• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transatlantic - does the ship move more?

WDWDeb

Platinum Castaway Club
We are considering the Dream transatlantic cruise in Sept. Do you feel the ship move more on a transatlantic crossing? We are use to DCL Bahamas and Caribbean cruises, and I would think you potentially have more swells given you are on open ocean. Would love to hear experiences! Thanks

I didn't. I only noticed the motion more when walking. And only on the two days when the weather wasn't as nice. Not when I was just sitting at dinner, for example.

It depends on the weather and the routing options available to the captain. We crossed the Atlantic at the same time as my parents, who were on another ship. We were on the southern path and the seas were calm as a pool. My parents left from England towards Canada and had the roughest seas they have had in 100+ cruises. There is no definitive answer to your question.

It depends on the weather and the routing options available to the captain. We crossed the Atlantic at the same time as my parents, who were on another ship. We were on the southern path and the seas were calm as a pool. My parents left from England towards Canada and had the roughest seas they have had in 100+ cruises. There is no definitive answer to your question.
True but if you go by the probabilities, on average you’re more likely to encounter large swells in the north atlantic than in the caribbean.

I've taken both transatlantic routes and the southern route that goes more toward the Azures was much smoother. It was like sailing on glass. As other posters have said, the northern route was much rougher seas, including the hurricane we had to go around.

Currently DCL is routing their transatlantic's on a more southern route so I'd expect some nice seas for sailing.

Other than when hitting bad weather I didn't notice larger swells as a rule. But one thing you will have, is that the ship never stops. That seems obvious, but if you're used to having "breaks" from any ship motion in ports, that is not the case for the crossing section of the transatlantic. It's 5 (or so) days of non-stop movement 24/7. Also because the ship is going at a pace of around 22 knots there is often some wind on the upper decks. That being said, I loved the first one it enough to book one in the other direction.

The September that we did the southern route, the sea was like glass. But FYI, not was the HOTTEST we've ever been on a ship at sea. For five days, you could barely go outside for a half hour or so at a time before gasping for air & feeling dehydrated--even in the shade. Very few people spent much time sitting in the sun. Our group of friends had fun--but almost melted!

In 2019 on the WBTA we encountered storms and we rerouted. We skipped the two Canadian ports and overnighted in NYC. We never really felt terrible seas.

The worst I ever experienced was in October 2019, DVC Member Cruise to Bermuda. That was terrible! Screenshot of the storm

1676934342311.jpeg

We are considering the Dream transatlantic cruise in Sept. Do you feel the ship move more on a transatlantic crossing? We are use to DCL Bahamas and Caribbean cruises, and I would think you potentially have more swells given you are on open ocean. Would love to hear experiences! Thanks
No way of knowing. Our first TA the ocean was like glass the whole way across. Our second it was like being on a rollercoaster.

My TransAtlantic cruise from England with stops in Canada was not rocky at all. It wasn’t like floating around the Caribbean though. If you are worried about seasickness, go for a lower deck. It was gray and chilly on the pool deck. No one was in the pool, which was often covered. No one even sat around the pool. You really needed to be inside (it was September). Lots to do if you wanted to. I read 6 books. I wouldn’t bother with a verandah unless you want the light. It’s windy.

People that don't cruise always ask me if you can feel the ship moving. I tell them it depends on the seas. They always give me a blank stare. I think some people just aren't familiar with the ocean.

To answer your question I've been on two TA's. One the ocean was like a pond the whole way and the other we were dodging a hurricane.

Honestly you could have rough or smooth seas on any itinerary there's no way to predict the weather. The more land locked you are the greater chance you have of having smoother seas, but nothings guaranteed.

I think the chances of big movements are bigger on a transatlantic than the average Bahamas/Car but it doesnt have to be that way as others say

Drake Passage is called the Drake Shake for good reason--usually the roughest seas on Earth. However, when we sailed it to Antarctica and back in 2020, we had Drake Lake with smooth water in both directions and beautiful sunny weather (but super cold). The roughest seas we ever had was on the North Sea from Edinburgh, Scotland to Oslo, Norway and also rounding Baja California going north on a Mexican Riviera cruise--lots of folks with seasickness. Bottom Line: It will be what Mother Nature wants it to be!!!

Last edited:
We did the September crossing last year. We sailed the outside edges of two different tropical systems, and honestly the movement was noticeable but not terrible to us. We had a room on Deck 2 and the sound of the waves hitting the ship was worse than the movement for us. We sailed to Bermuda in October 2019 and that was SO much worse LOL

While we had a mixed bag of weather on the TA (days on deck in my puffer vest and a sweater and days in a swimsuit!) I agree that when the sun is out, it gets WARM fast. And even if you don't feel super warm because of the breeze/wind, you will get sun quickly. Bring the sunscreen!

We did the TA from PC to Copenhagen in 2017 and the sailing couldn't have been smoother. The ocean was literally like glass. However, the crew did regale us with stories of a previous (they didn't say which) TA where everyone was confined to their rooms due to the rough seas and food was delivered.

That said, most of the reports I've heard have been in the smoother side of things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter