Travel Changes?

So if your private hotel rooms are cancelled...that probably also means the ABD pre-day hotel is closed....and in the wonderful world of Disney miscommunications, lets look at their current posting. Your/our trip begins on May 14. All ABD trips are cancelled through the end of April. Their guidance states,

"ADDITIONAL SCREENING MEASURES
Currently, we plan to move forward with any trip not listed above.

However, we will continue to make adjustments as necessary and will notify Guests immediately should there be changes to their itinerary. At this time, the following guidelines are in effect for all trips and will continue to evolve as more information becomes available:
Any Guest or guide who has traveled from, to or through the following countries within 14 days of their trip’s departure will not be able to travel with Adventures by Disney: Austria, Belgium, China, including Hong Kong and Macau, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City.
Any Guest who has been in contact with someone from these areas, including Guests with connecting flights in these locations, also will not be able to travel, nor will anyone who has helped care for someone suspected of having or has been diagnosed with coronavirus (COVID-19), or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure." (Emphasis added).

So if you arrive early or have a pre-day with this France trip, you will not be able to travel with ABD through France. Lovely, just lovely.
Say *what*??? We can't travel *through* France, but we can travel *to* France?? And have a trip in France?? That really makes NO sense! :guilty: I have a headache now.

Sayhello

Not to excuse ABD, because I think some of the decisions they've made have been beyond stupid and disrespectful to their customers, BUT...

I wonder if they simply don't have the cash flow to give refunds out beyond a certain time period right now. And they aren't significantly delaying PIF dates because they need that cash flow and are hedging their bets that this will all be over sooner rather than later.

ABD is very small compared to DCL and Disney Parks, and they rely exclusively on third party vendors. Other than the guides, ABD doesn't provide any services - everything is contracted out.

All those third-party vendors are paid in advance. I'm guessing that none of them, and ESPECIALLY those in the hardest hit areas, are willing to give ABD any refunds.

I say this because a co-worker of mine is (was?) supposed to get married in Italy in early May. She said cancelling outright is simply not an option because they can't get any of their money back. Frankly, their vendors need whatever cash they already have to survive. The best she can do is reschedule.

Now, ABD is part of a much larger and wealthier company, but usually companies that are broken up into divisions like this don't just pass money back and forth willy-nilly.

Same thing goes for the airlines. They simply can't afford to issue refunds because they have very little income coming in, so the most they will do is issue a credit...that has to be used by your original booking date. Many people book big trips months in advance. If the airlines end up cutting back on flights the way they are anticipating, there are going to be a lot of customers who simply won't be able to use those credits before they expire because there aren't enough flights.

I'm also concerned about the scenario where you have a trip PIF or PIF is quickly coming due, but you simply can't get a flight to where you need to go.

Tauck has the same challenges as ABD, but they are their own stand-alone company, and they are much bigger than ABD. I suspect Nat Geo is in a similar position to ABD.

Tauck has the same challenges as ABD, but they are their own stand-alone company, and they are much bigger than ABD. I suspect Nat Geo is in a similar position to ABD.

Tauck has also been around much much longer than ABD. They have learned over more years than ABD

As for ABD's cash flow- I suspect you may be right... but if you are, that's poor business planning by the Mouse House.

Say *what*??? We can't travel *through* France, but we can travel *to* France?? And have a trip in France?? That really makes NO sense! :guilty: I have a headache now.

Sayhello

As Griffdog noted, if the hotel is canceled for you, it's probably gonna be canceled for ABD. I don't see this trip going. I don't see any Europe trips, especially to Italy, Spain or France this year at all.

As Griffdog noted, if the hotel is canceled for you, it's probably gonna be canceled for ABD. I don't see this trip going. I don't see any Europe trips, especially to Italy, Spain or France this year at all.
This is not the ABD hotel. I'm staying in Paris OYO for a couple of days (after a few days in Normandy) before heading down to Lyon (with Mr & Mrs Grifdog) to catch the Rhone river cruise. Who knows what's going on in Lyon.

I have a feeling this trip won't go, also. But as I said to Mrs Grifdog, the suspense is killing me!

Sayhello

Last edited:
So if your private hotel rooms are cancelled...that probably also means the ABD pre-day hotel is closed....and in the wonderful world of Disney miscommunications, lets look at their current posting. Your/our trip begins on May 14. All ABD trips are cancelled through the end of April. Their guidance states,

"ADDITIONAL SCREENING MEASURES
Currently, we plan to move forward with any trip not listed above.

However, we will continue to make adjustments as necessary and will notify Guests immediately should there be changes to their itinerary. At this time, the following guidelines are in effect for all trips and will continue to evolve as more information becomes available:
Any Guest or guide who has traveled from, to or through the following countries within 14 days of their trip’s departure will not be able to travel with Adventures by Disney: Austria, Belgium, China, including Hong Kong and Macau, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City.
Any Guest who has been in contact with someone from these areas, including Guests with connecting flights in these locations, also will not be able to travel, nor will anyone who has helped care for someone suspected of having or has been diagnosed with coronavirus (COVID-19), or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure." (Emphasis added).

So if you arrive early or have a pre-day with this France trip, you will not be able to travel with ABD through France. Lovely, just lovely.

omg. So, we are supposed to fly to Switzerland to get on the ABD Rhine Cruise. How does that work if we are then disallowed to travel with ABD?! This is ridiculous. I have to call them within the next few days to decide what I'm doing about my July SoCal/DL trip as PIF is due on Saturday. I'm going to ask them how they expect us to fly to these countries if we then can't go on the ABD.

omg. So, we are supposed to fly to Switzerland to get on the ABD Rhine Cruise. How does that work if we are then disallowed to travel with ABD?! This is ridiculous. I have to call them within the next few days to decide what I'm doing about my July SoCal/DL trip as PIF is due on Saturday. I'm going to ask them how they expect us to fly to these countries if we then can't go on the ABD.
I've emailed my TA to have her ask ABD this question.

Sayhello

I wonder if they simply don't have the cash flow to give refunds out beyond a certain time period right now.

First off, I'm a big Robert Iger fan and a Disney stock holder.

And I totally understand what you're saying with regards to business units running in P/L and cash flow silos and this is an unprecedented situation. BUT this is Disney we're talking about—one of the largest companies in the world. They have the money and CAN move cash between business units if they desire. Or if they prefer, they can access money at very low interest rates (the Fed just went to 0%) through a myriad of sources (short term paper, bonds, etc.). Disney is very smart with their financing decisions and their bond rating is in the "A" range. They do not over leverage. What I'm trying to say is that Disney is probably in better shape than most Fortune 500 companies. They prepared, now they should step up to preserve their brand for the long haul.

If Disney wants to trash their brand over this they can—Adventures By Disney has "Disney" right there in the name. That's the brand folks will remember didn't live up to their reputation.
I know, based on the stories and reactions I see here on DISboards, that I am now more inclined in the future to use Tauck instead of ABD.

PS-Obviously Disney is getting hammered from all sides—their parks are closed, their cruise ships are docked, ESPN doesn't have any live content (March Madness!), movie theaters are closed, etc. Their execs are going goofy (pardon the bad joke). But they can survive and preserve and even enhance their brand in the process.

Last edited:

The Basel Airport is in France. But that doesn't help since France is disallowed as well. :(

Been following. Have a trip to Ireland with Thomson Family for June. PIF due 3/27. Haven’t heard from them and I haven’t reached out.

Been following. Have a trip to Ireland with Thomson Family for June. PIF due 3/27. Haven’t heard from them and I haven’t reached out.

We have a trip scheduled to the Azores with Thomson scheduled for August. My 120 day mark is approaching, which is their normal deadline for moving a deposit. I emailed them yesterday and they replied pretty quickly that they were shortening that deadline to 60 days. Pay in full is still 90 days, but the entire payment can be moved up to 60 days. I suggest reaching out via email.

We have a trip scheduled to the Azores with Thomson scheduled for August. My 120 day mark is approaching, which is their normal deadline for moving a deposit. I emailed them yesterday and they replied pretty quickly that they were shortening that deadline to 60 days. Pay in full is still 90 days, but the entire payment can be moved up to 60 days. I suggest reaching out via email.

We already bought bought our flights. With seven people, we’re more financially invested in the airfare than our deposit.
As I am sure you know, Thomson Family doesn’t manage air travel. We went through Exito Travel. Tickets are non-refundable although they can be exchanged with penalties.
I think we are just going all in and hope it works out

I've emailed my TA to have her ask ABD this question.

Sayhello

All You will NOT be Flying into Europe ALL Non E.U. will be turned Back

Look at your CNN News re Shut down in France Germany Etc

Here in Cork Ireland we are shut down . No Bars And ALL Schools Shut

No St.Patrick' Day Parade NO CHURCH Services

Cruise Liners Will Not be allowed to disembark passengers

There will be very few aircraft Flying anywhere anyway

I live in Ireland ( Cork ) We are Shut down

NO TOURIST Sights open , NO Drinking places open ........ etc.

NO St.Patrick's Day parade . NO sporting events

This could last for several months

I WOULD NOT PAY IN FULL on 27th March Try Rechedual for September or Next Year

The Basel Airport is in France. But that doesn't help since France is disallowed as well. :(

LOL - good point! We were going to fly into Zurich a few days before and stay in Lucerne. No matter how you slice this, I'm not sure how I fly into any country in Europe and get on a cruise in Basel based on ABD's current criteria.

Quick question: Is Disney offering full refunds on cancelled trips or just credits for a future trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter