• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trails End?

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any recent visits to Trails End and can tell me, good or bad, about the place? Food, service, atmosphere, etc?

We just switched our 9/9/14 ADR from Ohana (based on recent changes and construction) to The Wave. But there's open ADRs available at Trails End too and we've never set foot in the place. Always wondered about it though.

Also wondering if being able to wander around that section of FW would be fun after dinner, adding to the draw to go there.

Really disappointed in Ohana changing and just kind of floundering around, not knowing what to do with most ADR's for this day/time taken up!!! :confused:

Anyone have any recent visits to Trails End and can tell me, good or bad, about the place? Food, service, atmosphere, etc?

We just switched our 9/9/14 ADR from Ohana (based on recent changes and construction) to The Wave. But there's open ADRs available at Trails End too and we've never set foot in the place. Always wondered about it though.

Also wondering if being able to wander around that section of FW would be fun after dinner, adding to the draw to go there.

Really disappointed in Ohana changing and just kind of floundering around, not knowing what to do with most ADR's for this day/time taken up!!! :confused:

We've eaten two dinners and two breakfasts there. Food is quite good, very fresh. I have a slight preference for breakfast, but both are good. Breakfast is very good value. Dinner is still cheap for a disney buffet relatively speaking. Service is good. You can get 10% off with a disney visa card. If you've never been to fort wilderness before, it can be a fun area to explore.

We ate there twice in June. My husband was super excited because they have real sweet tea there. It had our favorite comfort foods, the service was great, and it wasn't crowded or loud. Food was hot and fresh. We didn't like the BBQ or the ribs, but loved everything else.

We love Trail's End, and always make it a must-do for all our trips. We have reservations for our upcoming trip in October. We used to camp in the Ft. Wilderness many years ago, and always loved it there. If your there during Halloween or Christmas, it's always fun to walk around the campground to see the decorations. People really go all out.

We have a big group going in November and couldn't get into Ohana. I ended up booking Trail's End and from my research I'm really looking forward to trying it. The reviews all seem to be good, especially about the fried chicken (80% of the people seem to mention it!). Also, the chip and dale cowboy campfire sing along is in the evening so we timed dinner to end around when that starts. It is an added bonus to take the kids outside for some free entertainment.

It seems like one of those places that is nicely overlooked but not too empty, which usually keeps the waits down and the servers extra attentive.

We have eaten there a few times, with the latest being in January. We REALLY like it. The food is simple, but good, and fresh and the staff is so kind and helpful. Our little guy ate better here than anywhere else the whole week. Last trip it was not in our plans and we just needed a couple hours out of MK late evening when we wanted to stay for night activities. I used my phone app and made an reservation and we took the boat over. Such a nice ride and it gave us the break we needed. Total time out of the park was about 2 hours.

Our Ratings of Trails End for Breakfast-Dinner: (*rev 06/19/2014*)
. . . food price value: B-B
. . . food quality: B-C
. . . food quantity: A-A
. . . food prep speed: A-A
. . . food selection: C-B
. . . seating quantity: C-C
. . . seating comfort: C-C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B-B
. . . eatery convenience: D-D
. . . staff friendliness: B-B
. . . staff attentiveness: C-B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE1: Above include breakfast-dinner (we don't like the lunch), it has tasty comfort
food. We like the buffets as dining alternatives, as they are reasonably priced for Disney
meals. Lunch is far behind in quality and value. In Spring-2011, they changed lunch menus
to ala carte and we recommend it only for a light midday meal. We think the lunch food
is a little overpriced and only average in food quality. For dinner, taste the yummy fried
chicken and "make-your-own-potato" bar. For breakfast, you REALLY, REALLY, NEED the
sticky buns. The nice thing about breakfast, might be the low crowds, as many campers
prepare breakfast at the campsite. Trail's End Breakfast Buffet is the second best buffet,
behind The Wave breakfast buffet at Contemporary for quality, and the best in price value.
A point to remember is that the majority of the Trails End customers are from the camp
ground, so they prices are reasonable and the items are good comfort food.

NOTE2: Trails End is out-of-the-way for most WDW guests. It takes about 20-min for
the boat from MK-to-FW, about 10-minutes for the boat from WL-to-FW, about 15-min
for the boat from CR-to-FW (excluding the waiting times for the next boat).

I haven't been there, yet, but we have an ADR in September. It wasn't even on my radar but after reading posts about it I'm super excited now! I love the campy theme and mason jar glasses. And the food sounds delicious. We're going on a MK day to get out of the parks and explore FW.

Glad to hear some positive things.

We just booked in December. Never been there and looking forward to trying it out. Hoping we get a nice evening and take the boat launch from MK and explore around that area a bit.

All I can say is Trails End took our family by surprise. We never expected the buffet to be so good. We went there for dinner at 5pm, and the food was hot, fresh, and delicious, and the service was outstanding. We arrived at Fort Wilderness early, and we were able to visit the general store, play a game of checkers on the porch, and relax in the rocking chairs. There is also a little playground nearby for the kiddies. We plan on making Trails End one of our vacation traditions. :goodvibes

Thanks everyone for you insightful feedback and rusty scupper for including the travel times by boat. It's been a number yrs since we've taken that particular boat route. Sounds like Trails End is a hidden gem!

We are staying at AKL, but We are going to make a day of it by visiting Wilderness lodge and the Campground. We are going to Trails End before the campfire. We are doing takeout of the fried chicken dinners and having a picnic. A meal with 2 pieces of chicken, 2 sides and biscuit is only around $10.50. Then watching the Electric Water Parade!

We are eating for both breakfast and dinner. This is the one dinner that I am not allowed to cancel. My daughter wants fried chicken.

We love Trail's End!! When we went in 2012, our kids did the pony ride before dinner, and we did the campfire afterwards. Such a fun evening!!

We ate an early dinner there last night. It was great, with exceptional service. It was starting to fill up as we left. We had a later ADR, but arrived early and they gladly accommodated us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter