Training- What did you learn the hard way? What would YOU put in a training program?

Is there enough hydration on the course? Do you bring more? What about nuun or electrolyte drinks?
Depends on how much you need. I personally don't bring more but I have friends who like to carry their camelbak hydration packs on course. I also am not generally a nuun or electrolyte drinker but at Disney they usually have Poweraid in addition to water at every water station. Looking at last year's Avenger's half course (this year's may differ) they have about 8 water stations which for me is definitely enough. You can see the positioning from last year below. All the light blue drops are water. The red crosses are medical/aid stations.
Avengers_Half_Marathon_Course_2015.jpg

Edit: Also answered some questions directed at others. I will fuel between 1-4 times during a race depending on how I'm feeling. My body seems to process the fuel fast enough that I can take it when I start to feel meh to prevent bonking.

I also will echo everyone else about the stroller. I'm not sure I could make it 9.5 miles without my back killing me.

With regards to foot problems, I never had any major ones. I usually just make sure I have shoes that I am fitted for. You can get fitted at most running stores.

I did Galloway for my first half (a Disney half) and I felt it prepared me well with regards to the distance however weather where I live is very different from Florida weather so I struggled with that. Luckily California should be wonderful for your race (biggest issue could be if the Santa Ana winds come in but you can always add more layers) but I also like Hidgon. I think as long as you're on a training plan you can commit the time and energy to and stick with it both will adequately prepare you.

Last edited:
Depends on how much you need. I personally don't bring more but I have friends who like to carry their camelbak hydration packs on course. I also am not generally a nuun or electrolyte drinker but at Disney they usually have Poweraid in addition to water at every water station. Looking at last year's Avenger's half course (this year's may differ) they have about 8 water stations which for me is definitely enough. You can see the positioning from last year below. All the light blue drops are water. The red crosses are medical/aid stations.
Avengers_Half_Marathon_Course_2015.jpg

I would also watch for the course map and make sure that's the first thing you look at.

Disneyland Half this year dropped both med tables (dumb) and hydration stations (dumber) compared to the Tink course in May and last year's half course.

If I were a betting gal (hey, I am!) - that hydration stop after Mile 1 will be missing this year, along with maybe one other throughout the course.

I did email the race director about how I felt it was irresponsible to cut back on such essential course support items this year and he said he would definitely revisit my concerns for Avengers and next year's races, so there's that ...

I did email the race director about how I felt it was irresponsible to cut back on such essential course support items this year and he said he would definitely revisit my concerns for Avengers and next year's races, so there's that ...
I will admit I'm kind of borderline about there being only eight water stations. The least I've done is three during a local 10 miler and that was less than ideal but it had a trailing ambulance in case things got rough. To see a large scale race such as Disney skimp on water and other aid stations is definitely irresponsible.

I will admit I'm kind of borderline about there being only eight water stations. The least I've done is three during a local 10 miler and that was less than ideal but it had a trailing ambulance in case things got rough. To see a large scale race such as Disney skimp on water and other aid stations is definitely irresponsible.

The 10K at Disneyland this year was the most irresponsibly planned course I've seen in my life. Only one med table ... at Mile 5.5 What's the point? Like, you basically were done with the race! And the first water station wasn't until 2.5. Worst Disney race I've done by far. I ran with a tube of BioFreeze in my pocket during the half next day.

Sorry to threadjack, OP - but there are also things to keep in mind as your training progresses so you can adapt come race day!

I hope this doesn't come across as mean or even too tough-lovey ... but we can all say what works best for us (other than the 8 miles max training miles for your first half marathon - just for mental sake, you need more miles than that), but you really can't find any answers until you get out there and try things for yourself.

Not at all. I'm looking for all this different type of information. Since I'm new and just getting started in research- everything is beneficial. What hydration belt do you like? Does it also have a place for fuel and phone?

I'm strictly walking. I love walking and have walked quite a few 5Ks and 10Ks. I'm nervous about my pacing, which has always been a 15 minute mile when racing, but I've been training at a bit of a slower pace as it's been hot and I've been pushing that stroller. I'm hoping that it will cool down a bit and I can get in some more paced walks. My goal is to not get swept or get in anyone else's way. I'm not going to be stopping for pictures, but I heard there will be other opportunities to take pictures afterwards and that makes me happy.

What I feel like is lacking in pretty much all the training programs I have read are the other important aspects of training for a half marathon- like strength training recommendations or suggestions on how and when to fuel. I'm SUCH a novice. I did that entire 9.5 miles in 90 degree heat with a single 100 calorieish granola bar, because I just didn't know better. And since I'm walking... I was out for nearly 3 hours. It's just a learning experience for me. At least I'm trying to figure things out before getting injured or unwell.

And a good chunk of it is just mental for me. I'm JUST a walker, so I shouldn't need that much fuel. I'm JUST a walker, so this shouldn't be so hard. I'm JUST a walker, so I don't need a fancy bra. I need to get over that.

Not at all. I'm looking for all this different type of information. Since I'm new and just getting started in research- everything is beneficial. What hydration belt do you like? Does it also have a place for fuel and phone?

I have an Adalid belt that I got on Amazon.com for like $16. I like that it has a flat neoprene pouch with two sections (can hold fuel, a phone, important cards, etc.) and an adjustable thinner waistband. I also can add bottles to it if I need to. I've basically Frankenstein'd it into being the ideal hydration belt! :D

I'm strictly walking. I love walking and have walked quite a few 5Ks and 10Ks. I'm nervous about my pacing, which has always been a 15 minute mile when racing, but I've been training at a bit of a slower pace as it's been hot and I've been pushing that stroller. I'm hoping that it will cool down a bit and I can get in some more paced walks. My goal is to not get swept or get in anyone else's way. I'm not going to be stopping for pictures, but I heard there will be other opportunities to take pictures afterwards and that makes me happy.

The adage is that you train in summer, PR in the Fall - so the conditioning ALONE you're gaining from your training runs right now will definitely help. Plus, race-day adrenaline and all of that.

What I feel like is lacking in pretty much all the training programs I have read are the other important aspects of training for a half marathon- like strength training recommendations or suggestions on how and when to fuel. I'm SUCH a novice. I did that entire 9.5 miles in 90 degree heat with a single 100 calorieish granola bar, because I just didn't know better. And since I'm walking... I was out for nearly 3 hours. It's just a learning experience for me. At least I'm trying to figure things out before getting injured or unwell.

How did you feel AFTER you finished the 9.5 miles? Other than hot, were you hungry? Fatigued? Did you take a water bottle with you? What did you eat before you went out for the 9.5 miles?

Most fuel sources will say you need to consume fuel every 30-45 minutes ... which, to ME feels excessive and has always ended up with me having a stomach ache because of too much non-food fuel. I try to choke down some real food before a run (peanut butter crackers, Uncrustable sandwich, something) and then pop some chews every three miles or so just to keep my energy up unless I start feeling like I'm going into decline. The crap thing is - if you're starting to feel the decline, you're usually already in it so the chews aren't really working to their full potential.

At Disney races, at Mile 9ish they give out free Gu Shots. These are gels. I think they're the worst thing on the planet, but people love them. They come in a bunch of flavors - try one out and see if you like it! If so, that's one less thing you have to carry with you for a fuel source and you can plan for that at Mile 9.

And a good chunk of it is just mental for me. I'm JUST a walker, so I shouldn't need that much fuel. I'm JUST a walker, so this shouldn't be so hard. I'm JUST a walker, so I don't need a fancy bra. I need to get over that.

First thing you've GOT to do - eliminate JUST from your running vocabulary and overall mindset. That goes a long way!

How did you feel AFTER you finished the 9.5 miles? Other than hot, were you hungry? Fatigued? Did you take a water bottle with you? What did you eat before you went out for the 9.5 miles?

Oh! I'm also coming from Colorado Springs at a pretty high altitude, so I'm hoping sea level is my friend!

DURING the last 2.5 miles? I felt totally spent. AFTER? Hm. I felt okay. We went to lunch right after and then proceeded to have a nice day. I had two water bottles with me. And I had eggs and watermelon before going out.

3 hours walking in 90 degrees pushing a stroller is nothing to sneeze at.

Doesn't matter if you walk or run - as long as you train to complete the distance (which you are), you have the respect of, I'm sure, everyone here. :)

For the it band and plantar issues. First thing is you need to stretch. If you don't have a foam roller there are it band stretches you can do without. You can freeze a not full water bottle to roll your feet on to stretch it or buy something. But you have to put pressure on it so you feel it.

Also, get fitted at a running store and get arch supports. I have high arches and have plantar issues regardless, especially when I don't stretch. I try and stretch each night before bed regardless of what I've done that way. My legs have always been tight, I've never been able to touch my toes, so stretching is important for me.

Oh! I'm also coming from Colorado Springs at a pretty high altitude, so I'm hoping sea level is my friend!

DURING the last 2.5 miles? I felt totally spent. AFTER? Hm. I felt okay. We went to lunch right after and then proceeded to have a nice day. I had two water bottles with me. And I had eggs and watermelon before going out.

Cool - so it sounds like you have an idea of what your hydration needs will be. That's definitely helpful. You could try a bottle of water and a bottle of something like Gatorade or something with electrolytes if you wanted to mix it up - I tend to prefer electrolytes over straight-up water, mostly because I want water to be ice cold and you won't find that on a race course. The Powerade is generally more refreshing to me (have I mentioned that I'm weird?), so that's what I usually go with.

Struggling in the last 2.5 miles is not uncommon - for this run, this was your "Wall"! But you pushed through it, finished out and it wasn't a detriment to you for the rest of the day. I've had some runs that have gone terribly and it just ruins the rest of the day/weekend, which is the worst.

So, I would say your next long run, experiment with a couple of granola bars (or anything that's higher in carbs and sodium that you might like - I would run with french fries if I could physically manage it) at different milestones of the long run - like Miles 3, 6 and 8 - and see how that works.

For the it band and plantar issues. First thing is you need to stretch. If you don't have a foam roller there are it band stretches you can do without. You can freeze a not full water bottle to roll your feet on to stretch it or buy something. But you have to put pressure on it so you feel it.

A tennis ball also works in a pinch.

Don't worry about not knowing these things, most of us didn't when we started running (or walking). It's something you pick up overtime usually through trial and error.

If you are at a 15min mile you should be okay. Avengers should (of course mother nature doesn't always agree) be great for that. It'll be November which I find to be wonderful weather in California. Like @Keels said, train in the summer PR in the fall. By building up your stamina walking longer distances regularly you should see a slight increase in speed once you're on the course without the stroller and the heat. And coming from Colorado Springs should make sea level your friend.

Feeling spent just after physical activity is okay. It sounds like you did well bouncing back and going about your day. Seems totally normal. I will say that whatever works for you in training is a good thing to use and also to make sure you eat a meal that shouldn't give you digestion issues. After I finished the Tink Half my GI tract was wrecked because I ate ice cream (a rare treat for me) the night before and it just wasn't having it.

With regards to not getting in anyone's way. You should be good stay to the right and pass on the left while most runners will be polite you might run into a few sour pusses. That's totally normal and you should go back to basking in the Disney glow ASAP. Photos are fun but I've only ever gotten them (aside from quick selfies at mile markers) before and after the race.

You all are making me feel so much more confident. During those last 2.5 miles, I was pondering... "What was I thinking?! Can I really do this?!" As I've never done this before, I didn't know it was normal to struggle and that it is okay to feel that way.

I will do some googling and searching, but if you have a moment- would anyone share the pros and cons of going past 12 miles in a training "run." I like the idea of doing a 14 mile walk so that on race day I can feel like... "Hey- I've done even more than this!" but is it maybe too much for the body?

I will do some googling and searching, but if you have a moment- would anyone share the pros and cons of going past 12 miles in a training "run." I like the idea of doing a 14 mile walk so that on race day I can feel like... "Hey- I've done even more than this!" but is it maybe too much for the body?

The only pro that I can think of is exactly what you said... for the mental benefit that you can do it. That being said, I would highly recommend not doing it for your first half marathon. At a 15 min pace, that would be three and a half hours of activity. In my mind, the possibility of having a bad day or injury are too high for the possible benefit if everything goes perfectly. I would instead gear up your mileage to reach the 13 miles on race day (like most beginner plans lay out). For your first half, I would suggest using a tried and true method. Then, as you get a few races under your belt, you will start to figure out what does and doesn't work for you, and you can adjust the training plans accordingly.

I agree that >12 mi for your first half is not necessary. I ran about 14.5mi in humid conditions without water and seriously almost passed out. It didn't help me with my first half. It can set you up for injury if you're not careful. I was talking to a runner who said she had been doing 25 mile training runs for her first marathon and by the time her marathon came up, her body was completely broken. The next marathon, she ran 16 miles max and shaved 1 hour off her record (and BQ'd!).

I also agree that core exercises are pretty important, at least for me. Also, identifying weak spots (for example, my glutes and hips) and strengthening them have helped immensely with injuries.

I also agree that there's not 1 training plan that fits all. Find one that works with your schedule and with your current fitness. Don't try to do too much too fast.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with with just about everything in this post. Running is very individual and how each person's body reacts to will be a little different.

Less training is not better. The right amount of training is better. That's why so many plans are set up to provide running/walking bases for people to get through the races. Train too little and you will have a hard time completing the distance. Train too much and you run the risk of injury through over training. An established training plan will use a progressive increase in mileage to get you ready for a race while managing the increased load on your body.

Cross training can be beneficial, no doubt about it, it can help reduce some of the injury risk factors depending on what type of cross training you choose. I would not call it "essential", though. You "may" end up with overuse injuries if you train the same way too often, but once again this will depend on you and your fitness level. I'm sorry you issues with PF and IT band issues, but one individual's results do not render it essential for all.

For a half marathon, most training plans that I am familiar with will take you out to 10 or 12 mile long runs/walks before you hit race day. You may well be able to do the half based on an 8 mile maximum. I ran my first marathon based on a maximum training run of 13.1 miles (don't recommend it, btw). What the extra mileage will do, though, is better prepare your legs and body for the stresses of race day and provide a mental assurance that you can do the distance (or at least close enough). I know folks that mentally need a training run in excess of the race mileage to feel confident in their ability to cover the distance. Most importantly, though, if you can get those longer training runs in and acclimate your body and legs to something closer to race distance in advance you should not be hurting at the end of it. I'd personally rather put in a little more training mileage, time permitting, and have a pleasant race day experience that I could enjoy without the race leaving me hurting.

How can you disagree with MY experience, and what *I* learned?

That is what the OP asked for...what WE learned from OUR experience.

And I didn't mean "less training" is better as in you hardly have to train. I meant 3 days a week is sufficient to train for a half marathon IF you start early enough.

How can you disagree with MY experience, and what *I* learned?

That is what the OP asked for...what WE learned from OUR experience.

And I didn't mean "less training" is better as in you hardly have to train. I meant 3 days a week is sufficient to train for a half marathon IF you start early enough.

I can disagree because you did not represent your post as the outcome of your experiences, but as absolutes. What is great about this site is the ability of folks to share their experiences and advice, but that is undermined when opinions are stated as absolutes.

Whether you meant it that way or not, your statement was "less training is better". You then went on to state that the OP "will" be injured if she didn't follow your advice about cross training. You also stated that there is "no" reason for a long run of more than 8 miles prior to a half marathon. I don't think any of these are factual absolutes.

If you intended solely to relay your experiences and opinions, so be it. However, that is not what you did and I thought it was important to present alternatives.

Here's my experience. In 2011, I did no cross training whatsoever. I just put in most of the runs under the Galloway plan. I finished the race just fine, but made no stops whatsoever in 3:05. In 2012, I incorporated cross training into my training and continued to follow the Galloway plan. I finished the race in 3:06 with an unplanned bathroom break and two character stops totaling about 10 minutes between the two. Yes, confidence helps, but I did not train any faster than the previous year. The only difference was the cross training. I believe the improved physical strength especially in my back and core helped me to essentially earn back most of my "lost" time from the year before.

I have since completed both Rebel Challenge events running 3 days a week except for the back to back sessions tied to the Rebel Challenge. 3 days a week is sufficient. The long run on the weekends helps gradually increase your endurance level and the 2 runs during the week maintain your most recent long run.

While others say you don't need your own hydration and can rely on Disney, I strongly disagree with that. While I make sure to take water and powerade at every stop, it's also nice to be able to take a quick drink to wet my throat if necessary during the race. During one race, my throat got so insanely dry that I may have had a disaster if I didn't have my own powerade on me to wet my throat as I was nowhere near a water station. I've never actually used all of my powerade during the race, but it's nice to know that it's there just in case.

First congrats on taking on a half marathon, that is awesome! I have been reading through the thread and agree with much of the feedback around each of us as runners are different. What works for one may or may not work for the next. I do believe that prep for a half should include an 11 mile distance; for me I needed to complete the entire distance in a training run for the psychological confidence. But if you can get to 11, I believe you can get to 13.1.

Mostly though I wanted to challenge you to drop the "just" language around walking as opposed to running. I think it is awesome that you are taking on a 13.1 mile race. That is no small feat! Walking at a 15 mile pace for that distance will be a challenge. The training you have to do to be prepared is a challenge. Walk or run you are putting yourself out there and that is what matters.

Wish you the best of luck, though you won't need it. Stick to your training, experiment with fueling while training, know that you are a racer like every other person toeing the line on race day and You will do great!

Last edited:
Here's my experience. In 2011, I did no cross training whatsoever. I just put in most of the runs under the Galloway plan. I finished the race just fine, but made no stops whatsoever in 3:05. In 2012, I incorporated cross training into my training and continued to follow the Galloway plan. I finished the race in 3:06 with an unplanned bathroom break and two character stops totaling about 10 minutes between the two. Yes, confidence helps, but I did not train any faster than the previous year. The only difference was the cross training. I believe the improved physical strength especially in my back and core helped me to essentially earn back most of my "lost" time from the year before.

I have since completed both Rebel Challenge events running 3 days a week except for the back to back sessions tied to the Rebel Challenge. 3 days a week is sufficient. The long run on the weekends helps gradually increase your endurance level and the 2 runs during the week maintain your most recent long run.

While others say you don't need your own hydration and can rely on Disney, I strongly disagree with that. While I make sure to take water and powerade at every stop, it's also nice to be able to take a quick drink to wet my throat if necessary during the race. During one race, my throat got so insanely dry that I may have had a disaster if I didn't have my own powerade on me to wet my throat as I was nowhere near a water station. I've never actually used all of my powerade during the race, but it's nice to know that it's there just in case.

Thanks for your feedback! What type of cross training did you do? I just ordered a hydration pack that is very highly rated on Amazon. I think I might need a bit more hydration and nutrition on the course. I also need them for training walks. Even short ones. I went out for 3 miles on Thursday and by 2 miles I was parched. 85 degrees at over 6,000 feet... it probably makes a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter