Travel shaming. Are you limiting your social media posts?

In my case, I went from Texas to Florida. So one hot spot to another. I would have been at the same risk if I vacationed at home. BTW, I tested negative before we left and 2 weeks after we returned.
Same here. Louisiana to FL & we drove & stopped very little. We quarantined for 2 weeks after to be safe & none of us got sick.

Not that I'm shaming anyone for going but I don't understand why any one would want to travel to a hot spot. While it may you may be safe at Disney you still have to travel to get there. Why not take a vacation near home.
I'm going from Georgia to Florida, and currently living in an apartment while our house is being built with neighbors who go to and from Florida every single dang weekend (they're from Florida). Florida people here all the time. I mean all. the. time. I might as well be in Florida. Aside from just being surrounded by Florida people as soon as I walk out of my door, I can drive there and only need to stop once for gas where I will wear a mask, pay at pump, get back in my car. I'll stay in the bubble, and then drive back. If I vacationed closer to home I can guarantee it would probably be more crowded, spotty mask compliance at best, and far less sanitizing going on. Not like I'm coming from middle of nowhere Alaska.

I was limiting what I said about our travels... then I decided I just don't care and have been ignoring or unfriending the shamers. I'm over it. I'm done censoring myself because of the judgmental busybodies out there. At this point, nothing we've done has been remotely high risk - lots of hiking and mostly empty beaches, in our own state - and I'm over the whole dynamic I'm seeing where people justify the risks that matter to them while judging people for taking other risks that they deem "not worth it".

I agree with those who feel that if there is any travel shaming going on it has nothing to do with who is working and who is not and everything to do with people's opinions on safety precautions during the pandemic.

We have a trip to WDW planned for this coming January. I'm not sorry about it. I don't care if people want to shame me about it. If they shame me on my personal social media, well, then they get put in my social media time out for awhile. Virtue signalers elsewhere can go complain about it with somebody else instead. The past year + have been challenging for our family. I've dealt with frickin' breast cancer and getting a double mastectomy last summer. This summer we had fun plans to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. That got cancelled, of course, for obvious reasons. I'm totally stressed out about work. DH is stressed out about his work. My MIL is a narcissistic needy person who thinks that the world revolves around her. And then there's trying to balance telecommuting full time while also being the urgent on demand school tech support here at home for my 2 kids, too.

Stick a fork in me because I'm done. I'm stressed out and I need a little break. A 6 day break in which we're going to go to one of our happy places. Where DH (hopefully, if it's done with refurbs by then) can go on the Peoplemover again. Where we can reminisce the days when we were kids and Disneyland still had Country Bear Jamboree and the Carousel of Progress....we're super excited about doing all of that "boring" stuff at WDW.

Anyone who doesn't like it is welcome to unfriend or unfollow me. Individuals on message boards who don't like it can put me on their ignore list.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. I had a DMX 2 years ago. It was in 6th place of crappy life events that year. I'm so sorry you had to deal with it too. I honestly think it has given me strength to deal with coronavirus. When you have so much stress, it's hard to stress about anything else. Anyway, best wishes on your trip!! And please splurge on some things before then. Maybe a spa visit, a fancy restaurant, a getaway close by before your trip.

We cancelled our trips this year and are just trying to do outdoor activities because that is what our family feels comfortable doing right now. We are supposed to be on vacation right now, in fact. :( The kids will have virtual school and DH and I will work from home until the end of January. I am looking forward to a couple of really great trips next summer, if not before.

While I think hyping up any vacation on social media right now ranges from tacky to downright irresponsible, it’s all a personal choice. However those you might see upon return deserve to know you’ve been to a MAJOR hotspot, so keeping it a secret and returning to life as usual isn’t okay. Quarantining or testing upon return is the only way to ensure safety. Stop with the ‘safer than my grocery store’ nonsense. No one spends 8-10 hours a day at their grocery store not to mention grocery stores are essential, WDW is not. Regardless of safety, exposing yourself to thousands of people is an issue right now whether you want to admit it or not. We went to wdw recently, somewhat regret it, and have dealt with the blowback from that. I’m not too proud to ignore the repercussions. Make your choice, but also be responsible enough to understand that it may cause issue and you need to graciously deal with that.

Last edited:
I agree with those who feel that if there is any travel shaming going on it has nothing to do with who is working and who is not and everything to do with people's opinions on safety precautions during the pandemic.

This is where I am personally. I'm not jealous of anyone doing it - I have time off and enough money to go wherever I want, but I wouldn't really enjoy myself so it's not worth the cost to me. I have a bunch of friends who have traveled, most of whom are going about it in a responsible way. They post pictures and talk about it and I haven't seen anyone shaming them - silently judging, maybe? IDK.

I only know one person who's been grossly irresponsible. As in traveled after their S.O. tested positive and didn't wait for their COVID test results before leaving, traveled to a hot spot, ate out a ton, came home and didn't quarantine, proceeded to go to work in close proximity to other people. Now she's out traveling again, less than 2 weeks after she returned from her last trip. Honestly, her behavior has surprised me. This is why I don't think I'd enjoy traveling/going to the movies/etc., because you can't trust anyone - even the people you used to trust! LOL

The US is doing horribly compared to everyone else, but that's another thread altogether.

Just sharing my personal view as someone who can't leave the house for medical reasons. People seem to forget about families like ours when they are out and about living their lives.

While I think there are plenty who are doing irresponsible vacations, that attitude isn’t true of everybody. We have been very conservative at home and remained just as conservative on our trip. But my mental health needed it. I was in a very dark place and I refuse to accept that my mental health is less important than my physical health. That said, I won’t let my mental health put others at risk by making stupid decisions just to make it better. I happened to find a way I could do both.
While I think hyping up any vacation on social media right now ranges from tacky to downright irresponsible, it’s all a personal choice.
Why? Or is everybody lumping all vacations into WDW? There is a wide range of trips people are making and not all of them are going to amusement parks in hot spots.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
While I think hyping up any vacation on social media right now ranges from tacky to downright irresponsible, it’s all a personal choice. However those you might see upon return deserve to know you’ve been to a MAJOR hotspot, so keeping it a secret and returning to life as usual isn’t okay. Quarantining or testing upon return is the only way to ensure safety. Stop with the ‘safer than my grocery store’ nonsense. No one spends 8-10 hours a day at their grocery store not to mention grocery stores are essential, WDW is not. Regardless of safety, exposing yourself to thousands of people is an issue right now whether you want to admit it or not. We went to wdw recently, somewhat regret it, and have dealt with the blowback from that. I’m not too proud to ignore the repercussions. Make your choice, but also be responsible enough to understand that it may cause issue and you need to graciously deal with that.

Lots of people spend 8-10 hours per day in grocery stores. They’re called grocery store employees.

But everything is too dangerous unless it’s someone that does something that is necessary for someone else to sit at home.

While I think there are plenty who are doing irresponsible vacations, that attitude isn’t true of everybody. We have been very conservative at home and remained just as conservative on our trip. But my mental health needed it. I was in a very dark place and I refuse to accept that my mental health is less important than my physical health. That said, I won’t let my mental health out others at risk by making stupid decisions just to make it better. I happened to find a way I could do both.

Why? Or is everybody lumping all vacations info WDW? There is wide range of trips people are making and not all of them are going to amusement parks in hot spots.
I agree that not everyone is going to amusement parks in hot spots. I have taken 2 vacations this summer as it was much needed. I chose places that were not busy or a hot spot. One week so spent at my trailer and the other I went to a mountain city to relax. Those things are what many are ok with. People going to national parks is fine with most. I think the people that do get shamed are the ones who either visit hot spots or go to places that has many people like a beach.

We drove from Texas to Florida 4 weeks ago. We were careful, wore masks, washed hands, etc. We didn't get sick or infect anyone else. We were in the parks every day for a week, We ate in restaurants at Disney World every day, Nothing dangerous or irresponsible about it. We had an amazing trip and would do it again. No regrets. If you are on the fence, go enjoy yourselves.

Why? Or is everybody lumping all vacations info WDW? There is wide range of trips people are making and not all of them are going to amusement parks in hot spots.

Very true, not everyone is traveling to WDW or another Amusement Park. Our travels aren't taking us there.

Umm, it's not about having enough money to travel. It's about spreading a deadly virus through your travels. Yes, if you are travelling then you are selfish. Why do you think Florida's numbers are so high. It's because of people being out and about that the rest of us can't go anywhere. I'll shame you and then some.
I agree with this. I don't care who travels,except this.:rolleyes1 This silly word "shaming" is just another way to say 'call out'.... I can literally travel anywhere in the world that I want to right now,(using points,so for free) if I wanted to. I firmly believe that spreading this thing is a bad idea. I don;t really want to see people travel pics right now,it makes me horrified and sad that peoples choices are probably causing more misery for the country at large.For a short term benefit. So I don't personally say anything about friends doing such things....but I usually choose to avoid looking at such things too. I do certain day trips within my own state to enjoy the great outdoors,and yes I do limit any postings for the sake of my friends who may not wish to see these things.

I agree with this. I don't care who travels,except this.:rolleyes1 This silly word "shaming" is just another way to say 'call out'.... I can literally travel anywhere in the world that I want to right now,(using points,so for free) if I wanted to. I firmly believe that spreading this thing is a bad idea. I don;t really want to see people travel pics right now,it makes me horrified and sad that peoples choices are probably causing more misery for the country at large.For a short term benefit. So I don't personally say anything about friends doing such things....but I usually choose to avoid looking at such things too. I do certain day trips within my own state to enjoy the great outdoors,and yes I do limit any postings for the sake of my friends who may not wish to see these things.
How can you travel anywhere in the world with all the travel restrictions?

I can literally travel anywhere in the world that I want to right now,(using points,so for free) if I wanted to.

Not exactly true. These are the only countries that you as an American can travel to as a tourist right now
  1. Albania
  2. Antigua and Barbuda
  3. Aruba
  4. Barbados
  5. Belarus
  6. Bermuda
  7. Brazil
  8. Croatia
  9. Dominica
  10. Dominican Republic
  11. Egypt
  12. Tahiti & Bora Bora
  13. Grenada
  14. Haiti
  15. Jamaica
  16. Maldives
  17. Mexico
  18. North Macedonia
  19. Rwanda
  20. Serbia
  21. St. Barths
  22. St Lucia
  23. St. Maarten
  24. St. Vincent and The Grenadines
  25. Tanzania
  26. Turkey
  27. Turks & Caicos
  28. UAE (Dubai)
  29. Ukraine
  30. US Virgin Islands
Basically USA tourists can only travel to The Caribbean Island countries, some Eastern Europe countries which are not in The EU , a few African countries and a few South American / Pacific Island countries
https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-that-have-reopened-for-american-tourists/

My family did a family reunion trip 1,100 miles away. I was hesitant about posting only because other people would not know the precautions that we did take. But then I decided that I would post once (on instagram) and if people commented or asked I would explain that at least 1 person from each household was able to get tested and tested negative, we went to stay at some old lake cabins we've been going to for years, and we all wore masks during the first 3 days until all test results were back. One of the big concerns that my mom and I had was that my grandparents would get sick, we would have stayed home because we were afraid to get them sick (even though my family has taken this the most seriously), and then we wouldn't ever be able to see them again. Everyone is at a different level of comfort and now we are isolating for 14 days (halfway through!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter