Transferring cruise after agent passed away- Costco?

kalishea

Mouseketeer
Hi,
We have the unfortunate circumstance of having our local travel agent pass away this past month. He had our two current October cruise bookings and, as an independent agent, we now need to transfer them to DCL direct or another agency. My question is, since this not at our request and not a common occurrence, could it be possible to now transfer to Costco and in turn qualify for the cash cards they promote? Any idea how this might work? I have chatted with DCL and they provided me the number to call and get the transfer completed, but I was curious about this before I proceed.
Thanks!

If DCL already paid a commission to the independent agent, they are unlikely to pay a second commission to Costco or another travel agency. I guess that theoretically DCL could request that your first agent's estate return the commission along with transferring the reservation, but I don't know how that would work.

I believe that the original travel agent needs to 'release' the reservation to a new travel agent; please let us know how you are able to work around that.

If DCL already paid a commission to the independent agent, they are unlikely to pay a second commission to Costco or another travel agency. I guess that theoretically DCL could request that your first agent's estate return the commission along with transferring the reservation, but I don't know how that would work.

I believe that the original travel agent needs to 'release' the reservation to a new travel agent; please let us know how you are able to work around that.
Good point on the commission. And I know releasing the reservation is standard practice when transferring under other circumstances, so it will be interesting to see how it works with there no longer being that agent to release it... I will check into further and report back. Thanks!

I don’t think commission is paid until after the cruise, or maybe shortly before embarkation within the window when cancellation is completely non-refundable. If you are allowed to transfer, Costco should have no reason not to provide their usual perk for a transferred reservation. Whether DCL will allow a transfer to Costco under the unique circumstances is really a question for DCL.

Sorry for your loss and good luck with the transfer(s).

Commission is paid after the cruise sails. It would be an accounting nightmare to pay it before for many reasons, especially cancellation.

MJ

Commission is paid after the cruise sails. It would be an accounting nightmare to pay it before for many reasons, especially cancellation.

MJ

That is not accurate. Most cruise lines pay commissions shortly after final payment is made.

Last edited:
I can confirm, DCL pays commissions shortly after final payment is made. So if you've made final payment for your October cruises, your only choice may be to move it back to DCL. If you haven't made final payment, you would have other options.

I am a travel agent. I can tell you we don’t get paid until AFTER sailing has been completed. She can transfer it. There is usually a simple form involved but if there is a TA already involved with the situation, I’m not sure how the reservation would be released. If you want to use Costco, call DCL and make them aware of the situation. They will tell you how to proceed.

One thing to consider: While you said your agent was an independent, did they have a business? The reservation might be owned by the business, not the agent, even though the agent may be the sole 'employee'. It could be part of the estate. Obviously, if there was a partner in the business, that person would hopefully step up to provide service.

Your best bet is definitely checking with DCL on what is possible, but you may have to check with your TA's company before anything can be done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter