Travelers Checks

bullcat_02

Mouseketeer
I was just wondering what are the best denominations of travelers checks to take to WDW for my trip next May.
I need all the advice you vets can give to me. Thanks a bunch!

I would say mostly 20's and maybe 4 or so 50's. That's what I would do.

I normally take a few 20's and mostly 50's. This way you can get some change back to use for little things. (drinks, small soveniers, etc.)

You know, we used to take Travelers Checks, but our last 2 or 3 trips, we have just been putting the money into our checking acccount and using the ATM when we are there and need cash. We always stay on property, so we charge as much as possible right to the room. If we do need cash though, there are ATMs conveniently all around.

As much as I love my check card....I wouldn't fully rely on it for one simple reason....machines go down and then what? I had a very close call last year, another man at my bank reported his card stolen and the bank cancelled the card, but they didn't cancel his card, they cancelled my husband's because they had the same name and lastname. We found out when the card was declined in a local store and called the bank, the customer service rep told me nicely that I had a "stolen" card!! imagine my surprise, they figured it out the next day but I was 6 days away from going to WDW and I had to wait until they sent us a new one!! We got another one 4 days later but what would have happened if we were in WDW by then? we would have been in real trouble then!! what we do is take half of it in travellers checks , take some cash and the rest in the bank, we pay with travellers checks upon check in so we can charge to the room and keep the rest with us.

We usually just bring $50's. Changing a $50 is no problem anywhere at wdw & it means fewer transaction for you. However if I remember corrrectly(haven't gotten any in over 2 yrs) the toal amount of traveler's checks you want may dictate what form you get them in. IE I think if you only want $100-$200 they will have to be in $20's. That you wd need to get $300 or more for $50's. But that could have changed by now. We also bring some cash with us right from the beginning in small bills for tips for luggage handling, parking, etc & rolls of quarters for laundry, arcades & pressed penny machines. We always use traveler's checks on vacation & we do use a credit card as well. But I don't like to rely on just one form of payment either. As far as ATM's go I won't use them elsewhere because I refuse to give up my money in fees.

We usually take some TC, but I found that using my debit card is a much better way to go for me. If something was to happen to my card and I couldn't us it I could use a credit card. We usually have some cash for small things drinks or snacks, but use the debit card for everything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter