TR - Spirit of America 09/08 ~ Chapter 3 - Photos Added!

wsapooh

Earning My Ears
9/4/08-9/11/08
Spirit of America: Philadelphia – Washington DC – Williamsburg
DH – Dan age 38
Me – Laurie age 36
This trip was to be a celebration of our 15-year wedding anniversary
Adventure Guides: Karen & Elizabeth

Chapter 3 – Williamsburg

9/9

We bade a fond farewell to the Mayflower after another fabulous breakfast at the Promenade Café. We had the choice of going to the National Zoo or going back to the Smithsonian. We picked the zoo! We left the hotel at 9:00am. Upon arriving at the zoo, everyone made a beeline for the panda exhibit. So cute!! We knew we were on yet another tight time schedule. We took a few pictures, made a quick stop to purchase a small stuffed panda to take home, and moved on to see as many animals as we could. The heat and humidity had now returned but we didn’t let that stop us. We even got to see a teenage elephant get his daily bath inside the elephant house. He would stand against the side of the cage, bend down, turn around, kneel, and anything else the trainers needed him to do to get him squeaky-clean. It was fun to watch this guy having a good old time getting his bath. All to soon our time was up and we had to go pick up the other Adventurers at the Smithsonian. Then off to Williamsburg!

panda1.jpg

panda2.jpg

panda3.jpg

red.jpg

otters.jpg

bath.jpg

“National Treasure II” was our bus ride entertainment. Once again, the ride went quickly between conversation and the movie. Karen and Elizabeth were up and down the aisles again with snacks. We made a stop outside Fredricksburg to grab some lunch on our own. Yeah Chipotle!! We had enough time to purchase our food and get right back on the bus. DH and I savored our burritos and watched the movie as Fred drove us safely to Williamsburg.

We were greeted at the Great Wolf Lodge with lemonade and cookies. We all we re informed a few months ago that the Great Wolf Lodge’s big indoor water park would be undergoing a weeklong refurbishment during our stay. Because of that, we pretty much had the entire hotel to ourselves. It was EMPTY!! To make up for the fact that we wouldn’t have access to the water park, we were given a 50% off discount at the Elements Spa. Huzzah!! DH and I had planned on booking a couples massage at the spa anyway. So when we found out we were getting 50% off, we were thrilled! The weather had turned rainy again so everyone stayed inside. If it had been nice, there was a great pool area outside that would have been a lot of fun to play in. But, DH and I decided to have some fun in the arcade by playing Skee-Ball. After that, we decided to get a drink at the bar. We were the only ones there. The bartender just couldn’t believe how quiet it was. We went back to our rooms for a quick shower before our 90-minute Elemental Couples Massage. It was absolutely heavenly! After a drink and a 90-minute massage we were pretty much done for the evening. But we decided to get some dinner. This one was included and we had a special menu to choose from at the Loose Moose. We both ordered the prime rib, which was very good. Dessert was also included and I had the white chocolate raspberry crème brulee. Superb!! I could barely keep my eyes open by this time so it was off to bed.

9/10 – Our 15-year Wedding Anniversary!

DH and I exchanged anniversary cards before breakfast. It was cloudy and rainy but we didn’t let that dampen our excitement for another great day.

Breakfast was at the Loose Moose. It was another buffet. A bit of a letdown after the Mayflower but very good nonetheless. Nothing could compete with the Mayflower! As another “sorry you can’t use the water park” ABD had arranged for us to do a special tour of the Jamestown Settlement. When we got on the bus, Karen and Elizabeth announced to everyone that it was our anniversary. We were presented with a card and a special celebration pin. Our local guides for the day were Big Al and Bettina. We were split into two groups when we arrived. Our guide was Bettina and she was a riot! I think she was a military woman at some point because it was clear that she ran a tight ship. And she was a quick one! You’d better keep up with Bettina! There was map of the earth on the ground outside the visitor’s center. Bettina began her story of the male colonists who came to Jamestown on three ships. She picked three people to pretend like they were the three ships. She picked me to pretend like I was the wind pushing them along. It was actually pretty funny. There are photos of me pushing these 3 people around that would probly look like I was being very rude to someone who didn’t know that story. We toured the Indian village with costumed actors telling us how the Indians lived. They had recreated the three ships and we got to climb onboard each one and explore. Lots of photos. We did a very quick tour of the fort. Again, never enough time!

james.jpg

It was a short drive from the Jamestown Settlement to the historic area of Williamsburg. Lunchtime was already upon us so we went directly to Shield’s Tavern. The potpie was good but not as good as at the City Tavern. However, the chocolate cake was to die for! Mrs. Shield told us stories of her family’s tavern as we ate. The Capital was first on our private tour and we were thankful that the rain had subsided. While we waited for admittance, Big Al and Bettina taught us how men and women of the day greeted each other. The men in one line and the women in another line facing each other. It was very comical! Big Al trained the guys and Bettina trained the gals. We all looked pretty silly but it was fun, so who cares! After touring the capital, we went on to the goal (pronounced jail) after breaking back into our groups. As we stood inside a cell, Bettina told us stories of those who were confined here. Stories of hangings that became a public event. A spectacle for all to see where they sold hamburgers, hot dogs, and Cokes… at least according to Bettina. We visited as many shops along Duke of Gloucester Street as we could in the time allowed. The wig maker, the apothecary, the silversmith, and the milliner. A few of us got photos taken in the stocks. So many stories. So much history.

sheilds.jpg

tables.jpg

stocks.jpg

house.jpg

We had only one hour on our own before we had to get back to the hotel. Having been to Williamsburg before, I knew that I wanted to get my hands on some Chowning’s Tavern root beer. I was also disappointed that I had yet to hear a fife and drum corps. Bettina directed us to the bakery behind the Raleigh Tavern where we could get the root beer. It smelled sweetly of gingerbread inside the bakery. Mouth-watering baked goods beckoned but we were still full from lunch. The sodas were exactly what we needed on a warm day. And I wasn’t leaving Williamsburg without some Chowning’s root beer. I hadn’t had the Raleigh ginger ale before but it was just as good as the root beer. TASTY! DH and I explored the gardens and did a little shopping. I bought some lemon, lavender, castile, and bayberry soaps. DH bought some bohea and oolong loose-leaf teas. We slowly strolled up Duke of Gloucester Street wishing the day wouldn't end. As we did, around the corner came a fife and drum corps! Huzzah!!

fife.jpg

Back at the hotel, we got cleaned up and ready for our Farewell Dinner. A dinner that we knew would be great but still dreaded since it signaled the end of our Adventure. We all met in the lobby and it was clear that the mood was a bit somber. That somber mood changed in an instant when a 3-man fife and drum corp in full dress walked into the lobby! Huzzah! Elizabeth and Karen gave everyone a small American flag. The flag bearer, fife, and drum lead us out the front door of the Lodge. We followed them in a big parade through the parking lot and around to the back of the Lodge where the conference center is located. There was a beautifully decorated room for out Farewell Dinner. The men continued to play for us and graciously posed for photos when they were done. The flag bearer stayed with us and played a mandolin while we dined on steak, ribs, hamburgers, hot dogs, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, cheese, fruit, and salad. Beer, wine and soda to drink and brownies and strawberry shortcake for dessert. The flag bearer heard it was our anniversary and he had everyone sing for us. It was then that Elizabeth presented us with a bag from a shop in Williamsburg. She and Karen had bought us a bottle of cranberry shrub (a colonial fruit drink concentrate – recipes come with it) and two gorgeous cobalt blue shrub glasses. We were so touched. Lots of tearful reminiscing followed. The flag bearer moved us outside. He and Karen taught us how to do the “Virginia Reel”. The mood was once again joyous. Almost all of us participated in the dance. The others snapped photos. It was a festive and exuberant dance. We all laughed with glee until our stomachs hurt. It was the perfect ending to a perfect vacation. We were able to end it with hugs and laughter instead of tears.

parade.jpg

abdfinal.jpg

madolin.jpg

reel1.jpg

reel2.jpg

9/11

We were on the first bus to the airport. We had one last breakfast at the Loose Moose before departing. We said goodbye to Elizabeth at the Lodge. Karen came with us on the bus to the Richmond Airport and we said good-bye there. A paper was passed around the night before where we could write down our e-mail addresses. The guides photocopied it for each family so we could keep in touch with our fellow Adventurers. We said our last good-byes and parted ways.

So many fabulous memories to cherish. A trip of a lifetime. There is no doubt that we will be traveling with Adventures by Disney again. No doubt at all. Now we just have to decide what our next Adventure will be!

Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading it all!

Thanks for writing a great trip report! I enjoyed each chapter glad you had such a wonderful time.

Thank you for such a great report! Sounds like you had an amazing time. Belated Happy Anniversary to you and DH!

Today is September 30 and I received our Adventure Farewell Slideshow DVD and PhotoPass ID in the mail. So, that's a mere 19 days from the last day of our trip to when we recieved it. Woohoo!!

I was wondering if the kids had a good time, or were bored?

My DD is 10, and I was thinking of taking her, but she is only child.

Any info on how the kids fared?

Goldi

The kids had a wonderful time!! We only had 5 kids on our trip because the school year had already started. But so many adults really got into the spirit of the vacation so that they became kids themselves. Kids and adults played together and age didn't matter. The kids were "adopted" by all of the adults.

What's so great about this Adventure is that the kids enjoyed learning about history. They saw where history took place and heard the stories. I hated history when I was their age because memorizing names and dates just isn't any fun. This was FUN! I never heard any child complain of boredom. They didn't have time to be bored 'cause we were too busy!

I am an only child myself so I know where you're coming from on this. I would recommend taking an Adventure when school is out so the chance of there being lots of kids around increases. If you do that, I'm sure you'll find that your DD will quickly connect with other kids on the Adventure and have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter