Travel Advisory - Canadian’s out of country

So ticked off at our local ski resort. They are completely ignoring the recommendations and are in fact expanding their hours, for all the people who are "off school and work". 😡 They have just lost my business, permanently.

Blue Mountains ski resort in Ontario announced closure yesterday night.

I think skiing felt like a relatively safe activity - not packed together, everyone wearing gloves, etc. Even yesterday I was thinking it was a pretty safe bet for next week. We don't ski but was thinking of taking my son tubing.

But by last night, everything has changed and all recommendations are changing rapidly. Going to take time for ppl to catch up after spending 2 months inundated with everyone saying things this is just like the flu, everything has been hyped up.

So ticked off at our local ski resort. They are completely ignoring the recommendations and are in fact expanding their hours, for all the people who are "off school and work". They went so far as to say they welcome tailgaters. 😡 They have just lost my business, permanently.

QC gvt just ordered all sport and cultural facilities to close. Including skating rinks and ski resorts. Buffets and sugar shacks also have to close and regular restaurants must reduce their occupancy by half to allow more space between tables. The only thing I wish they would close are malls.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more closures of non-essential businesses. Spain closed all theirs after Italy did. France is starting to. In the U.S. it was announced that Walmart will no longer be open 24 hours but 6-11 pm. Several retailers have started to announce they were closing. Apple announced they are closing their stores world-wide for a couple of weeks.

I've been a front line first responder for 14 years. I've been around many dangerous viruses and diseases, many of which are much more contagious and deadly than this. I have never contracted any major illness.

My biggest piece of advice for anyone is dont panic. In times like these Temporarily Delete your social media accounts and get your info straight from government health websites. Follow their recommendations. Read the full reports and statements and not just headlines on mainstream media. Media is selling you a product. That product is fear.

There is so much misinformation out there everyday about everything because we rely on social media as our first source of information.

Blue Mountains ski resort in Ontario announced closure yesterday night.

I think skiing felt like a relatively safe activity - not packed together, everyone wearing gloves, etc. Even yesterday I was thinking it was a pretty safe bet for next week. We don't ski but was thinking of taking my son tubing.

But by last night, everything has changed and all recommendations are changing rapidly. Going to take time for ppl to catch up after spending 2 months inundated with everyone saying things this is just like the flu, everything has been hyped up.

Yes. Skiing itself is fine. When you're on the mountain, no issue. Unfortunately, it's the standing in line for the lifts, the fact that they're still fully loading the chairs, the crowded bathrooms, cafeteria and lodge, standing in line for your tickets etc.... We're huge skiiers, in fact, it's downright a passion of mine, skiing is for me, what Disney is for most people here, but we're done for the season - and it pains me to say that.

A life lived in fear is a life half lived - Baz Luhrmann

Enjoying the sun and warmth of South Carolina. Will be home when we get there.

Banff ski hills are currently open. Crowds are light and they are loading the lifts in private groups. No push to get full lifts and the lines are short or nonexistent. Skied last week at Sunshine Village and felt perfectly safe.

Snow is amazing. We ate lunch on the hill but if you are concerned about dining or washrooms you could go for half day.

Banff ski hills are currently open. Crowds are light and they are loading the lifts in private groups. No push to get full lifts and the lines are short or nonexistent. Skied last week at Sunshine Village and felt perfectly safe.

Snow is amazing. We ate lunch on the hill but if you are concerned about dining or washrooms you could go for half day.
I miss temple beach at this time of year. Backside lodge at lake louise....enjoy the snow ..tips downhill.

I've been a front line first responder for 14 years. I've been around many dangerous viruses and diseases, many of which are much more contagious and deadly than this. I have never contracted any major illness.

My biggest piece of advice for anyone is dont panic. In times like these Temporarily Delete your social media accounts and get your info straight from government health websites. Follow their recommendations. Read the full reports and statements and not just headlines on mainstream media. Media is selling you a product. That product is fear.

There is so much misinformation out there everyday about everything because we rely on social media as our first source of information.

I don’t rely on social media. I am following coverage from all of our country’s provincial governments.

Are you saying you don’t think this is serious? Seriously?!

I know my neighbour is sorry but it doesn't change the fact that what she did affects me and my family. Monday she took off to France,,,,Thursday she returned. Texted me that she is not sick but will be wiping down the door knobs that connect our garage..................................................:scared:(This is a townhouse that share a common garage area.)She is over 70 and had major open heart surgery just over a year and half ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.......................I just had surgery..........................................................(all those little dots are complete frustration and anger)....................................................,,I didn't even know how to respond to her text..................................................................
OMG people think of how your actions can affect others,,,thank God I'm off work ( I work in a BIG school full of kids)...................................
Thanks for letting me vent this out here.......................................
Mel

I would be frustrated too, Mel.

It's not your fault she's ignoring quarantine.

Do you mean that the townhouse shares a single parking structure, so she's going to wipe down the entrance to it?

Some options off the top of my head:
could you carry the automatic door opener for the garage in your purse, and use it to access the shared area?

could you park on the street to avoid the shared area completely?

It should be on her, not you, to avoid the common spaces. But since you're at high risk, maybe the extra steps are worth it?

@Mikamarii are you not at all concerned that what is currently happening in Italy could happen here if people don't stay home and slow down the spread of this virus. Our healthcare system, while great, is not equipped to handle a huge spike in demand they can barely handle flu season.

At the best of times there is no rational discussion on the internet. Someone reads part of something, puts their own spin on it, then throws back an argument based on an irrelevant assumption.

If its as rampant and contagious as people think it is then it’s likely a guarantee I have been exposed to someone who has it (Being a first responder). All my colleagues probably have. Yet we still need to go to work every day. If We don’t the result would be worse than the disease. If anyone has to call fire, police, or ambulance then the responders arriving likely have been exposed at some point. WHO says it can average 5 days without symptoms and symptoms are generally mild.

The Alberta govt announced tonight that all schools and daycares are closing. People were given 12 hours notice to figure out what to do. Not every employer will pay people to stay home with their kids especially when their company is likely not making any money right now. The Govt hasnt given a timeline (previously said if they do close it will be for the entire school year) but stated that every child will graduate from the grade they are in. That means likely no school until September And there are no child care services for people to utilize. That is scary.

I’m not arguing right or wrong but the decisions being made are having wide ranging consequences.

I would be frustrated too, Mel.

It's not your fault she's ignoring quarantine.

Do you mean that the townhouse shares a single parking structure, so she's going to wipe down the entrance to it?

Some options off the top of my head:
could you carry the automatic door opener for the garage in your purse, and use it to access the shared area?

could you park on the street to avoid the shared area completely?

It should be on her, not you, to avoid the common spaces. But since you're at high risk, maybe the extra steps are worth it?

Hi Hon
It's ok we are using backdoor,, parking outside,,and using rubber gloves.
Hugs
Mel

not concerned one bit

No where in their post do I see anything indicating this, they are simply trying to calm the panic because it doesn't do anyone any good.

As a first responder, they will be entering houses with people with cases over the next few months at least. They will have direct exposure to the virus. If they were of the same mentality as many on this thread they would not be able to do their job effectively.

You will be happy that they are calm and professional if ever you require their services. Calm and rational does not equal "not concerned".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter