Trading for a DVC contract. Any insight-advice?

MB_01

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever traded something (besides money!) for a DVC contract? Any idea how ROFR would work on something like that? My lawyer said he's not getting involved in any more of my fiascos and go ask someone else. Do you think a DVC reseller would help for some sort of fee/commission?

It's reportedly been tried. Disney will make you put a monetary value on whatever you are trading and base ROFR on that. It's not a way to get around ROFR.

Sorry but this made me almost spit my coffee all over my desk. :rotfl2:

Yeah. He’s a jerk but comes in handy most of the time!
So I can just use the value of the item being traded? Will my guide be able to tell me how to submit it? Don’t want to call him unless he can. He will talk me into doing something stupid like he always does...

It's reportedly been tried. Disney will make you put a monetary value on whatever you are trading and base ROFR on that. It's not a way to get around ROFR.

But what prevents you from saying “I’m trading this paperclip. It is worth $50,000”?

Obviously, I’m being a bit facetious, but you get the idea.

But what prevents you from saying “I’m trading this paperclip. It is worth $50,000”?

Obviously, I’m being a bit facetious, but you get the idea.
State and Federal laws re fraud. Civil action. OR, maybe just freezing the Member's account. Do you really think Disney will NOT challenge a suspicious valuation? They could certainly require the seller to pay for an independent evaluation. Meanwhile, the seller's account is frozen. Good luck fighting the bureaucracy, LOL!

State and Federal laws re fraud. Civil action. OR, maybe just freezing the Member's account. Do you really think Disney will NOT challenge a suspicious valuation? They could certainly require the seller to pay for an independent evaluation. Meanwhile, the seller's account is frozen. Good luck fighting the bureaucracy, LOL!

Maybe you could just get one of those suspicious experts on Pawn Stars to say it was a paperclip originally used to hold the Declaration of Independence together, and then you would be all set, all for the cost of just a couple thousand dollars.

Fair enough. I'd never do it, but I do find it interesting when folks think outside the regular.

Anyone else curious about the other fiasco’s the lawyer has dealt with. Bet OP has some stories.

There are a few! I’ll try and remember to post the one about the condemned high school we still own and can’t get rid of due to epa issues now... that’s sort of the straw that broke the camels back.

Not trying to trade a paper Clip! It’s a car. KBB is 42000ish on it and the other party has 300 BLT points. I think it’s a fair trade but I don’t want to go through selling the car to convert it to cash...

There are a few! I’ll try and remember to post the one about the condemned high school we still own and can’t get rid of due to epa issues now... that’s sort of the straw that broke the camels back.

Not trying to trade a paper Clip! It’s a car. KBB is 42000ish on it and the other party has 300 BLT points. I think it’s a fair trade but I don’t want to go through selling the car to convert it to cash...
So basically you are trading real property for real estate. Nice!! Don’t forget to include the fees!

...........Not trying to trade a paper Clip! It’s a car. KBB is 42000ish on it and the other party has 300 BLT points. I think it’s a fair trade but I don’t want to go through selling the car to convert it to cash...
:teeth: Neither does Disney, LOL. If they decided to exercise ROFR, they'd just give the seller the cash value you put in the contract. If they waive ROFR, you'd be golden. Might be worth a try. It's a gamble.

Maybe you could just get one of those suspicious experts on Pawn Stars to say it was a paperclip originally used to hold the Declaration of Independence together, and then you would be all set, all for the cost of just a couple thousand dollars.

OP would probably have to get Danny, the Count from Counts Kustoms to take it for a test drive

:teeth: Neither does Disney, LOL. If they decided to exercise ROFR, they'd just give the seller the cash value you put in the contract. If they waive ROFR, you'd be golden. Might be worth a try. It's a gamble.

In my head, I want to think that if Disney exercises ROFR, they'll give the seller a car instead of cash (to keep with the original terms of sale). Just look outside one morning and there's a car in the driveway with mouse ears on it. "Oh, guess Disney took our contract."

Even if this isn't how it works, I'm choosing to believe it.

I'm gonna try it if I can figure out how to submit the ROFR. That is the blue book on the car for trade in value which is quite a bit lower than private seller value so I wouldn't think they'd see it as a scam. He already paid his dues for 2019 (ha!) but he's not coming out of pocket for anything else he says so I hope I don't trip over any other landmines.

In my head, I want to think that if Disney exercises ROFR, they'll give the seller a car instead of cash (to keep with the original terms of sale). Just look outside one morning and there's a car in the driveway with mouse ears on it. "Oh, guess Disney took our contract."

Even if this isn't how it works, I'm choosing to believe it.

I'd be fine losing out on the contract if on the way to work I saw someone dropping off a Disney World Minnie Van in his driveway. I probably wouldn't get invited to dinner anymore though...

I'm gonna try it if I can figure out how to submit the ROFR. That is the blue book on the car for trade in value which is quite a bit lower than private seller value so I wouldn't think they'd see it as a scam. He already paid his dues for 2019 (ha!) but he's not coming out of pocket for anything else he says so I hope I don't trip over any other landmines.

I guess if it doesn't pass ROFR, he can pay you what Disney gave him for the car and then you can go buy another contract with the cash...

but what I really want to see is the ROFR thread updated with your details.

I'd think the private seller value would be more appropriate. That is what you would be doing if you instead sold it to purchase DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter