full experience of the park because of the closures. If I had known that ahead of time, we probably wouldn't have gone (which is probably why they don't say anything about it). I guess the mostly empty parking lot should have been our first clue. :confused3

FWIW, we didn't go during the Christmas celebration ... but we've always wanted to! I've heard the park is very beautiful that time of year. We were there late October.

Also FWIW, I live 5 minutes from King's Island, so I'm aware of what happens at theme parks during the Winter months. ;) Only difference is King's Island closes entirely after Halloween ... they don't close some things and keep other things open and not tell the customers until after they've paid their admission.

Ohhhh, it wasn't Christmas, but late season...

Yep, I agree.... Spring, Summer, Christmas... :thumbsup2
But, it isn't great late-season when they begin to shut things down.
That's not right!!!

This is very good info for anyone who might be considering October.

And just to reiterate to OP (or anyone else considering a trip to Dollywood) ... we loved it! :thumbsup2 Very different from other theme parks. Lots of artsy-craftsy stuff with many of the artisans on-site for you to watch them making their wares. Very laid back atmosphere, too.

Worth the trip and the money (and do check into that second-day-free thing, too).

Thanks tons! yep, I am one of those folks that would have never thought about a park closing -the only places I think about closing are water parks. Don't live near any parks & WDW is the only one we attend.

SOOOO now I think I'm back to sqaure 1 in the trip planning department.

We have lived in Disneys backyard for years and yet our kids LOVE going to Sieverville and Dollywood everytime I mention a trip to Tennessee.

So much fun and a reasonable price to boot.

The tree colors i fall are at their peak usually mid October til about Halloween. After November 1, we have found the trees are mostly bare or brown.

Thanksgiving time is nice except Dollywood closes for 2 or more days per week. Make sure to check the Dollywood site for the schedule. She is always closed on Thanksgiving Day.

The Christmas lights are beautiful and everywhere.
It will likely be chilly, so dress in layers.

Consider buying at least 1 Gold Pass for your family and the rest just get regular Season Passes. This way, the Gold pass will get you free parking as well as a 20% discount on EVERYTHING you buy including food. (you will recoup the cost difference in very short order)

If you buy your passes after a certain date in November of say this year, 2012, the passes will be good to use for all of the next year as well, should you take another trip then too, all your admission would be paid for! Great deal! :cool1:

Dollywood has fun artisan shops to check out as well. Love watching the guys make glass vases, bowls, ornaments etc.

Shopping on the Parkway is pretty good. Tennessee has an 11% sales tax, so that is pricey, but there is an AWESOME Christmas store that is amazing and has great prices. Plus, if you are from any other state, your purchases are tax free if you have them ship your merchandise to your home address. They ship UPS and I have never had any problems receiving my stuff a couple days after we get home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter