Traveling from NE on Thanksgiving... bad idea?

CherylA

DIS Veteran
I have nonnegotiable plans (renting points) to check into BWV on Nov 30th, the Saturday after Thanksgiving. My husband would like to drive. I'm thinking of flying. I've never traveled at a holiday time before. What should we expect as far as ticket prices if we were to fly down on the day after or two days after Thanksgiving?

How about driving? If we left on Thanksgiving evening how bad do you think traffic would be getting to DC from Connecticut on Thanksgiving night? I'd appreciate any and all feedback!

Thanks,
Cheryl

If you fly be prepared for large crowds. Thanksgiving is the busiest travel holiday. If you drive you would have to worry about weather. I would fly and do it early in the day before the crowds got too bad.

could you fly down to Orlando on Sat even and just get a cheap hotel room. I fly to Boston every other year for Thanksgiving and I always fly home on Saturday evening. It is great, no one else is in the airport and I get a much cheaper airfare.

Most of the heavy traffic that weekend would be on Wednesday & Sunday. You shouldn't encounter any problems travelling Thursday/Friday.

DH & I drove to Orlando, leaving Rhode Island on Thanksgiving night at about 7 p.m. We encountered very little traffic in Southern Connecticut where it usually bottles up. It was also easy going over the Tappan Zee bridge and down the Garden State Parkway and the NJ Turnpike. We drive straight through so we were also able to get through the busy Beltway area in MD and into VA before the Friday morning traffic started. We took leftover turkey with us and ate sandwiches in South Carolina and arrived in Orlando early Friday evening.

It was a good time to leave and we'd do it again.

:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter