• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel Insurance

wendydarling826

DIS Veteran
I’ve never purchased travel insurance, but since we will be traveling during hurricane season, I’m considering it. Has anyone found a policy that will cover the value of the points you lost and not just the dues? In looking at sites that offer quotes, they ask for the total cost of the trip. How do I calculate the value of points I’m using for the trip?

Disney Vacation Club and Disney will not take your points in the event of a hurricane. They will credit your account and you can use your points another time. The airlines will also give you credit of they need to cancel due to weather. I wouldn’t bother taking out travel insurance. Now if this was a cruise my answer would be different.

Disney Vacation Club and Disney will not take your points in the event of a hurricane. They will credit your account and you can use your points another time. The airlines will also give you credit of they need to cancel due to weather. I wouldn’t bother taking out travel insurance. Now if this was a cruise my answer would be different.

While DVC does do all that they can to support owners during weather related situations like hurricanes, and will let people cancel without holding penalties and such, there Is still a chance someone could lose points.

For example, If someone is traveling on banked points, they can’t be banked again and an owner may not be able to travel before they expire.

So. I do think there is good reason to buy insurance if you want to at least know you get something if points end up lost.

I have not heard of any insurance company that would pay for the value of the points since that's not what you paid. I think one person was successful in getting an insurance payout for the amount he (or she) paid to the vacation rental company since that's the value that he/she paid

Are you a DVC member, or are you renting points? DVC owners can buy a policy that covers them for the entire use year. I believe it costs $99.

Are you a DVC member, or are you renting points? DVC owners can buy a policy that covers them for the entire use year. I believe it costs $99.

That policy only reimburses you for the dues on the points. OP is looking for a policy that would cover more.

Travel insurance is a smart move, especially during hurricane season. When it comes to coverage for points, it can vary among policies. Some might cover the value of lost points, but you'll have to check the details. As for calculating the points' worth, try estimating the cash value of the flights/hotels you'd book with points. Don't forget to include any fees or taxes. You can always reach out to the insurance provider or visit https://tiendasagicor.com/ for more info. Safe travels, and have an amazing trip! 🌴✈️

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter