Traveling during hurricane season??

A01

Earning My Ears
Has anyone traveled on any ship during the hurricane season and I was curious to how the Disney cruiseline works if you are scheduled to go say St.Martin do they switch and go to Cancun instead or how does that work?

Last year, they cancelled several cruises.

They can also reroute as necessary with little to no notice per the contract.

Reroutes are going to depend on cruise length, and if it is ad hoc during the cruise, or planned in advance.

Trip insurance is a must.

We were on the Fantasy western Caribbean in October 2016. Instead of going to Castaway Cay, we just went to Cozumel twice. We also got an extra day, so it turned into an 8 night cruise instead of a 7 night. They gave out free phone time from your room so that you could call and change your flight arrangements since we were getting back a day later. On the last night they hugged the Florida coast while heading up to Port Canaveral so that you could pick up U.S. cell tower service and make flight/travel changes via your phone. Everything was handled pretty well with the exception of the debarkation herd when trying to get off once back at port. The Dream was already at port and had to move out so that we could port at DCL's only terminal. It was cool seeing both ships together, you don't get to see that very often.

One year we were on a four night to the Bahamas; DCL changed CC and Nassau days to avoid an approaching hurricane.

Last year, they cancelled several cruises.

They can also reroute as necessary with little to no notice per the contract.

Reroutes are going to depend on cruise length, and if it is ad hoc during the cruise, or planned in advance.

Trip insurance is a must.

Ok thank you.

Every situation is different, depending on conditions and where it is safe to sail. In 2014 we were scheduled to visit St Maarten as our first stop. At the Sailaway Party the Captain made an announcement that we would be going to San Juan instead. Last summer we were supposed to go to Cozumel, and I believe it was the day before we were scheduled to be there, we were notified that would just be another sea day.

We have also had 2 cruises when we had to switch up our CC day with our sea day, but we did end up making it to CC a day late both times. (once wasn't even during hurricane season)

Has anyone traveled on any ship during the hurricane season and I was curious to how the Disney cruiseline works if you are scheduled to go say St.Martin do they switch and go to Cancun instead or how does that work?

I have sailed most of my cruises during hurricane season and up until Irma never had an issue with them cancelling one. However, we live in Orlando and it was the best decision they could have made to cancel the September cruise we were on. I also was on the first Eastern that went Western after the hurricanes hit as Tortola and St. Thomas were impacted. Obviously, we could not have gone there. So we went to Cozumel, Caymans and Jamaica for the 3rd time in 2017. :)

They will sail around it and change ports as they need to. Or they can cancel it if the weather and safety conditions are challenging as they were this past hurricane season. Hurricane season is from June 1st to November 30th, but most of the bad ones happen in late August, September and October.

Get insurance for not only your cruise, but for your flights & any pre-paid hotel stays, as all could be impacted by a cruise cancellation.

Hurricane season is the optimal time to book your flights, resort & insurance via DCL imo, as that way whatever changes/cancellations are made to the cruise by DCL will also be made to DCL-booked resorts/flights with no penalty to you.

A friend of mine was on the Dream during Hurricane Sandy and, if I recall, they never docked at CC or in Nassau. When they disembarked, she could not get home (she lives in NJ) and was lucky enough to actually be able to book a room at WDW (which was packed with people who couldn't get out). But, then of course, the majority of cruises are never impacted by hurricanes during hurricane season. It's really luck of the draw.

Get insurance for not only your cruise, but for your flights & any pre-paid hotel stays, as all could be impacted by a cruise cancellation.

Hurricane season is the optimal time to book your flights, resort & insurance via DCL imo, as that way whatever changes/cancellations are made to the cruise by DCL will also be made to DCL-booked resorts/flights with no penalty to you.

This is really good advice. DCL vacation insurance ONLY includes things that are booked directly through DCL, so if you plan on booking any flights, transfers or resorts, etc. on your own, you should consider purchasing a different insurance policy.

It is a good idea to get insurance, and consider alternate plans. However, in most years there are no hurricane issues at all, and all of the ships sail the regular itineraries making all of their regular stops.

In Sept 2016 we has mostly perfect weather on the dream. The only change was the sail away party was inside. Trip insurance gives me peace of mind.

Our Eastern Fantasy cruise was cancelled in September 2017. We received a 25% discount on a future cruise.

9 cruises, 6 during hurricane season. we've never rescheduled, been canceled etc... i.e. we have not had any hurricane activity during our cruises spanning 10 years.

Just a side note: with the exception of a refund of port fees*, don't expect a refund if they cancel a port.

*Edited

Last edited:
Just a side note: with the exception of a refund of taxes, don't expect a refund if they cancel a port.

Hmm. I would expect port fees too.

And I learned that there is travel insurance that covers (beyond just port fees and taxes) if a port is changed. Some threads last month or so on crusecritic talk about it.

And I learned that there is travel insurance that covers (beyond just port fees and taxes) if a port is changed. Some threads last month or so on crusecritic talk about it.

I don't know if we are allowed to name specific insurance companies on here, but yes, there is one that offers cruise specific plans. If a port is missed they will refund you up to a certain amount for any financial loss incurred. The amount varies based on the plan you choose. We have used this company several times as we typically book our excursions through private companies rather than the cruise line.

If you use the TI comparison websites, look for the one that will say XXXXXXXXX Insurance Co. Choice Cruise plan.

Sorry, "Port fees" was what I meant by "Taxes".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter