• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trading INTO DVC from II?

jenntish

Mouseketeer
Has anyone done this (who owns a timeshare outside of DVC)? I'm curious how this works? Is it easy/difficult/impossible to get a DVC property? How many 'points' do you need to get a 2 bedroom? We own at BCV & SSR, but was curious if this was a smart way to go if we wanted bigger accomodations (rather than adding on thru Disney). I'd love any info!

Has anyone done this (who owns a timeshare outside of DVC)? I'm curious how this works? Is it easy/difficult/impossible to get a DVC property? How many 'points' do you need to get a 2 bedroom? We own at BCV & SSR, but was curious if this was a smart way to go if we wanted bigger accomodations (rather than adding on thru Disney). I'd love any info!

I traded into BCV during Spring Break this past March and almost got OKW for Memorial Day (I was already booked for SB, so didn't take it)

With II you will need to exchange a 2bdrm, fairly highly rated unit to get a 2bedroom DVC exchange. With that being said, most of the exchanges showing up in II inventory are studios, then 1 bedroom units and only a comparatively few 2 bedroom units.

OKW and SSR show up most often. Slower times of the year are easier to get than holidays and school vacation times.

I wouldn't rely on II availability as my main access to DVC unless I could travel at any time, didn't care where I stayed, and was ok with a studio most of the time. (That's why we bought into DVC)

OTOH, If you travel to Disney occasionally and are flexible regarding when you travel, what resort and what size unit you may get, exchanging in may be a better option. (It's definitely cheaper)

Good Luck,
Mike

...can you get 2 studios at DVC? Not clear on how this works? I would assume you should be able to get SSR most of the year since it's so large!!!

We are going to BCV on an exchange July 15th...can't wait!!:yay:
I exchanged a Marriott 1 BR for BCV 1 BR, on line. Just keep checking II on line and many times the units you are looking for will show up there.

You can also call II, but I saw it on line and booked it.

So, we are going Sunday to Sunday as an II exchange, and adding to our 1 BR BCV with our points for the next 5 days. 12 wonderful days, coming up!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: Oh, you also have to pay a $95 fee to WDW.

June

We are going to BCV on an exchange July 15th...can't wait!!:yay:
I exchanged a Marriott 1 BR for BCV 1 BR, on line. Just keep checking II on line and many times the units you are looking for will show up there.

You can also call II, but I saw it on line and booked it.

So, we are going Sunday to Sunday as an II exchange, and adding to our 1 BR BCV with our points for the next 5 days. 12 wonderful days, coming up!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: Oh, you also have to pay a $95 fee to WDW.

June

Very nice trade for you! Have a great trip!

do you need to have a certain 'quality' to make an even exchange like that? So if I buy Wyndham, must I own at a "Gold Crown resort?" How far in advance can you book at DVC if you are trading with II or RCI? Can you trade into DVC with RCI???

do you need to have a certain 'quality' to make an even exchange like that? So if I buy Wyndham, must I own at a "Gold Crown resort?" How far in advance can you book at DVC if you are trading with II or RCI? Can you trade into DVC with RCI???

Disney trades with II.

DVC only trades through II. Most Wyndham resorts trade through RCI. A few exchange through II. I would only buy something else that I would want to use and possibly trade some. It's too risky to own something just for trading purposes only. There can be special assessments, etc., that come up with resorts.

DVC in II shows up mostly in the off season - think middle of September, middle of January. And then it most likely would be a studio or maybe a one bedroom. And there's not a tremendous amount of DVC that shows up in II. Think a small sprinkling here and there. I'm sure some are matched by ongoing requests, though, that never show up on line. I've heard of people buying Fairfield/Wyndham that trades through II to trade into DVC, but I wouldn't do it on that basis alone. I would want something that I could use beyond "potentially" trading into DVC to make it worth the risk of special assessments or potential trouble with where I am buying at. Plus, what if Disney stops trading in II? They might. Who knows the future? Then you'd be stuck if it was something you never wanted to use but for DVC.

By the time you pay dues on another timeshare ownership - say $500 to $700 a year, your II membership fee of $84.00 a year, a $139.00 trade fee, and then a $95.00 resort fee to Disney, if you're talking a DVC studio, you might as well rent points or own the DVC points. That adds up to anywhere from $800 to $1,000 in fees. Not to mention what it would cost to buy the property initially. A lot of trouble, money, and risk for an unsure thing. Heck, I could rent an OKW studio off the Dis boards for $800 for January for less trouble.

I will tell you something I did, though, that works pretty good for us. I bought a couple of "every other year" week timeshares that trade through II that lock off into 2 units (think studio and 1 bedroom and dues are $300 a year). I paid around $1,600 a piece for both of these timeshares with closing. One is an off season Marriott (that I am selling right now - if it goes through with the buyer and they don't back out on me). The main reason I wanted a regular II timeshare was to be able to join II and have access to their "getaway" weeks. I can pick up cash getaways for off season in II for $300 to $500 a week at 1 and 2 bedroom Marriotts in Orlando and Sheraton Vistana Villages. I wouldn't buy something just for trading, though - I would want more than just that. We have decided we only need one other timeshare to keep our II membership. DVC points and one little EOY (every other year) timeshare is enough for us.

Good luck.

It is actually easier to trade into Disney that many think. While most resorts are available for off season this is not completely the case. I've seen resorts for fourth of July Easter and Christmas. As a rule, most units available are one bedroom or smaller and the majority are at Saratoga Springs or Old key West. One does need a certain trade value and resort rating to be successful. I have stayed at a Disney vacation Club resort five times in last one and half years on exchanges, two of those were in a two bedroom and the rest a one bedroom. Other important factors including planning well ahead and understanding what's realistic to expect and what is not realistic. I think this is a wonderful approach for those that can travel off season and do with a one bedroom or smaller. It is not a good approach for higher demand times, higher demand resorts or Two bedroom units. Besides planning it does require a bit of commitment to learning the system and a bit of a gamblers mentality.

I am actually in the process of paring down my points Holdings with the intent of making most stays exchanges through interval.

For those in the know:

What would be the most reasonably priced resale (purchase and dues) for this purpose? I know read TUG.:rolleyes:

If someone could list some ideas anyway....please and thank you.:flower3: ....EOY as well?

I generally book my time using my DVC points... and also secure my Frequent Flyer tickets at the same time. Then... I start an II seach. If I get a unit within my cancellation window... then I will save my "expensive" DVC points.

In either case... I know that my vacation is locked in.

Note: As far as I can tell, this only works during the first part of your use year. I currently have another II search going for a specific week. I am not booking the week using my DVC points because it is at the end of my use year... and I would have a hard time using the points if I cancelled the reservation. In this case... if I get the II exchange... it will simply be an "extra vacation".

/Jim

I usually trade into DVC twice a year, once with a week I own and once with an Accomodation Certificate I get for depositing my week. I used to be able to get just about any timeframe I wanted but in the last couple of years, we've decided we don't want to stay in studios any longer and 1 and 2 BR are much harder to come by. We have gotten 1 BR at BCV and BWV and 2 BR at OKW and SSR.

We're retired so we can go pretty much anytime we want. I still use by DVC points to get the exact dates and location that we want.

June

I generally book my time using my DVC points... and also secure my Frequent Flyer tickets at the same time. Then... I start an II seach. If I get a unit within my cancellation window... then I will save my "expensive" DVC points.

In either case... I know that my vacation is locked in.

Note: As far as I can tell, this only works during the first part of your use year. I currently have another II search going for a specific week. I am not booking the week using my DVC points because it is at the end of my use year... and I would have a hard time using the points if I cancelled the reservation. In this case... if I get the II exchange... it will simply be an "extra vacation".

/Jim
This is a good approach both for those who want to trade in and those who want to trade out of the Disney vacation Club. I've used this option many times with trades including booking a hotel or cancelable condo rental.

For those in the know:

What would be the most reasonably priced resale (purchase and dues) for this purpose? I know read TUG.:rolleyes:

If someone could list some ideas anyway....please and thank you.:flower3: ....EOY as well?
There is no one good answer for that question. As I stated earlier, I feel one needs to be able to use a one bedroom, be flexible and travel off season particularly January, February, March, May, September, and early December. One does need a higher rated resort or system generally this will be a five star resort. I would recommend someone getting something they can use part of the time, especially those that are new to the general time share world. I also think that getting an option that will generate a bonus week with interval has value for this situation since the times you can trade in you can likely use a bonus week. The options that will work are numerous and no one person could know all of them. I particularly like some of the points options because of their inherent flexibility and relatively low price. While I know less about them, the ones that have reduced points costs inside the 60-day window are especially intriguing for this option. I believe Worldmark and Starwood both that that bill. I also liked the Bluegreen system for this option due to it's flexibility and low cost as reservation priorities. Likely an even better companion ownership for members is a good trading Marriott. Especially for one that will trade well within Marriott, functions as a lock off, has modest buy in and yearly costs. That's especially true because I
find Disney vacation Club members are somewhat more selective in the resorts they will accept than many other time share owners are.

A couple of words of caution. The more flexible a given option is the larger the commitment to learning it well. One also needs to explore up front to figure out exactly what's best for them. The truth this, if every one does the same thing, it will not work anymore.

What is a good trading Marriott option? Do some trade better internally than externally ?

I believe Worldmark and Starwood both that that bill. I also liked the Bluegreen system for this option due to it's flexibility and low cost as reservation priorities. Likely an even better companion ownership for members is a good trading Marriott. Especially for one that will trade well within Marriott, functions as a lock off, has modest buy in and yearly costs.

Thank you Dean. Does buying resale affect any of these purchases? Ie. Is it Marriott that does not offer the same flexibility if resale? One of them does not offer "points" option to resale purchasers. Marriott?

Likely an even better companion ownership for members is a good trading Marriott. Especially for one that will trade well within Marriott, functions as a lock off, has modest buy in and yearly costs.

Can you share which locations these would be.

What is a good trading Marriott option? Do some trade better internally than externally ?

There are a number of sites much better suited to discussion and education about non-DVC timeshares.

You might want ot visit (and join) Timeshare Users Group (TUG) at www.tug2.net for starters.

Questions about buying other timeshares are not really appropriate for this site.

By the time you pay dues on another timeshare ownership - say $500 to $700 a year, your II membership fee of $84.00 a year, a $139.00 trade fee, and then a $95.00 resort fee to Disney, if you're talking a DVC studio, you might as well rent points or own the DVC points. That adds up to anywhere from $800 to $1,000 in fees. Not to mention what it would cost to buy the property initially. A lot of trouble, money, and risk for an unsure thing. Heck, I could rent an OKW studio off the Dis boards for $800 for January for less trouble.

I will tell you something I did, though, that works pretty good for us. I bought a couple of "every other year" week timeshares that trade through II that lock off into 2 units (think studio and 1 bedroom and dues are $300 a year). I paid around $1,600 a piece for both of these timeshares with closing. One is an off season Marriott (that I am selling right now - if it goes through with the buyer and they don't back out on me). The main reason I wanted a regular II timeshare was to be able to join II and have access to their "getaway" weeks. I can pick up cash getaways for off season in II for $300 to $500 a week at 1 and 2 bedroom Marriotts in Orlando and Sheraton Vistana Villages. I wouldn't buy something just for trading, though - I would want more than just that. We have decided we only need one other timeshare to keep our II membership. DVC points and one little EOY (every other year) timeshare is enough for us.

Good luck.

Thank you for this advice littlestar. Appreciate the information and perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter