Traditional reservations versus renting DVC points

There are ways to reduce risk when renting:
1) your employer or the social committee might offer some kind of classified ads board. Ask if there is a dvc member willing to rent points, you might get lucky and be able to rent from someone you know and trust. I am a dvc owner and ended up renting points this way to a friend and colleague.
2) buy a small dvc contract (25 or 50 pts), and then do a point transfer every year (and skip years if you like). Once the points are transferred they are yours and you control the reservation.

Thanks for all the great info! We usually stay at the deluxe resorts and I am just learning about renting points and think that it sounds like a great way to save! I've gotten a quote for some of the resorts and was trying to figure out which one to go with (for March '13) and was wondering if I need to jump on one before they disappear? Do they go pretty quick?

Think of renting as being comparable to Priceline, etc. You are getting a great rate but with restrictions.

I'll add one more pro that is not listed.

No charge for extra adults in the room.

I can have 3-4 adults in a studio and there isn't an extra nightly fee for them. Yes, it can be a bit crowded but you would also be crowded if you were sharing a regular hotel room.

BTW, this applies to cash reservations as well but if I'm going to crowd into a room with my adult daughter and niece, I want the best possible price I can get. I was able to rent points from my brother for less than what a moderate room would have cost me once I added in the extra adult charge.

The towels/trash & tidy can be an issue for some people. My daughter is not a fan of "no maid service". But I find it to be a small trade-off for what you get for your money. When we stayed with my brother and his kids in a 2-bedroom this summer, we ended up laundering our own towels right there is the unit. My nephew is a bit of a towel hog. He would shower 2-3 times a day, grabbing a fresh towel each time. We made him do the laundry.

The only other thing I can add it that DVC slow time and regular resort reservations do not necessarily match up. DVC should be almost full all year long.

Denise in MI

The only other thing I can add it that DVC slow time and regular resort reservations do not necessarily match up. DVC should be almost full all year long.

Denise in MI
Exactly! So, if you're thinking that you'll rent points now for WL at Christmas season or get an AKV value studio (the lowest number of points per night) for November of this year, you're probably out of luck. Renting works best if you have the money to pay now for a vacation that you're not taking for 7 or more months away. Not everyone can swing that.

If you want AKV concierge, you pretty much need to rent from an AKV owner and make contact with them more than 11 months before you want to stay there. There are only a handful of concierge rooms at AKV and they go quickly; especially the studios.

However, if you are extremely flexible with your resort and can wait until the last minute to make your arrangements, you can almost always rent distressed points for around $8 each for a stay at SSR.

And one caveat: once you've stayed in a DVC unit, you're not going to want to go back to staying in a regular resort room. You'll get the DVC bug and begin looking into buying from Disney or at what's available on the resale market. It's a clever trap.

Question: If you rent points and are not happy with your room location at check-in, and assuming there are other rooms available during your stay, is it possible to get one's room changed? Or are the room locations locked in when the booking is made?

This is one of the possible cons that's always prevented me from booking this way, since the room is an extremely important part of the stay for me, as we spend a lot of time there and also use the balcony a lot.

Thanks!

Question: If you rent points and are not happy with your room location at check-in, and assuming there are other rooms available during your stay, is it possible to get one's room changed? Or are the room locations locked in when the booking is made?

This is one of the possible cons that's always prevented me from booking this way, since the room is an extremely important part of the stay for me, as we spend a lot of time there and also use the balcony a lot.

Thanks!

Thru DVC you will get the category selected, you wont get a 'free upgrade' to a different view or whatever.. If you want a svannah view for example, make sure you book it, you wont be able to 'ask' for it at check in..

Thru DVC you will get the category selected, you wont get a 'free upgrade' to a different view or whatever.. If you want a svannah view for example, make sure you book it, you wont be able to 'ask' for it at check in..

I guess I wasn't totally clear in my post. I wasn't referring to an upgrade or a different category of room. But sometimes one gets assigned a room (and I'm not talking about DVC, because I have no experience with that--I'm talking about a regular room reservation) that isn't what one was hoping for--maybe it's on a high floor and one was hoping for a low floor, for example. I realize that sometimes there's nothing that can be done about this even with a regular room ressie, since the resort could be booked solid, however, sometimes there is something that can be done about it. I know, because I've requested to have a different room and have had my request accommodated many times--not an upgrade, just a different room location in the room category that I'd booked.

Hope that's a bit clearer, and thanks for the reply.

Yes, you can request a different location in the same room category at check in.. Again, as in a normal resort, it is a REQUEST and may not be fulfilled. There will be no refunds / no discounts etc etc.. If that's the only room or they say nothing else available that's it. Just be friendly and sweet if you do have an issue, and hope for the best..
:thumbsup2

I just returned from my trip where I rented DVC points through a broker. Like a PP said, I am hooked and I doubt I will stay in a traditional hotel resort at WDW again. DH has mentioned looking for a small resale DVC contract, but that is at least two years down the road for us.

Regarding room requests, I did early check-in and my original room assignment was exactly the opposite of my requests. The CM at check-in was able to switch me to a room that met all of my requests.

Yes, you can request a different location in the same room category at check in.. Again, as in a normal resort, it is a REQUEST and may not be fulfilled. There will be no refunds / no discounts etc etc.. If that's the only room or they say nothing else available that's it. Just be friendly and sweet if you do have an issue, and hope for the best..

Thanks!

I just returned from my trip where I rented DVC points through a broker. Like a PP said, I am hooked and I doubt I will stay in a traditional hotel resort at WDW again. DH has mentioned looking for a small resale DVC contract, but that is at least two years down the road for us.

Regarding room requests, I did early check-in and my original room assignment was exactly the opposite of my requests. The CM at check-in was able to switch me to a room that met all of my requests.

Thanks so much for this info. Very helpful.

....The towels/trash & tidy can be an issue for some people. ....

For the record, if you stay seven nights or less, you get your trash removed and towels replaced on day four. You don't get any "tidy". If you stay eight nights or more, you get a full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel service on day eight. Day one is check in day.

If you request a change after you accept your room you may have to pay for a room change assignment. Otherwords if you find you do not like your room location after using it they will charge a cleaning fee to clean the room you did not like.

Densie in MI

Don't want to hijack this thread but I am also looking at possibly renting on our next trip...would you mind sharing who the broker was that you used? If you prefer to PM me with that, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking at a few and am not quite sure who to go with.

I own DVC but have rented a handful of times for myself and my traveling companions from private parties (through the DVC Rent/Trade Board). I have never had an issue and they all were great to work with! I just got back yesterday from a 4 night stay in a standard view studio at the Boardwalk where we rented points. The owner made the reservation, provided me the confirmation number (so I could check it online) and made my Magical Express arrangements. I understand concerns because you’re relying on the trustworthiness of a DVC member, but the cost savings is worth the risk, IMHO!

For the record, if you stay seven nights or less, you get your trash removed and towels replaced on day four. You don't get any "tidy". If you stay eight nights or more, you get a full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towel service on day eight. Day one is check in day.
You're right. The term "tidy" is misleading because they don't do much more than replace the towels and toiletries. They don't wipe down counters, clean the floors or make the beds. Nothing that I would consider "tidying up" a room would include. And for some people, the lack of that kind of regular housekeeping is a big negative for DVC stays.

Thanks!

we often donot accept the room offered us on cash stays. so I know what you mean.

when we rented points for beach club, we had requested pool view. they gave us courtyard view..

when we said that we were willing to WAIT for pool view, they gave it to us.

we have often found you have a better chance of getting a room you want if you are willing to wait.

I rented points through David's for my next trip. The savings was the biggest thing. We cut the price of our trip in half by renting points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter