Travel Changes?

Since you purchased your airfare through ABD, if they cancel you should get a full refund, including your airfare.

If *you* cancel, chances are the ABD Vacation Protection Plan will *not* cover you. Epidemics/pandemics are not covered. The insurance *is* underwritten by another company. ABD is basically just acting as the agent for you. However, if the insurance denies your claim, ABD offers a "Cancel for any reason" coverage separate from the actual policy that will give you a future travel voucher for 75% of your non-refundable trip costs. That actually comes from ABD.

Sorry your going to have to cancel your trip. It's so hard after all this planning and all the expectation. I hope you can work it out for next year!

Sayhello

I'm curious about the insurance (I've never had to make a claim)...if they canceled because her mom's doctor would not clear her mom for travel, would that be considered canceling for a pandemic? Seems like the reason why the doctor would not clear her for travel would be irrelevant (and could be for anything, not necessarily a pandemic).

I'm curious about the insurance (I've never had to make a claim)...if they canceled because her mom's doctor would not clear her mom for travel, would that be considered canceling for a pandemic? Seems like the reason why the doctor would not clear her for travel would be irrelevant (and could be for anything, not necessarily a pandemic).
Good question. That's really something they'd have to ask the insurance company (not ABD). But my guess would be that it wouldn't fly. I'm assuming that her Mom's chronic asthma is not a new thing. The doctor is not saying she can't travel because her asthma has suddenly gotten worse, so she needs to cancel. He's saying she can't travel because she has asthma during a time of pandemic. So the real reason *is* the pandemic. I'm assuming she had the asthma when they booked the trip and purchased the insurance. But it *never* hurts to file a claim and see what happens. They have to do that before they can get the Cancel for any Reason voucher anyways.

Sayhello

I know it was already reported that the June river cruises were cancelled. I just received this update which also lists the escape trips that bookend the cruises:

UPDATE - April 8, 2020: With the wellbeing of our Guests and Guides as our top priority and in line with direction from health experts and government officials, Adventures by Disney along with AmaWaterways has decided to suspend June River Cruises and the associated Escape trips.

All impacted guests and travel agents will be contacted by Adventures by Disney.

Cancelled Trips:

• Rhine River Cruise: 6/14/20
  • Rhine River Cruise: 6/28/20
  • Rhone River Cruise: 6/11/20
  • Seine River Cruise: 6/11/20
  • Danube River Cruise: 6/20/20
  • Danube River Cruise: 6/27/20
  • Amsterdam Escape: 6/21/20
  • Budapest Escape: 6/25/20
  • Paris Escape: 6/9/20
  • Paris Escape: 6/18/20
  • Amsterdam Escape: 7/5/20

• Amsterdam Escape: 7/5/20

First July date...getting closer...we're scheduled (and fully paid) for our first-ever ABD trip (Norway) leaving on 7/4. We actually had our airfare to London (4 days before) already booked on Norwegian but I cancelled those for a refund already due to my concerns that they will even be in business in July (they were one of the first to receive a bailout). Just playing the waiting game now. We've paused on re-booking airfare and planning our pre/post-trip tours and activities. It's all going to hinge on ABD at this point. Truth be told, we'd prefer a cancellation with refund at this point.

First July date...getting closer...we're scheduled (and fully paid) for our first-ever ABD trip (Norway) leaving on 7/4. We actually had our airfare to London (4 days before) already booked on Norwegian but I cancelled those for a refund already due to my concerns that they will even be in business in July (they were one of the first to receive a bailout). Just playing the waiting game now. We've paused on re-booking airfare and planning our pre/post-trip tours and activities. It's all going to hinge on ABD at this point. Truth be told, we'd prefer a cancellation with refund at this point.

They prob only cancelled that one because it was associated with a cruise, right? ABD still hasn't cancelled July trips to NORTHERN Italy yet...so I would imagine your trip to Norway will still be going as of now!
Norway ABD sounds great, btw. One of the ones I'd like to go on...

Just updated again

Adventures by DisneyCoronavirus (COVID-19) Travel Alert

April 9, 2020
IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Adventures by Disney has been closely monitoring the latest information regarding Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and is in constant contact with local, state, national and international health agencies for information and guidance.
With the well-being of our Guests and team members as our top priority, Adventures by Disney has decided to cancel most trips through the end of May 2020. Additionally, the trip departures to China and the 7-Night Alaska Cruise Packages will be cancelled through the end of June 2020. We continue to evaluate the Barcelona Escape (departing May 23, 2020), the 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise Package with Villefranche (departing May 23, 2020) and the 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise Package with Toulon (departing May 30, 2020).
Adventures by Disney and AmaWaterways River Cruise Update
In our continuing effort to ensure the well-being of our Guests and team members, Adventures by Disney along with AmaWaterways, our partner in river cruise sailings, have decided to suspend all river cruise sailings and their associated Escape trips through June 28, 2020.
The following Adventures by Disney River Cruise sailings have been cancelled:
Rhine River Cruise
  • June 14, 2020
  • June 28, 2020
Rhône River Cruise
  • June 11, 2020
Seine River Cruise
  • June 11, 2020
Danube River Cruise
  • June 20, 2020
  • June 27, 2020
Additionally, the following Adventures by Disney Escapes have been cancelled:
  • Amsterdam Escape: June 21; July 5, 2020
  • Budapest Escape: June 25, 2020
  • Paris Escape: June 9 & 18, 2020
Disney Cruise Line Sailings Update
The Canadian government has announced that it will not allow any ship with more than 500 passengers to dock in any Canadian port until July 1, at the earliest. Given that Disney Cruise Line has not been able to secure an alternate homeport, it is necessary to cancel Disney Wonder sailings scheduled to embark and/or debark in Vancouver. Guests currently booked on affected sailings will be offered the choice of a cruise credit to be used for a future sailing within 15 months of their original sail date or a full refund. These Guests and travel agents will receive an email from us outlining details and next steps. The Adventures by Disney 7-Night Alaska cruise package Guests purchased as part of this vacation will automatically be refunded back to original form of payment.
We will be contacting all impacted Guests and Travel Agents. For specific questions, you may also reach out to our Contact Center at (855) 223-0025 or (407) 566-8345.

Sadly this entire thread has been how I felt about ABD For 3 years. I CANNOT wait for my next adventure to simply have my credit with them done so I can MOVE ON. I love Disney but not ABD.

Having vented, sorry, my trip is August Boston. I was ASSURED yesterday that if the plug was pulled I would be refunded in full as my PIF date is early May.

I assume this is true? Not interested in yet another placeholder. Just want my cash....I know cancellations thru May but would you agree what I was told yesterday is accurate? Thanks! Melissa

Sadly this entire thread has been how I felt about ABD For 3 years. I CANNOT wait for my next adventure to simply have my credit with them done so I can MOVE ON. I love Disney but not ABD.

Having vented, sorry, my trip is August Boston. I was ASSURED yesterday that if the plug was pulled I would be refunded in full as my PIF date is early May.

I assume this is true? Not interested in yet another placeholder. Just want my cash....I know cancellations thru May but would you agree what I was told yesterday is accurate? Thanks! Melissa
To my knowledge, for all trips that ABD has cancelled, a full refund has been one of the options offered to folks. (And this has always been true). I got a full refund for my Rhone river cruise that was cancelled for May. The only question is airfare, which will be refunded if you booked through ABD. If you didn't book through ABD, you *may* get rebooking fees covered.

Sayhello

If they cancel it, yes they'll give you a refund. I don't think that's in question. FWIW, if I had to guess, I wouldn't expect it to be cancelled.

I waited a couple of days to post this until I had the money in my bank account so as not to jinx anything (I'm usually just superstitious about college football, lol, really!), but our June Japan trip with Thomson is now cancelled. Huge kudos to our TA for negotiating with Thomson and getting us a full refund of our deposits rather than agreeing to some kind of future trip credit with Thomson. (As an aside, I highly recommend my TA and would be more than happy to provide her contact info to anyone interested -- just PM me.) Our deposit was pretty sizable ($8,216) because we had agreed to put 20% down initially to secure 2017 pricing for our 2020 trip, and then we also had made some smaller incremental deposits when we had Thomson arrange an overnight excursion to Mt. Fuji on the front end of the trip and an extension to Hiroshima on the back end of the trip. Thomson hadn't officially cancelled our departure, but we were the only family left that hadn't bailed out, and it was clear they wanted us to blink and cancel and move our deposit somewhere. My issue in doing that was with the pricing. If we could have moved to 2021, that would have been workable. 2021 prices for Thomson's Japan trip are now $2,000 more per person than the 2017 pricing we had locked in, but they seemed willing to lock us in for 2021 with only a modest price bump over our 2017 pricing that didn't seem unreasonable under the current circumstances. But we already have the Rhine River cruise with Wish extension booked for July 2021. I thought about moving that one, but even though I'm not sure when I will be ready to step foot on a large cruise ship again, I'm still really interested in seeing the Wish being built and didn't want to lose that opportunity. We will most likely do Japan in 2022, but Thomson wasn't as willing to work with us on pricing for 2022, and I didn't want to let them hold on to our money for another 2 years if we weren't guaranteed favorable pricing in 2022. Plus, our kids will be 18 and 20 in 2022, so it will be nice to have the flexibility of picking a non-family-oriented Japan trip if that appeals to us at the time. I still see re-booking with Thomson for a 2022 trip as a significant possibility, since I really do like their itinerary, and they have the ability to design add-ons and extensions that I really like. But, for now, I'm glad to have all of our options open for 2022 and to have the cold, hard cash back in my bank account. (As another aside, I'm super happy Thomson offered to ACH the funds directly into our account. They also offered to refund the credit card we had paid the deposits with, but that would have been A LOT of points to give back to Chase and a large credit to need to work through, so the ACH was ideal.) Now on to the very not fun part of cancelling plane and hotel reservations. Hotels should be easy, since the Hilton Tokyo Bay is on points and there are no cancel restrictions. We also booked one night at the Tokyo Station Hotel, but that one is also cancellable, and I haven't paid anything yet. We have two positioning flights booked with United miles (Osaka to Tokyo on ANA and LAX to BOI), but it looks like United is now allowing cancellations of award bookings with no re-deposit fee, so those should be ok too. The flights I am absolutely dreading dealing with are our JAL flights booked with Qantas miles. Not that Qantas has been difficult to deal with, but even quite a while before this pandemic started, I needed to call Qantas regarding a schedule change with one of those JAL flights, and it was a 3-hour hold time to get through on multiple occasions! I can't even imagine what hold times are like now. And Qantas only has a call-back option if you have an Australian or New Zealand mobile number, which I don't have. Needless to say, I'm going to wait until much closer to those flight dates to deal with cancelling and hope hope hope that JAL cancels the flights first!

I waited a couple of days to post this until I had the money in my bank account so as not to jinx anything (I'm usually just superstitious about college football, lol, really!), but our June Japan trip with Thomson is now cancelled. Huge kudos to our TA for negotiating with Thomson and getting us a full refund of our deposits rather than agreeing to some kind of future trip credit with Thomson. (As an aside, I highly recommend my TA and would be more than happy to provide her contact info to anyone interested -- just PM me.) Our deposit was pretty sizable ($8,216) because we had agreed to put 20% down initially to secure 2017 pricing for our 2020 trip, and then we also had made some smaller incremental deposits when we had Thomson arrange an overnight excursion to Mt. Fuji on the front end of the trip and an extension to Hiroshima on the back end of the trip. Thomson hadn't officially cancelled our departure, but we were the only family left that hadn't bailed out, and it was clear they wanted us to blink and cancel and move our deposit somewhere. My issue in doing that was with the pricing. If we could have moved to 2021, that would have been workable. 2021 prices for Thomson's Japan trip are now $2,000 more per person than the 2017 pricing we had locked in, but they seemed willing to lock us in for 2021 with only a modest price bump over our 2017 pricing that didn't seem unreasonable under the current circumstances. But we already have the Rhine River cruise with Wish extension booked for July 2021. I thought about moving that one, but even though I'm not sure when I will be ready to step foot on a large cruise ship again, I'm still really interested in seeing the Wish being built and didn't want to lose that opportunity. We will most likely do Japan in 2022, but Thomson wasn't as willing to work with us on pricing for 2022, and I didn't want to let them hold on to our money for another 2 years if we weren't guaranteed favorable pricing in 2022. Plus, our kids will be 18 and 20 in 2022, so it will be nice to have the flexibility of picking a non-family-oriented Japan trip if that appeals to us at the time. I still see re-booking with Thomson for a 2022 trip as a significant possibility, since I really do like their itinerary, and they have the ability to design add-ons and extensions that I really like. But, for now, I'm glad to have all of our options open for 2022 and to have the cold, hard cash back in my bank account. (As another aside, I'm super happy Thomson offered to ACH the funds directly into our account. They also offered to refund the credit card we had paid the deposits with, but that would have been A LOT of points to give back to Chase and a large credit to need to work through, so the ACH was ideal.) Now on to the very not fun part of cancelling plane and hotel reservations. Hotels should be easy, since the Hilton Tokyo Bay is on points and there are no cancel restrictions. We also booked one night at the Tokyo Station Hotel, but that one is also cancellable, and I haven't paid anything yet. We have two positioning flights booked with United miles (Osaka to Tokyo on ANA and LAX to BOI), but it looks like United is now allowing cancellations of award bookings with no re-deposit fee, so those should be ok too. The flights I am absolutely dreading dealing with are our JAL flights booked with Qantas miles. Not that Qantas has been difficult to deal with, but even quite a while before this pandemic started, I needed to call Qantas regarding a schedule change with one of those JAL flights, and it was a 3-hour hold time to get through on multiple occasions! I can't even imagine what hold times are like now. And Qantas only has a call-back option if you have an Australian or New Zealand mobile number, which I don't have. Needless to say, I'm going to wait until much closer to those flight dates to deal with cancelling and hope hope hope that JAL cancels the flights first!
Is your Qantas flight to/from USA? If so, it might fall under the refund DOT policy, however you'd probably have to wait to see if it applies to June trips? Overall a positive refund experience! I had the same experience when we cancelled a summer ABD Asia trip. We were offered a partial refund on Vietnam Air and took it. I filed the rest of the non-refundable fees with my cancel for any reason insurance, which I have yet to hear and it's been over a month since I filled the claim. Wish I would have booked ABD Air, but nevertheless we had minimal loss.

Is your Qantas flight to/from USA? If so, it might fall under the refund DOT policy, however you'd probably have to wait to see if it applies to June trips? Overall a positive refund experience! I had the same experience when we cancelled a summer ABD Asia trip. We were offered a partial refund on Vietnam Air and took it. I filed the rest of the non-refundable fees with my cancel for any reason insurance, which I have yet to hear and it's been over a month since I filled the claim. Wish I would have booked ABD Air, but nevertheless we had minimal loss.

These are actually JAL flights booked using Qantas miles, but they do originate/end in the U.S. Outbound was SFO to Tokyo Haneda, and inbound was Tokyo Narita to LAX. I'm not too worried on the refund front. The worst we are looking at is a redeposit fee for the Qantas miles, and taxes/fees would then be refunded. But I'm hopeful that we won't even have to pay a redeposit fee (and certainly if JAL cancels the flights, I will fight any redeposit fee). The reason I don't want to call Qantas is just because of the horrible hold times. My hoping that JAL cancels the flights is that it might automatically trigger a redeposit of my miles and refund of taxes/fees without having to call...

Update: I just cancelled the two sets of positioning flights for our now-cancelled Japan trip that I had booked as award flights using United miles and can confirm no redeposit fee was charged. The miles are already back in my account. Only one of the reservations had taxes/fees in the amount of $22.40 total that will be refunded to my credit card. I have also cancelled our Hilton Tokyo Bay reservation, and those Hilton points are already back in my account. Likewise, I have cancelled our Tokyo Station Hotel ressie with no cancellation penalty. Now the waiting game on the JAL flights....

So this new CDC "No Sail Order" for 100 days extends to mid July (originally 30 days from March 14).

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html
Does this affect cruises in only US waters or also river cruises in Europe? It seems that it's only a matter of time until July trips are cancelled.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5265/
I'm pretty sure it's only for ships in US waters. I can't imagine how the US CDC could control a river in Europe.

Sayhello

So this new CDC "No Sail Order" for 100 days extends to mid July (originally 30 days from March 14).

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html
Does this affect cruises in only US waters or also river cruises in Europe? It seems that it's only a matter of time until July trips are cancelled.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5265/

The CDC announcement is only for waters under US jurisdiction. I have an ABD Rhine cruise booked in August. I have been watching the AmaWaterways site for cancellations (you probably know, those are the ships ABD uses for their river cruises) and also watching the global updates on NYTimes and other sources to track individual country's lockdown policies. For example, it appears Germany will be making an announcement at some point next week regarding the possible extension or easing of lockdown measures. I will keep my eye out for that.

Right now I have a trip booked to Japan that starts July 5th. I have PIF, so if ABD cancels, I would get a refund or have the chance to apply those funds for a trip next year? I have not booked the flights yet so I don't have to worry about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter