Transitioning kids to their own MDE account - risk of losing FP+?

g-dub

Earning My Ears
Hoping someone may have some recent experience in this situation...

Myself, DW and DS17 and DS13 are all managed by me on MDE. We have had several prior trips and I typically manage FP+, booking extra, etc. This upcoming trip in May anticipate the kids may want to occasionally go off on their own a few times and spend some time together, and would like to be able to book additional FP+ on their own (we already have the 3 reservations per day booked).

Looks like I need to invite my kids to create their own MDE account and then link their account back to mine to be able to manage their reservation but also allow them to book their own FP+.

My concern is that in doing this process, I risk losing the FP+ that I’ve already booked for them for our upcoming trip (53 days out today). I chatted with Disney CM online who said that everything should transfer over OK. Regardless - I’m still worried. Has anyone else done this and can you confirm that reservations, and FP+ will transfer over to their own individual accounts?

Thanks!

Myself, DW and DS17 and DS13 are all managed by me on MDE. We have had several prior trips and I typically manage FP+, booking extra, etc. This upcoming trip in May anticipate the kids may want to occasionally go off on their own a few times and spend some time together, and would like to be able to book additional FP+ on their own (we already have the 3 reservations per day booked).

Looks like I need to invite my kids to create their own MDE account and then link their account back to mine to be able to manage their reservation but also allow them to book their own FP+.

My concern is that in doing this process, I risk losing the FP+ that I’ve already booked for them for our upcoming trip (53 days out today). I chatted with Disney CM online who said that everything should transfer over OK. Regardless - I’m still worried. Has anyone else done this and can you confirm that reservations, and FP+ will transfer over to their own individual accounts?

Thanks!
It will probably be fine. However, just a head's up. When I created DH his own acct (which he never uses), all my kids migrated over there and IT can't fix it after several hrs on the phone. Not a huge deal but AP renewal etc all have to be done from his acct now o_O I would assume your FP will be fine.

I’m in a similar situation. DD16 and DD14 will probably be in MK together while DH and I go out to dinner one night. And there are usually a couple other times when we split up for a bit. Right now I’m the only one with an MDE account.

I’m a little scared too about trying to link additional accounts at this point. I’m actually leaning toward just letting DD16 log into my account on her phone in those circumstances.

I had been in control of the whole family. DD18 had a senior trip to Disney and we wanted her to be able to access stuff on her own. The 'invite' feature never worked for us. DH eventually called and got himself and DD18 their own accounts, linked to mine. (I wish he had done it for DD14 at the same time...at some point I'm sure we'll need to call to get her an account for herself.)

I don't think there have been any issues with losing FP+ while doing this...

Given my recent experience with this:

1) Have them set up their own accounts. Make sure the character is different than the one on your account for easy identification. Make sure you know their email addresses - and address on the account that they set up.

2) Call Disney. I'd suggest doing this when they are home.

Really - there might be a way to make this happen online effectively - but I don't think there is. Not and just have them with ONE ACCOUNT that exists in MDE.

I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds like you have the family booked for three fast passes already. If the kids already have three fast passes (no matter who booked them) I don't believe they can make more even if they have their own accounts.

I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds like you have the family booked for three fast passes already. If the kids already have three fast passes (no matter who booked them) I don't believe they can make more even if they have their own accounts.
The OP means they will book their own FPs in the park after using their 3 pre-booked FPs.

It’s still easiest to share login info than to deal with separating family members in multiple MDX accounts.

Thanks everyone. I hadn’t really thought of just sharing the log in info and having them log in as me. Seems easier and less prone to Disney IT disaster. Think that’s what we will do!

If the point in time comes when the kids start going on their own, then it's probably worth having them create their own profile.

My wife and I just share my login. She doesnt want to deal with anything on the booking side so I manage her and my kids accounts. We never have had issues with both phones logged in at the same time.

We tried this with DH and it ended up being a nightmare. We had to go to Guest Services almost daily to get his fastpasses retrieved and even then we had issues. This was back when FP+ was relatively new, but to me it wouldn't be worth t to do anything that might run the risk of messing up FPs.

On my MDE account, I have myself, my wife, my son (who's now 22), and my mom. Everyone is fine with me taking care of Fastpasses. If my son wanted to do his own, I think it would be easier for me to just give him my password.

I might reconsider if and only if he starts taking trips to WDW by himself.

I would share the login information for this trip.

In 2017, we had already booked dining and FP, and some members of our party didn’t have MDE and didn’t want it. Then a couple of them changed their minds and set up accounts so they could manage their plans. We tried to link them and it wouldn’t work because I had already made plans for them. I then had to call and sit on the phone for about an hour and a half while a CM did a manual merge - deleting their ghost profiles from when I booked things and replacing those with their new ones.

Thanks!
DS decided to create his own account last year in the middle of our trip, without asking me about it. He didn't lose FP, BUT no matter how we tried, no matter how Guest Services tried, no matter how IT tried, they couldn't get him connected to me through Friends and Family, so in the middle of the trip, we lost the ability for me to make FP selections for him. That was August of 2018, and we just finally got things straightened back out in January. Don't ask me why, but suddenly it was just fixed, and the profile I had for him was connected to him.

So, I guess, just be aware that things could go wonky, and Disney may not be able to sort it out in a timely manner.

I would share the login information for this trip.

In 2017, we had already booked dining and FP, and some members of our party didn’t have MDE and didn’t want it. Then a couple of them changed their minds and set up accounts so they could manage their plans. We tried to link them and it wouldn’t work because I had already made plans for them. I then had to call and sit on the phone for about an hour and a half while a CM did a manual merge - deleting their ghost profiles from when I booked things and replacing those with their new ones.

This right here!!!! Happened to us October of this past year. I had profiles from when the kids were younger but this last time we went they both have jobs and are 20 and 26 and we told them the only way we could go was if everyone bought their own ticket. So, everyone bought their own and made a MDE account and linked the tickets, linked the magic bands, linked Halloween ticket, and linked each other as friends. I then had ghost profiles from before and couldn't tell which profile was really theirs. I was trying to make fastpasses and being told they didn't have tickets. Had to set on hold for almost 2 hours and they finally merged them together. Luckily it was before got there and we got it straightened out. I would definitely just share the password for this trip if you have everything already planned out.

FWIW, I have the only MDE account in the family. Myself, DH and DD20 all use my log in info on our phones. We were all using the refresh method to get FPs and had no issues. I wouldn't add more MDE accounts if not needed because as others have said, WDW IT is NOT great at fixing issues on the fly. I wouldn't risk it with a trip already planned with FPs chosen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter