• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transportation to parks from Good Neighbor Hotels at DW

Christybug

Earning My Ears
Planning our trip to DW in June or July. I'm trying to debate whether it is really cost effective to stay off site. Some of the offsite hotels look like they are offering limited shuttles (one you have to schedule 24 hours in advance, and another has one shuttle to and one shuttle back per day). I've read renting a car can be costly and still time consuming (parking, and even then you still have long walks or take other transportation from parking lot to park entrance). I just did a check on uber and lyft and one wants $36 and the other $85 for a ten minute drive for my family of five. Do the disney busses (magic express?) ONLY run for people staying at disney resorts? Or could you take a disney bus from, say, MK to disney springs and get close-ish to your hotel? I'm just trying to weigh it all out. Any help would be appreciated. We were looking at dates that exclude the affordable Disney resort hotels for our family of 5, but a couple of weeks later an affordable basic oneopens up. Is it worth staying on property simply for the transportation (especially now with no fast passes, magic morning, or really ANYTHING else going on that makes paying for the Disney label worth it right now)?

Magical Express is only offered for onsite guests. Park to DS busses are not limited to onsite guests only, but it could be a very big time suck.

Magical Express is only offered for onsite guests. Park to DS busses are not limited to onsite guests only, but it could be a very big time suck.
So is Magical Express JUST the ride to and from the airport? Outside of that it's just the regular Disney busses available to everyone? And these do NOT take you outside the resort, correct?

personally if I stay off site, no matter where, I rent a car. Yes it’s more expensive, but it’s probably still less then what you are paying for the room. Having the time driving back and forth is worth the money, if you are Costco member, there are generally good prices for rental cars,

personally if I stay off site, no matter where, I rent a car. Yes it’s more expensive, but it’s probably still less then what you are paying for the room. Having the time driving back and forth is worth the money, if you are Costco member, there are generally good prices for rental cars,
So it sounds like you've done both. It isn't that we can't afford to stay on-site, just not sure I want to add the expense. In your experience, what is your preference, on site or off site? Is being on-site truly more convenient? We've only ever been to Disneyland, and all (well, most of) their good neighbor hotels are walking distance so the transportation issue is much less of a factor.

So it sounds like you've done both. It isn't that we can't afford to stay on-site, just not sure I want to add the expense. In your experience, what is your preference, on site or off site? Is being on-site truly more convenient? We've only ever been to Disneyland, and all (well, most of) their good neighbor hotels are walking distance so the transportation issue is much less of a factor.
We have done both. We love staying onsite in precovid times. Love the evening extra magic hours, and the ability to hop on a bus/monorail or boat. offsite Is nice for roomier cheaper accommodation.
if you are going during COVID, I’ probably stay off site and save the money. If we are onsite, I wouldn’t want to ride the buses right now, but that’s personal preference and I’d still get the rental car. The only park that’s kind of a pain is at mk. Right now the trams aren’t running at any park, but from what I read if you go early, it’s easy to park.

Are any of the good neighbor hotels running convenient shuttles at this time? Are the Disney Springs resort hotels close enough to walk to Disney transportation? We are going in Dec and trying to decide if staying on Disney property is worth it for the security of knowing we will have reliable shuttles.

Glad I found this thread. Question: Taking COVID out of the equation, so pre COVID times, how were the shuttles/buses from Disney Springs area hotels? Did they run fairly frequently? I've never stayed off-site and am seriously considering it. I've heard good and bad things about it, just like I've heard, and experienced, good and bad things with Disney transportation. Now, I should state that it has been 20 years since I've been down to the World, so my experience with Disney transportation is rather old. However, even back then I was waiting, at times, 30+ minutes for a bus back to my resort when it a bus was supposed to be every 20. Just curious. Thanks

In recent years there have been many comments about poor Disney bus service at Disney Springs, which I take to be unexpectedly long waits.

I heard of (but have never used) a shared shuttle bus serving several off site resorts. But I would feel more comfortable with a system with sign up sheets to reserve bus time.

I'm not sure where your offsite hotel is, but your uber price is really high. We are a family of 4 and we paid $40 to go from idrive to the airport with uberxl.
Our off site place is Sheraton vistana, they have a shuttle but it only runs in the morning and night so we take uber. We have also rented cars just right now the price is high.

Are any of the Good Neighbor hotels currently running shuttles that bring guests to the parks in time for early-morning entry? Specifically, a shuttle from the Holiday Inn in time for early-entry to DHS.

This is for family that is joining us for one day at DHS. We will already be on site. Since we will only have one day together, we want to maximize our park time, and it is important to us that we are able use to use the extra early half hour. We just want to feel comfortable that they have a reliable non-driving option to be at the gate in time. A reliable shuttle feels like it could the most convenient option, if available.

Are any of the Good Neighbor hotels currently running shuttles that bring guests to the parks in time for early-morning entry? Specifically, a shuttle from the Holiday Inn in time for early-entry to DHS.

This is for family that is joining us for one day at DHS. We will already be on site. Since we will only have one day together, we want to maximize our park time, and it is important to us that we are able use to use the extra early half hour. We just want to feel comfortable that they have a reliable non-driving option to be at the gate in time. A reliable shuttle feels like it could the most convenient option, if available.
This thread was in late ‘21… maybe post as new one??

This thread was in late ‘21… maybe post as new one??
Sorry, I didn't really look at the date. I found this thread via search, and didn't think it would help to start a new thread when there already was one covering the topic.

Sorry, I didn't really look at the date. I found this thread via search, and didn't think it would help to start a new thread when there already was one covering the topic.
I found the shuttles took forever because they make so many stops.. if you only have one day use uber.
We were staying at holliday inn celebration and it was $20

Shuttles are for people that dont carw what time they get there

Last edited:
I'm not sure where your offsite hotel is, but your uber price is really high. We are a family of 4 and we paid $40 to go from idrive to the airport with uberxl.
Our off site place is Sheraton vistana, they have a shuttle but it only runs in the morning and night so we take uber. We have also rented cars just right now the price is high.
For the benefit of people who didn't realize an old thread was bumped up:....
Uber and Lyft use dynamic pricing. Rates near park opening and closing have been reported to be double and even almost triple typical rates. Not an issue, at least park closing, if you're willing to hang out and wait for the prices to come down. Remember an extra 30 minutes of shopping could cost far more then extra money ride share demands.
The Disney Springs hotels, the ones on hotel plaza used to have great shuttle buses.

For the most part offsite hotels never offered good shuttle bus service. Limited service, the need to make advance reservations, multiple stops and schedules that sometimes wouldn't get you to the park early enough for park opening or let you leave late were common.

Rental car used to be the only way to go. Ride share gives you a choice. It's possible your offsite resort offers a shuttle in one direction that might work. Supplementing it with ride share is the answer.

Thanks for the replies.

It just seems that guests at GN hotels are at currently at a disadvantage to use their Early Entry benefit when the parking lots are not open as early as they used to be, and if the shuttles don't operate early enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter