Trader Sam's Wait Time?

SweaterInJune

Your Game Driver & Expert Safari Guide for the nex
We are looking to go to Trader Sam's on Sunday August 13th. We will have 3 adults, and one child. We also have a reservation for Hoop Dee Doo at 8:30p. What time should we arrive? We were hoping to be there for the 4pm opening, but were unsure about the wait time... Is it better to arrive later? This is our best opportunity to go. Thank you!

Last edited:
We are looking to go to Trader Sam's on Sunday August 13th. We will have 3 adults, and one child. We also have a reservation for Hoop Dee Doo at 8:30. What time should we arrive? We were hoping to be there for the 4pm opening, but were unsure about the wait time... This I our best opportunity to go. Thank you!

If you want to be there at opening I would get there at 3:45.

I went at 4:05 and it was a 40 minute wait for 3 adults and that was this past july

It's just random as to how long the wait is. Sometime it's not so bad, sometime it's awful.

My two cents: I don't think the place is worth waiting all that long for, especially with children. If you have two or three couples that want to go out for drinks and chat, it's good for that. At the end of the day it's a bar, period. The things that are different about it are more fun when you're a little tipsy - I assume something you're not going to allow yourself to be with your kids in tow.

If you just want to see the place, you can do that without waiting or buying anything. Then, you'll probably see how small it is (and wonder why it's such a big deal for some folks) and will cease to care if you get in or not.

It's just random as to how long the wait is. Sometime it's not so bad, sometime it's awful.

My two cents: I don't think the place is worth waiting all that long for, especially with children. If you have two or three couples that want to go out for drinks and chat, it's good for that. At the end of the day it's a bar, period. The things that are different about it are more fun when you're a little tipsy - I assume something you're not going to allow yourself to be with your kids in tow.

If you just want to see the place, you can do that without waiting or buying anything. Then, you'll probably see how small it is (and wonder why it's such a big deal for some folks) and will cease to care if you get in or not.

I completely disagree with this. My DS9 has been there twice and absolutely loves it (as do I). They have great mocktails for kids (and their moms!) and it super fun to watch the special effects and the antics. We went at 3:45 pm on a weeknight this past December and got in with the first wave of people which, IMHO, is the best way to get in without a wait. The only problem with that strategy for you is, you have a lot of time to kill between a 4 pm Trader Sam's opening and an 8:30 pm HDDR reservation. Unless you plan on hanging out a long time, Trader Sam's only took us about an hour to have 2 mocktails and some apps.

I completely disagree with this. My DS9 has been there twice and absolutely loves it (as do I). They have great mocktails for kids (and their moms!) and it super fun to watch the special effects and the antics. We went at 3:45 pm on a weeknight this past December and got in with the first wave of people which, IMHO, is the best way to get in without a wait. The only problem with that strategy for you is, you have a lot of time to kill between a 4 pm Trader Sam's opening and an 8:30 pm HDDR reservation. Unless you plan on hanging out a long time, Trader Sam's only took us about an hour to have 2 mocktails and some apps.
Thanks everyone thus far! We will have down time, but this is our arrival day, so we are find with returning to the hotel in between, or resort hopping a bit--I just don't wnt to miss either thing.
I expect my daughter will love the experience, even though it's a bar. Ultimately, this is a thank-you for my dad who is the benefactor of this trip. He has built a tiki bar in his backyard and we thought he should have a collection of souvenir glasses for inside. Plus, we all want to experience it once. I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice!

Last edited:

Thanks everyone thus far! We will have down time, but this is our arrival day, so we are find with returning to the hotel in between, or resort hopping a bit--I just don't wnt to miss either thing.
I expect my daughter will love the experience, even though it's a bar. Ultimately, this is a thank-you for my dad who is the benefactor of this trip. He has built a tiki bar in his backyard and we thought he should he should have a collection of souvenir glasses for inside. Plus, we all want to experience it once. I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice!

Tiki bar?! That's awesome! Yes, you have to go! Check out the Bou-Tiki gift shop at Poly, too as they sometimes have other glasses, mugs and shot glasses that might work in the tiki bar and will probably be cheaper than the mugs at Trader Sam's. If you need to kill some time, DS9 and I did a monorail hop in December which could be fun if you haven't visited all of the monorail resorts (granted, we went when the Christmas decorations were up, so there was a little more to see). You could monorail or walk over to GF, take the monorail to CR and then take the boat to Ft. W from there. At Ft. W, there is a playground and the WDW stables right next to the HDDR theater, so you could spend some time there as well. If your DD is small enough, she could also ride a pony!

Tiki bar?! That's awesome! Yes, you have to go! Check out the Bou-Tiki gift shop at Poly, too as they sometimes have other glasses, mugs and shot glasses that might work in the tiki bar and will probably be cheaper than the mugs at Trader Sam's. If you need to kill some time, DS9 and I did a monorail hop in December which could be fun if you haven't visited all of the monorail resorts (granted, we went when the Christmas decorations were up, so there was a little more to see). You could monorail or walk over to GF, take the monorail to CR and then take the boat to Ft. W from there. At Ft. W, there is a playground and the WDW stables right next to the HDDR theater, so you could spend some time there as well. If your DD is small enough, she could also ride a pony!

We'll definitely check out the shop. We missed out on Trader Sam's last year as it was merely a curiosity. We have a reason this time! DD did tide the ponies last trip at FW and loved it...she's a good deal larger this year 42.3"(w/out shoes) and 38lbs...and just turned 4 this past Monday! I'm not sure what the limits are, but I'll investigate before we head out. DH and I are both former CMs, so we've done much of east is on property, by TS's and HDDR will be completely new for us. We're excited!

Where is trader Sams do they offer other things to drink besides adult beverages looking for a place for four grownups to hang out drinking scale

1. Will no doubt
2. We'll look at the menu and price for something fruity
3. Might have a beer
4. Water only

This! My DD7 loves TS! She always orders one or two Schweitzer (sp?) Falls and starts up a conversation with another group, and she loves the antics. If you go at 4PM there's plenty of time for your DD to have a snack and still be hungry for HDDR, my DD loves the dumplings and the wings.

Where is trader Sams do they offer other things to drink besides adult beverages looking for a place for four grownups to hang out drinking scale

1. Will no doubt
2. We'll look at the menu and price for something fruity
3. Might have a beer
4. Water only

Trader Sam's is at the Polynesian Resort. It's on the lobby level near Capt. Cook's (the QS restaurant). Yes, they have great "mocktails" that were $10 each when we went in December. It's also a full bar, so they have juices, sodas, club soda, etc. They have appetizers, too, which are huge so easily sharable. It's really fun.

I know you are planning to go to AK. If you have time, I highly recommend taking a break at Nomad Lounge. They also have a full bar, plus an amazing cocktail and "mocktail" (non-alcoholic) menu. They fresh-squeeze their own juices and the drinks are delicious.

I don't drink alcohol and have enjoyed both of these places.

If you want to make sure you are able to get a place where you can sit together then I would suggest getting there around 30 minutes before opening to be safe. The seating in Trader Sam's is a turn off to a lot of people. My DH and I love to chat with people when we are at WDW so we don't mind sitting with people we don't know. The place is very small and many of the seats are arranged into small groups. When we have been there we always have two empty seats at our table area and always tell people who are wandering around trying to find a place to sit that they are welcome to sit with us. I would say about 80% of the time people look at us like we have 3 heads and then hustle straight out the door. We always shower and look presentable so I don't think it's because we are creepy looking! :rotfl:

It's a really fun place to interact with other guests. Even when we haven't had other people sitting with us we have always ended up chatting with people sitting around us and the CMs do things that make the whole place have fun together as one big group.

Reactions: BFD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter