Training Schedule

nezy

DIS Veteran
I am considering doing the dark side half marathon on april however in looking at the suggested training schedule it looks like I am way behind if I start now. It is already 9 weeks in. I am a beginner runner so I am wondering:
1. If it is too late to start training and if I can even get myself up to the half marathon pacing rate
2.If I can start now, how do I adjust the training program schedule posted by jeff galloway on runDisney?

In reading the posts of so many runners here I admit it is intimidating.
I am more a fast walker than a runner...am I biting off too much?

Thanks.
Noreen

Hmmm... first, I'd say to take a look at this thread that has other options for training programs: http://www.disboards.com/threads/training-plans-and-terminology-a-newbies-guide-to-running.3545529/

My first half I used something more like a blend between these two programs:
1) 12-week program: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
2) 10-week program: http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

IF you felt comfortable following one of these, you'd be 2 weeks behind or just about right on time.

Now, when I followed a blend of these I was able to comfortably run a 5K... running 3mi stretches on a semi-regular basis.

So much depends on general health, how much you are running now, etc. AND I AM NO DOCTOR!!! Just wanted to mention that there ARE other paths to a first half than these very long training programs.

Frankly, I wouldn't do a Half that soon as a beginning runner. I started running about a year ago and the biggest mistake I made was trying to rapidly ramp up training this fall after taking it slow and steady and feeling good all spring and summer. (My first actual racing 5K was about six weeks in and my first 10K was five months in. Second 10K was seven months in.) As soon as I ramped up I started getting injured, which set me back even further when I had to take breaks from training to heal. You might get lucky (if you're already in great shape, do lots of cross training and stretching, etc), but pushing too fast too soon is typically a guaranteed recipe for injury.

If you're set on doing Dark Side, maybe sign up for the 10K, or the 5K and 10K if you want a mini challenge. If they are sold out through rD, you can likely find a bib through a charity or travel package, or raw threads run club.

I am considering doing the dark side half marathon on april however in looking at the suggested training schedule it looks like I am way behind if I start now.

I'm a fairly new runner, but I did Light Side in January and I'm planning on doing Dark Side, too. So, take my advice with the appropriate amount of salt.

Looking at the calendar, today is 10 weeks out from Darkside. So, that's exactly how long you have to get yourself in shape. The real question is where are you at today. Can you comfortably do a 10K now within the required pace (16 minutes/ mile). If so, then you could probably get there, with a lot of hard work. If a 10K (6.2 miles) seems daunting at this point, then the half might not be a wise choice.

1. If it is too late to start training and if I can even get myself up to the half marathon pacing rate
If you're starting from not running at all, you're probably too late. A couch to 5K is normally 9-ish weeks. Again, it depends upon your base. Look at the training plans and compare it to the exercise you've already been doing. If it turns out your exercise schedule is comparable to the existing weeks of the plan you're considering, then you're probably safe. If not, well, the gradual build up is there for a reason. Diving in at week 9 without having built to it is really asking for injury.

2.If I can start now, how do I adjust the training program schedule posted by jeff galloway on runDisney?
MickeyMinnieMom is totally on point with her suggestions here. The Higdon novice plan is a great approach.

I am considering doing the dark side half marathon on april however in looking at the suggested training schedule it looks like I am way behind if I start now. It is already 9 weeks in. I am a beginner runner so I am wondering:

In reading the posts of so many runners here I admit it is intimidating.
I am more a fast walker than a runner...am I biting off too much?

Thanks.
Noreen

Concur with others that it really depends on where you're currently at fitness wise (from a pace, distance, and ability to run continuously or run/walk standpoint). What are some of the recent training runs you've completed? How did they feel when you did them (out of breath, sore muscles, pace was faster in beginning and slower at end, etc.)?

I also love the Hal Higdon beginner plan. When I first started running I used the Couch to 5k training schedule and my first 5k in May. I did my first 1/2 5 months after that. As the other posters have stated, it really depends on what your fitness level currently is. What is the longest distance you've walked/run?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter