Travel Insurance

I bought it through Disney the first time I stayed on property.
I've declined it every time since.
I find their cancellation policy works well enough for me if I do need to cancel. (I never have needed to)

I do get it if I buy a package but not through Disney. I go to insure my trip and get a quote.

Carefully read what is covered and what is not covered if there are specific things you are worried about. The term pandemic is usually excluded from most insurance.

I never have for Orlando, but for me I usually am flying Southwest, so can if I cancel flights use the travel funds for something else. We live in the US, so our medical insurance covers us in Orlando. Unused tickets can be used on another day and applied in the case of Disney to another year with just paying the difference. The one thing that I would usually be out on a Disney trip might be a condo rental from an owner (maybe 1K or something like that), but that's a low enough amount for me that I can self insure. And sometimes for shorter trips all I have for lodging is a hotel that is fully refundable. I have not had to cancel a trip that I have booked yet and have been coming to the parks since 1971, but "knock on wood" with that comment. We always stay offsite.

I buy travel insurance for cruises and for international travel. The main thing I am always concerned about is medical insurance and med evac insurance. That's the part that I can't just self insure, too much of a financial risk. If I am just buying medical and medical evac, I often go with GeoBlue. At least pre-pandemic it was good coverage and really inexpensive if you're young, but could be cost prohibitive from then if you are older. For comprehensive travel insurance (If I want that), I usually go thru a broker from a site like insure my trip, after I have an idea of what I want. (If you are looking to be able to cancel a trip for any reason, you would need a cancel for any reason policy and these are pretty pricy and maybe refund you something like 60-75% of your costs if you decide not to go). I am considering this when we eventually do the trip we were planning to Paris and Belfast in 2020 that was canceled, something more like a "once in a lifetime trip" with larger expenses than I would want to self insure for (e.g. super expensive non-refundable airline tickets, etc.) We aren't trying this in 2021 or 2022 (have to see borders open, some herd immunity, etc.). We are just sticking to the good ole' USA for 2021 and 2022. Have to see how things look in 2022 and maybe?? I'll rebook this for 2023 (cautiously optimistic). I just don't have the heart to book any travel that I don't think I have at least a 95% chance of going.

We have purchased it in the past and found it wasn't worth it. Too many outs for them to not pay.
Seemed to be like playing roulette, the house wins every time.

I do. I’ve never had to use it for Disney, but o did have to use it when a hurricane canceled a Myrtle Beach trip a few years ago. The insurance covered the full rental price of the condo we had booked.

as for Disney, I always get some kind of insurance mainly due to my mother being elderly and having potential health problems that would cause us to cut our trip short. I usually get it through Disney, but went through Allianz two years ago when I did a split Disney/Universal trip.

Did you buy Travel Insurance for your Disney Trip? Where did you buy it?
I've stepped foot on 6 of the 7 continents, dozens of disney trips, probably a dozen cruises and domestically from the west to the east coast and have never bought travel insurance once.

I get some protection with the credit cards I use, avoid non refundable fees and am in good health. Maybe I'll need it at some point but whatever Ive saved over the years not getting it will likely call me even.

The bottom line is make sure you get a policy that covers exactly what you think it does.

After a family death the day before a trip started, I get the insurance...I book through Disney and get their plan. Have not needed it but hey, it’s insurance...and the price isn’t bad...I think it was $67 for my next week long trip...

To me its a no brainer if traveling outside of the US. Paying special attention to the medical and medical evac portion of the policy. This in itself can devastate someone financially. No one has the ability to predict when the worse can happen. Google medical evacuation costs from other countries and you'll understand.
If you can't afford to lose your vacation investment get insurance.

I used to many years ago. I would buy it with the Travel Agency we used. I have also just purchased it in the past just for air.

Now, we only purchase for international traveling and any cruising.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter