Trash the Dress

We aren't getting married on DCL but will be honeymooning with them.

Does anyone know how (if it's even possible) I would go about booking a private "trash the dress" session at Castaway Cay? Can we also include characters?
I just posted good information for you. And feel free to message me if you have any other questions. You will have no issues at all doing this, but finding the right photographer would be key if your going to do it! Good Luck! Have a great time!!

I know I sound like a nervous nellie, but couldn't doing some of those things in a giant wedding dress (vs. proper swimwear) be dangerous?

As long as it isn't indecent, I don't see what the issue would be with wearing a wedding dress?

When I was in collage, I used to go out to goth clubs in a wedding dress I bought at salvation army. I later dismantled it and built a Corpse Bride Halloween costume from it. :P

Disney doesn't tend to appreciate people wearing full on wedding garb in the parks. Since it's Disney I'm extrapolating from that.

You think so?? That seems awfully controlling of them to do that. Hmmmm...

Yes it does. Welcome to Disney. :)

Disney doesn't tend to appreciate people wearing full on wedding garb in the parks. Since it's Disney I'm extrapolating from that.

Yes it does. Welcome to Disney. :)

Interesting. I never would have thought of them to be that strict. Learn something new every day, I guess! :)

again, the wedding boards have tons of info. you CAN wear a wedding dress on the ship if you want, it's different than being IN a park. you can wear a wedding dress around the WDW resorts as well if you wish (without having had a DFTW) - former disney bride here :)

I did a Trash the Dress session on the second leg of our honeymoon cruise in 2012. We have photographers (our wedding ones from earlier that month) come with us and they took the photos. Their names are David and Vicki Arndt. My husband and I did parasailing in our wedding attire and they got really great shots on castaway cay and the ship (which we did before getting off to trash f course). I would highly recommend contacting David and Vicki they do TONS of Trash the dress, Disney Weddings and Disney Cruise Weddings!

Here is a link to some of my photos: http://www.dvarndtblog.com/2012/09/the-disney-fantasy-cruiseline-bridal.html

I say GO FOR IT!! We had so much fun :) and was a great honeymoon memory.
Wow. Fantastic photos. Ive never seen anything like it before and I'm stunned.
And if Disney were ever going to have an issue about wedding dresses on board or CC it would have been evident that day - so I guess that answers that question :-)

Wow. Fantastic photos. Ive never seen anything like it before and I'm stunned.
And if Disney were ever going to have an issue about wedding dresses on board or CC it would have been evident that day - so I guess that answers that question :-)
Thank you. Before we planned the trash the dress and doing it parasailing I contacted disney a few different times and every time got the same answer that it was no big deal about wearing my dress on the ship, the island or the excursions. :) it was such an amazing experience and special to do it at our favorite place to vacation!

Interesting. I never would have thought of them to be that strict. Learn something new every day, I guess! :)
The problem with wearing wedding attire in the parks is people having do-it-yourself weddings. Dress up, have your officiant come to the park with you, walk up in front of the castle, and wedding is on. This stuff has happened so the rules were put in place. Disney has an entire business built around weddings at their resorts & parks. Very lucrative. They're not going to be successful selling the big-budget experiences if people can do it for nothing. Ya know?

I did a Trash the Dress session on the second leg of our honeymoon cruise in 2012. We have photographers (our wedding ones from earlier that month) come with us and they took the photos. Their names are David and Vicki Arndt. My husband and I did parasailing in our wedding attire and they got really great shots on castaway cay and the ship (which we did before getting off to trash f course). I would highly recommend contacting David and Vicki they do TONS of Trash the dress, Disney Weddings and Disney Cruise Weddings!

Here is a link to some of my photos: http://www.dvarndtblog.com/2012/09/the-disney-fantasy-cruiseline-bridal.html

I say GO FOR IT!! We had so much fun :) and was a great honeymoon memory.

Your photos are amazing! I love how the colors in your gown match the water! Just beautiful! And: we have the same wedding anniversary day!

Wow your pics are amazing! May I ask what their prices run for cruises?

I'm not quite sure it was booked in a merged with our wedding package. But you could contact them by email and I'm sure they would be able to give you some better information and more up to date as well! :)

I think the issue would be someone wearing a wedding dress that hadn't had a proper Disney wedding or renewal (more importantly, PAID FOR a proper Disney w or r onboard). Even if you just walk right into the water in it, I think their need for total control will call a halt to the plans.
I think you are right. They take pains to make sure the lady in the dress (even if it is to be "trashed") is the only lady in the dress seen in that area that day. They would probably want the base wedding fee to book the time, the fee for the photographer, and any other incidentals. They are so serious about anything that looks like a "wedding" event that hasn't been booked through their offices. I don't know how they would feel about the "trash the dress" imagery. One of the brides on the DFTW page said they would not allow the groomsmen to expose the tops of their boxer shorts for a photo. They have standards they want to maintain. Maybe if the dress was elegantly trashed by the bride strolling serenely into the sea instead of a pack of crazed ladies attacking it with scissors and paint and glitter? Having been a Disney Bride, I had to tone down and tow the line a few times to stay within Disney's image. I loved all of it, but I understand now!

I think you are right. They take pains to make sure the lady in the dress (even if it is to be "trashed") is the only lady in the dress seen in that area that day. They would probably want the base wedding fee to book the time, the fee for the photographer, and any other incidentals. They are so serious about anything that looks like a "wedding" event that hasn't been booked through their offices. I don't know how they would feel about the "trash the dress" imagery. One of the brides on the DFTW page said they would not allow the groomsmen to expose the tops of their boxer shorts for a photo. They have standards they want to maintain. Maybe if the dress was elegantly trashed by the bride strolling serenely into the sea instead of a pack of crazed ladies attacking it with scissors and paint and glitter? Having been a Disney Bride, I had to tone down and tow the line a few times to stay within Disney's image. I loved all of it, but I understand now!

This might be DFTW or disney photography rules but as I've done it (disney bride in 2012) and other disney bride friends have as well on castaway cay I was not stopped or questioned one time by anyone. As you can also see from the photos we went on an excursion in our wedding gear and again was not questioned or stopped ever. Disney world is very strict but luckily disney cruise isn't the same. There should be nothing stopping the OP from doing trash the dress!!! Like I said amazing experience!!!

And when the term trash the dress is used. Doesn't mean the dress is really being trashed. Mine had feathers and all and it still looks new to this day. Never really trashed it :)

This might be DFTW or disney photography rules but as I've done it (disney bride in 2012) and other disney bride friends have as well on castaway cay I was not stopped or questioned one time by anyone. As you can also see from the photos we went on an excursion in our wedding gear and again was not questioned or stopped ever. Disney world is very strict but luckily disney cruise isn't the same. There should be nothing stopping the OP from doing trash the dress!!! Like I said amazing experience!!!

And when the term trash the dress is used. Doesn't mean the dress is really being trashed. Mine had feathers and all and it still looks new to this day. Never really trashed it :)
That is really good to know! At one point during our reception, I swear the Disney security were Secret Service. It seemed a little overkill to me, but I guess some people want to feel like they are the only people at Disney during their wedding. I liked the idea of mingling with the masses but it does not happen. I have no complaints, but I did get to see some of the inner workings of the process. It's nice to know DCL is laid back!

I hope your parents didn't pay for the dress. Trendy or not it would be disrespectful in so many ways, even if they claim to be OK with it. Just remember, many years from now you may regret it when the fad has passed and something else is all the rage and you can't fix it or even explain it to someone then.

Just my opinion. I may be wrong.

Last edited:
We aren't getting married on DCL but will be honeymooning with them.

Does anyone know how (if it's even possible) I would go about booking a private "trash the dress" session at Castaway Cay? Can we also include characters?

Just curious, but I thought "trashing the dress" was something a bride did when she was either stood up at the altar or they called off the wedding, not something you did with the dress that your wore on your special day. Just curious why you would do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter