Traveling to Pittsburgh - Suggestions?

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
DH, DD (11) and I are trying to find a short getaway for the last 3 days of her spring break (I unforunately can only take off work the Friday of so limited on time). One thing we have wanted to do is visit the Flight 93 Memorial - so we have loosely laid out a plan of leaving our house in Central Kentucky and heading to my parents house in Eastern Kentucky on Thursday when we get off work, and then early Friday morning heading to Shanksville, PA. However, it doesn't seem there is much to do there for a weekend so we are dabbling with going to Pittsburgh for Friday and Saturday night.

I have to say Pittsburgh is not on my bucket list, but Mr. Google shows me there is probably enough things we could find for a short trip (mainly just on Saturday as we would need to head out early Sunday morning to head home).

Can anyone suggest good areas to stay in? Family friendly ideas of safe things to do? I thought the inclines looked interesting, as well as maybe the Heinz History Center? I have not researched a ton, this idea just kinda came about today. (We were originally hoping to go to my MIL's in Florida, so this was definitely not along that route!)

This would be April 8-10.

Thanks!

Last edited:
DH, DD (11) and I are trying to find a short getaway for the last 3 days of her spring break (I unforunately can only take off work the Friday of so limited on time). One thing we have wanted to do is visit the Flight 93 Memorial - so we have loosely laid out a plan of leaving our house in Central Kentucky and heading to my parents house in Eastern Kentucky on Thursday when we get off work, and then early Friday morning heading to Shanksville, PA. However, it doesn't seem there is much to do there for a weekend so we are dabbling with going to Pittsburg for Friday and Saturday night.

I have to say Pittsburg is not on my bucket list, but Mr. Google shows me there is probably enough things we could find for a short trip (mainly just on Saturday as we would need to head out early Sunday morning to head home).

Can anyone suggest good areas to stay in? Family friendly ideas of safe things to do? I thought the inclines looked interesting, as well as maybe the Heinz History Center? I have not researched a ton, this idea just kinda came about today. (We were originally hoping to go to my MIL's in Florida, so this was definitely not along that route!)

This would be April 8-10.

Thanks!
https://www.visitpittsburgh.com/

When we went we stayed right next to PNC park in a Springhill Suites. We loved the ball park - great stadium but who knows if there will be baseball. The kids loved the zoo and the children's museum. We also enjoyed the inclines. I really like Pittsburgh. It was really fun.

Do you ski? Shanksville is near ski resorts - Seven Springs has the most offerings.

In the Oakland area of Pgh:
U of Pitt campus -
Cathedral of Learning- 2nd tallest education building in the world, 42 stories, gothic architecture and the Nationality Rooms - classrooms from 31 countries- : https://www.nationalityrooms.pitt.edu/. Can do guided tours or you can just walk around for free! Most of the nationality rooms on the first floor and you can just pop into them if there are not classes going on. Most have a recording you can listen to to tell you about the rooms.

Carnegie Museum of Natural History - dinosaurs
Carnegie Museum of Art

Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens

Holiday Inn in the heart of campus is nice and you can walk to all of the above

Downtown:
Andy Warhol Museum
Carnegie Science Center
Inclines/Mount Washington- awesome view- especially at night
Catch a Penguins game if they are in town

Happy to answer any questions!

The Carnegie museums are good. The science center and the natural history are 2 good choices. My kids enjoy both. You can go to station square to get on the incline and there are some restaurants there that we have gone to. We've done the melting pot and the hard rock.

Outside of the city, near the airport is the Robinson Town area. They have a nice shopping area with lots of restaurants. We have stayed at the Drury near Robinson and it was nice.

If you've never been to Pittsburgh, the city can a bit of a challenge to drive around. It took me 3 tries one time to get headed the right way out of the city. :blush:

The Carnegie museums are good. The science center and the natural history are 2 good choices. My kids enjoy both. You can go to station square to get on the incline and there are some restaurants there that we have gone to. We've done the melting pot and the hard rock.

Outside of the city, near the airport is the Robinson Town area. They have a nice shopping area with lots of restaurants. We have stayed at the Drury near Robinson and it was nice.

If you've never been to Pittsburgh, the city can a bit of a challenge to drive around. It took me 3 tries one time to get headed the right way out of the city. :blush:
GPS is a must and always have a map from AAA.

We stayed in the residence inn next to the ball park a number of years ago. At the time they had a shuttle that would take you around town. We did the incline. We also went to the Heinz museum. I thought it was well done.

The Flight 93 Memorial is beautifully done. You’re right, it’s in the middle of nowhere. Make sure you plan a lot of time to visit. There is so much to see and read.

Pittsburgh is a great city! Places we enjoy visiting - the zoo, Heinz History Center, Carnegie Science Center, and Point Park. Also, ride the incline.

We either stay at the Drury Downtown (on Grant) or Hilton Garden Inn (on Forbes). Eat at the original Primanti’s (or any for that matter). We also really like Waffles INCaffeInated for breakfast. Pamela’s Diner is good, too.

Have fun!

Definitely ride one of the inclines! The museums are great, the zoo is really nice. The cathedral of learning and the nationality rooms are great, too! I haven’t been to the Phipps Conservatory for years but I know people who go all the time and they love it.

Pamela’s for breakfast, Primanti Bothers is a must. There are a lot of really good restaurants in Pgh so you definitely won’t go hungry.

The Flight 93 Memorial is beautifully done. You’re right, it’s in the middle of nowhere. Make sure you plan a lot of time to visit. There is so much to see and read.

Pittsburgh is a great city! Places we enjoy visiting - the zoo, Heinz History Center, Carnegie Science Center, and Point Park. Also, ride the incline.

We either stay at the Drury Downtown (on Grant) or Hilton Garden Inn (on Forbes). Eat at the original Primanti’s (or any for that matter). We also really like Waffles INCaffeInated for breakfast. Pamela’s Diner is good, too.

Have fun!

I wanted to add to my original post - If you do ride one of the inclines, you need to take the exact amount of money with you. They don’t accept credit cards and don’t give change.

I live in Pittsburgh. I think with an 11 year old I would definitely do the Science Center. My kids still enjoyed the Children’s Museum at that age but they like crafts and the art studio there was really nice. Some of the other parts of the Children’s Museum your child might already be outgrowing. Our Zoo is always good, but I prefer the Columbus Zoo to be honest.

Not sure if the timing of your spring break, but if the weather is nice there are a ton of walking/biking/hiking trails in and around the city. The inclines have already been mentioned but they are cool to ride. We also have the Gateway Clipper Fleet that do short trips on the rivers—again better in nice weather.

I was going to mention Laurel Caverns as being not too far from Shanksville and definitely worth a visit, but I went to link it and and saw they are closed until mid April.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.

Drury on Grant St is like a second home. Ask a maintenance man for a unofficial tour of the garage area. From there we walk back and forth over the 3 sister bridges and strip district. We enjoy going into the old buildings and looking at the architecture.

We love Pittsburgh and have been several times. We’ve been to nearly everything mentioned and would like to add the Warhol museum and Bicycle Heaven as well.

Driving in Pittsburgh can be a challenge. It’s very easy to be in the wrong lane and end up on a bridge going a direction you don’t want. My kids are copilots and use the navigation to tell me which lane, etc.

Flight 93 is a powerful place to visit, but it doesn’t hold the same meaning for my kids.

We like to hike and use it for a point to get to 7 springs and the Laurel Mountain hiking area.

Thanks everyone! You have definitely given me things to study!

How about safety? Would you be comfortable in public areas in the evening?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter