Traveling Internationally as a Single Parent

anjuan

DIS Veteran
I'm traveling with my daughter (13) to Barcelona for a Mediterranean cruise in June. I was reading Rick Steve's book and it mentioned if you travel solo with a child that you should have a letter from the other parent granting permission to travel internationally. The complication with my situation is that my daughter's father died last year. Does anyone know if I brought along a copy of his death certificate with her passport, etc if that would be sufficient?

Yes. Maybe also her birth certificate to prove her dad’s name?

I’m sorry about your and your daughter’s loss.

I'm traveling with my daughter (13) to Barcelona for a Mediterranean cruise in June. I was reading Rick Steve's book and it mentioned if you travel solo with a child that you should have a letter from the other parent granting permission to travel internationally. The complication with my situation is that my daughter's father died last year. Does anyone know if I brought along a copy of his death certificate with her passport, etc if that would be sufficient?
Different countries have different rules. Nothing beyond a passport has been required for my cruises with my son to the Bahamas and Caribbean, even though we have different last names, but I know that going into Canada for our Alaska cruise will require written permission from his father. I don't know about Europe. I recommend calling DCL to ask.

I'm sorry for your loss.

My husband and kid are doing their own excursions that crosses into Canada, without me, and I was told I had to write a letter of consent. I don't know what alternative proof of consent would be required or permitted in situations like yours. I also recommend calling DCL to ask.

I’m widowed and even though my son and I both have passports I still carry birth certificates and my husbands death certificate. I’ve never been asked to provide those papers (Bahamas and Caribbean) but I’d rather have them than be denied boarding. I would also think you may be asked at the airport for an international flight.

I took my daughter on a Canadian Coastal cruise out of NYC in 2016, we have different last names, and I was never asked for a letter from her father. I have also driven her into Canada and was never asked for more than our passports. Better to be safe than sorry though.

No one has ever cared for my son and I (and we have different last names), BUT I do have my ex write a letter when we travel internationally (and I write one when they travel internationally without me). We've never been asked for it. That said, I would have a copy of the death certificate just in case (one of those, if you have it you'll never need it situations, most likely).
And sorry for your loss.

Actually I just remembered this story - my ex was in Spain last year with his "new" family (girlfriend and her children who have their fathers name, plus I think a friend). So they were a group of like 6 people with 4 different last names going through customs together and he said they did comment on it, but it wasn't an issue in any way.

I am a single mom with sole custody of my 8 year old. We have different last names. I have never needed anything beyond a passport in the Caribbean and the Bahamas. I was, however, asked for a copy of the custody papers when we drove to Canada. I always take all the paperwork with me even on a domestic trip just in case. I've never needed them domestically, but he has been asked at airports on several occasions if I am his Mom or who he is travelling with. Good luck!

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone! I'll make sure to bring all of the documents along with me. My situation is even a little more complicated because my daughter is adopted internationally, but I'm already used to bringing along a copy of the adoption papers as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter