Transgender Gym Mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLP958

DIS Veteran
Has anyone heard the story of the Planet Fitness Gym In Michigan?
I can't get my phone to copy a link right now but it's easy to find.

It seems a female member complained about a transgender person who identified themselves as female using the women's changing/restrooms.

The woman was told not to talk about it with other gym members.
Apparently she continued to voice her concerns and her membership was revoked.

To me the whole think seems ridiculous on all sides.

I can see the woman's POV not wanting to use the changing room with a male, even though they want to be female.

But, unless she felt threatened or scared by the person (which the article does not say she did) what was the huge deal.

But again, although the transgender person may feel like, look like and act like a woman, they technically are not and should probably not be using a public women's changing room.

I just don't see a good solution here.

Thoughts?

I think a person should use the restroom for the gender that they identify with/appear as. If a transgender person does not dress as the gender that agrees with their restroom choice, that is a problem. If they are transitioning and present as the same gender as the restroom they use, I think they should be able to use it even if they haven't had a surgical transition.

What harm is going to come to anyone? Don't women have stalls and doors in their bathrooms anyway?

The article said the changing room has private shower/dressing cubicles.

Our YMCA does not allow little boys over the age of 5 to go into the women's dressing room but it's ok for grown men??????

How do you know that you aren't currently sharing a dressing room with a transgender person? Do you look at their "stuff"? There may very well be times that you've shared a dressing room or restroom with a transgendered person and you would be none the wiser.

I think if she was the only one complaining and having concerns then maybe the gym did the right thing.

But like JanaDee said, if there were more women uncomfortable with it then the rights of one person shouldn't come before the rights of many.
(FTR...I hate saying that. Personally, I want to tell those people who don't like it to kick rocks, but logically I have to go with the answer above.)

Here's the article: http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/07/living/feat-planet-fitness-transgender-member/

"
Cormier told CNN affiliate WNEM that she was caught off guard when a "man" walked into the women's locker room in the gym's Midland branch on February 28.

"He totally looked like a man. He was not dressed like a woman at all."

This gets touchy. As stated above, if a transgendered person appears as male, whether before or after transition, person should use male restrooms. If a transgendered person appears female, then person should use female restroom. I think it was wrong and insensitive for the person in the article to use the female facilities while still appearing male. (if that were truly the case)

Last edited:
I never understand these issues.

Is it because they are physically male that is the issue? Are people who feel that way uncomfortable because they think an opposite sex member is going to look at them in a sexual way? Because obviously that can happen with members of the same sex as well...

Is it because they are physically male that is the issue? Are people who feel that way uncomfortable because they think an opposite sex member is going to look at them in a sexual way? Because obviously that can happen with members of the same sex as well...
And that is why the cubicle is your friend. They should build more of them though.

Here's the article: http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/07/living/feat-planet-fitness-transgender-member/

"
Cormier told CNN affiliate WNEM that she was caught off guard when a "man" walked into the women's locker room in the gym's Midland branch on February 28.

"He totally looked like a man. He was not dressed like a woman at all."

This gets touchy. As stated above, if a transgendered person appears as male, whether before or after transition, person should use male restrooms. If a transgendered person appears female, then person should use female restroom. I think it was wrong and insensitive for the person in the article to use the female facilities while still appearing male.

She keeps saying he was dressed like a man.
Was he not wearing a dress? There are plenty of women who wear men's clothing at the gym. Maybe if she were made up it wouldn't have been an issue. :rolleyes:

If he has male genitalia, he should use the mens locker room.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I have a problem with the opposite sex being in a womens restroom or changing room. It's just wrong.
For the Planet Fitness story, I think if the person presents themselves as male I don't think they belong in the womens changing room. I know that's not very PC but it's how I feel.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I have a problem with the opposite sex being in a womens restroom or changing room. It's just wrong.
For the Planet Fitness story, I think if the person presents themselves as male I don't think they belong in the womens changing room. I know that's not very PC but it's how I feel.
You have every right to feel the way you do. I won't judge you for that.
I just don't understand what makes it wrong.

She keeps saying he was dressed like a man.
Was he not wearing a dress? There are plenty of women who wear men's clothing at the gym. Maybe if she were made up it wouldn't have been an issue. :rolleyes:

I would be surprised if a person who appeared male, either by dress or physical features (men's suit or beard for example), entered the women's facilities. I would not have any issue if a transgendered person entered and I most likely wouldn't be able to tell. I think there are also women who appear male due to physical traits and clothing choices, so I don't really know what this woman (the complainer) was thinking.

I would be surprised if a person who appeared male, either by dress or physical features (men's suit or beard for example), entered the women's facilities. I would not have any issue if a transgendered person entered and I most likely wouldn't be able to tell. I think there are also women who appear male due to physical traits and clothing choices, so I don't really know what this woman (the complainer) was thinking.
I wish the woman would be more specific when she was interviewed because I think that makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter