Traveling to NYC with snow in forecast

avasmom

Earning My Ears
I have been wanting to go to NYC for years. My husband and I finally decided to go for a few days. Now they are expecting freezing temps and a snow storm while we are supposed to be there. Has anyone toured the city in the snow ? Can it be done or will we be miserable?

It can be done. And NYC is pretty magical in the snow.
Keep in mind that with the subway system below the streets, there are very few places where snow sticks and accumulates due to the heat underground. Since public transportation rarely shuts down, and we have a huge sanitation department to clean up, salt the streets and plow, the city does not shut down. Shops and restaurants will be open, business as usual, and most tourist attractions will still operate. Depending on your plans, you can still have a great trip. The only obstacle will be if you need to get to or from an airport for a flight, or if you were planning to stay somewhere other than Manhattan. Outer boroughs and NJ will have snow accumulation, and roads will be worse outside the city.

It hasn't been cold enough long enough for it to stick most places. To those not use to it the snow will make the city feel magical. Bring some boots or rain shoes just in case.

If you are staying in the city you'll be fine.

You will have a great time. NYC is great at clearing roads in Manhattan and the subways will almost always be running. Walking in Central park while it's snowing or right after is magical.

Best place in the area to be during a snowstorm, roads and sidewalks are cleared very quickly! I live 10 miles out, get NYC news, and it's amazing the difference between what I see on TV (because every storm gets non stop coverage) and what I see outside my window.

It's fine. The subways are warm and below ground, and they clear the sidewalks quickly.

They are under a Blizzard Watch expecting 8 to 12 Tuesday day and another 1 to 3 at night.
I'm not sure how that impacts travel around the city and not sure how magical that may be LOL

if you are talking about tomorrow DON"T DO IT

there are significant accumulations expected, amtrak has halted service and it will not be pleasant. I am in CT and the entire state is battening down the hatches and we will get through it. but the majority of us will not be leaving the house for 24-36 hours

They are under a Blizzard Watch expecting 8 to 12 Tuesday day and another 1 to 3 at night.
I'm not sure how that impacts travel around the city and not sure how magical that may be LOL
It's up to 2 feet! NYC will still be better than the surrounding areas, but their schools are closed.

Well looks like we are preparing for snowmagedon. I hope it isn't as bad as they are saying and really it will take a lot for it ot stick in the city but I know of businesses already trying to decide if they are going to open tomorrow or not since the city has already started canceling things. A little jumping the gun but for now Broadway is still going on tomorrow so Times Square area should still be pretty active if you are staying around there.

Update : we decided to cancel the trip. Luckily got refunded tickets and hotel. Just looks like it's going to be too big of a storm. I can handle snow but the winds and threat of power outages made our decision. Thanks everyone for weighing in and hope everyone stays safe!

I have been wanting to go to NYC for years. My husband and I finally decided to go for a few days. Now they are expecting freezing temps and a snow storm while we are supposed to be there. Has anyone toured the city in the snow ? Can it be done or will we be miserable?

Heard on the news tonight that Metro North is going to be suspended as of 4am tomorrow, and all above ground public transit will also be suspended tomorrow, including subway lines that go above ground. Stay home.

Update : we decided to cancel the trip. Luckily got refunded tickets and hotel. Just looks like it's going to be too big of a storm. I can handle snow but the winds and threat of power outages made our decision. Thanks everyone for weighing in and hope everyone stays safe!

Good choice. The city is generally great with snow but this is going to be a big one. Lots/ most everywhere closed. You'll enjoy it more another time!

Smart move OP, this is just not snow it's Snowmageddon
I hope you ll visit another time tho.. you ll love it!

I was going to say I was there during the last storm. It was cold and sloppy and because it was the weekend the sidewalks weren't always cleared. Good call not to go

I should have predicted this. Every time we try and go in the winter we get a storm though often it is on our end. This time we didn't have plans but my dd16 who is doing dual enrollment has this week off. DD12 does afterschool Tues/Wed so we thought about going to NYC Monday night to Wednesday since dh could get dd12 off to school and pick her up. I only went as far as looking at hotels and found several decent options but never actually booked one.

I am supposed to head up end of next week through the weekend with 150 plus orchestra kids. Looks like we dodged a bullet on the weather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter