Travel agent or direct booking?

Jennifer Shull

Earning My Ears
I'm planning a Dec 2018 trip to WDW for my family of 5. What are the disadvantages of booking with a disney vacation planner travel agent? I enjoy the planning aspect and I'm sure I will be tweaking our restaurant selections and FP selections quite a bit as we get closer. I have 2 teens and 5 yr old. I'm planning on getting the dining plan and staying on site. Will I be better off booking myself and making all the calls to get the hard to get reservations right at 180 days and 60 days or would a travel agent do OK? I am willing to get up early and call as soon as they are available. Is that even necessary? Also, if i use an agent, if I need to make changes to my reservations, does the agent have to do it or can i change them with Disney myself. The agent I'm considering specializes in Disney vacations.

I have done both. When I use a TA, I don't have her make any of my dining ADRs, I do all those myself. I like to make too many changes. Lol! I like using a TA because if there are any discounts that come out after I book, she will make the changes for me and I don't have to sit on the phone for an hour trying to make the change myself. Also, if we have any issues that come up before or during our trip, I can go to her and have her work on it. On the other hand, because I'm on the dis boards and do a lot of research (and have been on many WDW trips at this point) there are some things that I'm actually more knowledgeable about than my disney TA. It's often easier and faster to come here when I have questions than to go through her. My disney TA is also a friend of mine, so I like being able to help her business. It doesn't cost me anything to use her and she often provides special incentives to use her (as do a lot of disney TAs). Hope this helps!

I have done both. When I use a TA, I don't have her make any of my dining ADRs, I do all those myself. I like to make too many changes. Lol! I like using a TA because if there are any discounts that come out after I book, she will make the changes for me and I don't have to sit on the phone for an hour trying to make the change myself. Also, if we have any issues that come up before or during our trip, I can go to her and have her work on it. On the other hand, because I'm on the dis boards and do a lot of research (and have been on many WDW trips at this point) there are some things that I'm actually more knowledgeable about than my disney TA. It's often easier and faster to come here when I have questions than to go through her. My disney TA is also a friend of mine, so I like being able to help her business. It doesn't cost me anything to use her and she often provides special incentives to use her (as do a lot of disney TAs). Hope this helps!

If she makes any reservations for you, does she have to be the one who makes any changes?

OK thanks. I guess I can ask my agent the specifics. We have plenty of time to plan, but I would love for her to be able to keep an eye on discounts.

I used a TA one time. My SO's boss had a sister in-law was a Disney-trained TA, we booked through her to make nice to his boss. I would call her and tell her about sales that had just been announced by Disney. When we got a PIN code for free dinning, I emailed it to her and put down what I thought our new balance would be after the discount. She emailed me back, 'you were off by a penny'. So, no....I don't use TAs anymore. :cool2:

We use a TA when they have an exclusive TA discount, because it has beaten every other discount that I could find. They are in charge of the room reservation and any major changes they have to do, i.e. changing dates or room category.

I love my TA / Concierge service and have used them for years. We did a super last minute trip this summer and I got the brilliant idea to just book it myself ... NEVER again!!! I HATE calling the Disney phone number. I had a UOC, so I couldn't book online and after my initial booking there was an item I needed to change. It took multiple phone calls, multiple hours, and I was literally in tears by the end of it.

I use a TA for each trip. It's easier for me to ask her to figure out the savings if a promo or discount is released because me and math are not friends. Sometimes I have her to my ADRs, sometimes not. However, if my TA DOES make my ADRs, I can just go onto MDE and change them myself.

We're using a TA, one of the associated Disney ones that don't have fees. (I forget the official term.) She's helped us with ADRs, but then I've pretty much changed EVERYTHING, and she understands. She's answered questions and made phone calls while I was at work and couldn't justify being on the phone for personal business. I doubt I'm increasing her numbers very much, but it's nice to have someone experienced in my corner.

I do it myself, it's actually part of the enjoyment of WDW for me.
I think it helps with build up to the trip and gives me more of a feeling of control over how the trip will go.

We used a TA for our upcoming trip for the first time. I mainly did it because I was hoping for free dining and thought I'd have a better shot if someone else nabbed it for me. She was able to change our ressie to FD, but I've taken care of all of our ADR's and FP. She has been wonderful with bits of advice and I wouldn't hesitate to use her again.

Just found this here: http://www.disneydining.com/top-ten-tips-for-saving-money-fo-your-disney-vacation/

"Since it is relatively easy to plan a vacation online you might think that using a travel agent is just going to add to the cost. You can book your flight online, make room reservations online and even buy your tickets online. Too many people think that a travel agent is no longer necessary. Those people are wrong. Travel agents, especially those that specialize in planning Disney vacations, have a wealth of knowledge. They know of discounts and special offers and can even apply those after you are booked if your reservation is eligible and available for that offer. They will also be able to answer your questions and give you advice. When planning your trip to Disney you will want to find an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner because they will have even more special knowledge and insider secrets. You can tell a travel agency is authorized by the special logo with mouse ears on the site.

If you don’t know currently work with a travel agency consider taking a look at our sponsor Magical Vacation Planners (http://www.disneydining.com/contact-us/vacation-quote/) and see what they have to offer. Tell them that disdining.com sent you!"

Even before we got DVC and APs, we never used a TA. Even if it was a little bit more money, I liked learning the ins and outs of the Disney system myself, and I don't trust anyone but myself to jump on new room discounts as quickly as possible.

I think the experience you will have just depends on how good your travel agent is.

My family went on a big trip to Alaska a couple of years ago and my MIL used a travel agent who was a friend of hers. (I know its not Disney but is an example of a travel agent experience). She got all of the family pairs confused and had me listed as the mother of my niece. Then we couldn't board the plane bc I was listed as the guardian for the child that I don't have. She didn't send out itineraries or trip plan information so no one knew what was going on. My MIL had to constantly call her during the trip to find out where we should be and straighten things out. It was a bit of a mess.

On the flip side, I have also heard GREAT things from friends who have used travel agents who specialize in Disney trips so I think it just depends on who you use. If you decide to go with one, I would do some research to find someone highly qualified and specialized in Disney planning.

I personally prefer booking everything myself. I am in control of all of the plans and details, can make my own changes, and can relax more on the trip bc I know what is going on.

For my upcoming solo trip in January, I decided to go with a TA. If I had the time to work on the trip myself, I would, but I just don't right now. My schedule is crazy, and had no time to deal with any changes or issues. I thought I'd have time to do my ADRs myself, but a community event at work ate up all my time, and I ended up giving my ADR wishlist to my TA to set up. Having a good TA has been a trip saver for me.

I always direct book and I've never had a problem. I love planning everything out and finding the best deal for my vacation. I wouldn't have it any other way but I do know a lot of people enjoy working with a travel agent. It's all about preference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter