Transfer Shower Vs Roll in

disneyobessed

DIS Veteran
Good Morning! We just booked a HA room at Coronado and I realized I booked a wheelchair transfer shower room instead of a roll in shower for my son. Could anyone tell me the difference?

Transfer shower room is probably a tub with a handheld shower and a flip down seat/separate shower chair. Roll-in shower he can take a manual wheelchair in or it has a flip down bench with no barriers.

Roll in shower rooms actually have a shower that you could roll right into with a rolling shower chair.

There are wheelchair accessible rooms with tubs with grab bars - some people with disabilities prefer to have a tub to soak in. Those will be labeled as wheelchair accessible with tub.

The wheelchair accessible with transfer shower can‘t be rolled into. They usually have a shower that is entered from the short side with a fold down bench. You can push a wheelchair next to the bench, then transfer from wheelchair to bench for the shower.
This is a link to an accessibility review of Coronado Springs
It includes a picture of the transfer shower

From what I've heard the transfer showers have a smaller shower area. Just barely enough room to roll your wheelchair up the the shower bench. The roll-in showers have a larger area where you could actually roll your own shower chair into the area and have room around it.

Picture of transfer shower at Coronado (From article posted above).
In transfer showers, the opening to the shower and access to the bench is on the short side of the shower.
Roll in showers have the long side of the shower open and because of that, you could roll a rolling shower chair into the shower.
845021CC-A2A3-4574-95FA-91AAD3D62535.jpeg

Does anyone know what the brand of the new mesh shower benches are in the remodeled rooms?

Roll in shower rooms actually have a shower that you could roll right into with a rolling shower chair.

There are wheelchair accessible rooms with tubs with grab bars - some people with disabilities prefer to have a tub to soak in. Those will be labeled as wheelchair accessible with tub.

The wheelchair accessible with transfer shower can‘t be rolled into. They usually have a shower that is entered from the short side with a fold down bench. You can push a wheelchair next to the bench, then transfer from wheelchair to bench for the shower.
This is a link to an accessibility review of Coronado Springs
It includes a picture of the transfer shower
Thank you for the info about accessible shower rooms. It's great to know about different options for various needs. Accessibility is essential for a comfortable stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter