Traveling to WDW with Back Issues

rangerxenos

DIS Veteran
Question as this is a first for me.

I currently have a herniated disc in my back that apparently isn't going to be fixed before I travel at the end of the month to WDW. (Thanks to my insurance company for dragging out an appeal for over a month, let's not go there...)

My orthopedist told me as long as I can deal with the pain, it's okay to travel without doing more damage to my back, but said to make sure I'm not doing any lifting of heavier items. Will I be able to get help at the airports with my luggage?

Has anyone else here traveled with disc issues? My plan is to avoid the rides that are really jarring, like Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain.

I have chronic issues with it. Also had a couple of surgeries in the past. I have people traveling with me do all the luggage lifting. I can roll it just fine. I have never asked anyone at the airport to help but I would use curbside checkin if available for your airline/airport/flight time. Usually you don’t have to lift your luggage at all there. I would not do carryons that you have to lift or work hard to get under the seat. I take a small pillow to add lumbar support in the plane seat as the airplane seat is very uncomfortable.
There are a lot of rides I can’t ride when it is bad - the safari is one as well as the ones you mentioned and any rollercoaster -even slinky is rough with that series of little hills. Even the boat rides can be jarring if the boats bump each other. Same with speedway.

The safari is one of my favorite rides, but with herniated discs it can be one of the worst-IF you sit near the rear. Sat in the back row once, and the pain was almost unbearable. Now I request a seat in the first or second row and comfort is fine. It must be a request the CMs get a lot, since every time I ask, they're very understanding.

Question as this is a first for me.

I currently have a herniated disc in my back that apparently isn't going to be fixed before I travel at the end of the month to WDW. (Thanks to my insurance company for dragging out an appeal for over a month, let's not go there...)

My orthopedist told me as long as I can deal with the pain, it's okay to travel without doing more damage to my back, but said to make sure I'm not doing any lifting of heavier items. Will I be able to get help at the airports with my luggage?

Has anyone else here traveled with disc issues? My plan is to avoid the rides that are really jarring, like Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain.
I completely understand the insurance thing. I had to fight that battle just get an MRI. The delay caused me to have nerve issues in my toe from the herniated disk.

Are you planning on using a mobility device while in the parks? If not, you may want to consider it. Using a cane can become tiring quickly. I get cramps in my hand and arm sometimes. I just use it at WDW to help get into and out of ride vehicles. If you decide to get an ECV to use during your trip, I highly recommend Gold Mobility. You can rent within the parks from Disney, but those things are tanks and can't be used at the resorts.

I pack some of those Thermacare heat packs to use during my trip. Plus an ice pack or 2, just in case. The first aid stations can also be useful if you need some help. I always pay attention to where they are located.

As far as rides go, any of the boat rides will be iffy because they do tend to get backed up and turn into bumper boats. I think you would be ok with any kind of omni-mover style attraction (Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, etc.). You could also go to any of the shows that you've skipped in the past because you wanted to ride a certain roller coaster.

Hope this helps some.

Honestly, no one can really predict how things will be for you. My dad doesn't have herniated disks, but he does have severe osteoarthritis in his spine. His doctor said he won't damage anything, even on the most jarring rides, so it's down to his pain levels for what he can tolerate. Over the years, he's learned all sorts of little things you would never expect. For example, he's fine on Peter Pan...as long as he doesn't sit on the side with the sail behind him. That little bit of sail forces his body into a position that really hurts. He's good with the Simpsons ride at Universal...as long as he sits on the right so that he can use his right leg to brace his body (his issues are worse on the left). And he does ride Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain, but uses specific muscle groups to brace in certain ways to protect the most painful areas.

Since this will be your first trip with back issues, my best advice would be to take it slow and build up to the bigger rides. Pay close attention to how your body feels after each attraction, even the small/easy ones. And then modify positioning as you go along. Good luck, it's a huge learning curve, but worth it.

I have a herniated disc that I've had surgery on and am on a lifting restriction. I usually have my husband or kids do the heavy lifting. Are you traveling with others? If not, wheeled suitcases and bags are your friends.

As for the parks, Space Mountain is the only thing I actively avoid. I don't use a mobility device but I take frequent breaks. That seems to help me last.

Good luck. Back surgery is a tough recovery but I hope it helps you find relief.

I have chronic issues with it. Also had a couple of surgeries in the past. I have people traveling with me do all the luggage lifting. I can roll it just fine. I have never asked anyone at the airport to help but I would use curbside checkin if available for your airline/airport/flight time. Usually you don’t have to lift your luggage at all there. I would not do carryons that you have to lift or work hard to get under the seat. I take a small pillow to add lumbar support in the plane seat as the airplane seat is very uncomfortable.
There are a lot of rides I can’t ride when it is bad - the safari is one as well as the ones you mentioned and any rollercoaster -even slinky is rough with that series of little hills. Even the boat rides can be jarring if the boats bump each other. Same with speedway.

Unfortunately a good chunk of my trip is solo, a friend is joining me for part of the trip, but I will be by myself at the airports. I will take advantage of curbside check-in if it's open, didn't think of that, thank you!

The safari is one of my favorite rides, but with herniated discs it can be one of the worst-IF you sit near the rear. Sat in the back row once, and the pain was almost unbearable. Now I request a seat in the first or second row and comfort is fine. It must be a request the CMs get a lot, since every time I ask, they're very understanding.

Thank you, it's one of my favorites as well, I would have never thought of this.

I completely understand the insurance thing. I had to fight that battle just get an MRI. The delay caused me to have nerve issues in my toe from the herniated disk.

Are you planning on using a mobility device while in the parks? If not, you may want to consider it. Using a cane can become tiring quickly. I get cramps in my hand and arm sometimes. I just use it at WDW to help get into and out of ride vehicles. If you decide to get an ECV to use during your trip, I highly recommend Gold Mobility. You can rent within the parks from Disney, but those things are tanks and can't be used at the resorts.

I pack some of those Thermacare heat packs to use during my trip. Plus an ice pack or 2, just in case. The first aid stations can also be useful if you need some help. I always pay attention to where they are located.

As far as rides go, any of the boat rides will be iffy because they do tend to get backed up and turn into bumper boats. I think you would be ok with any kind of omni-mover style attraction (Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, etc.). You could also go to any of the shows that you've skipped in the past because you wanted to ride a certain roller coaster.

Hope this helps some.

I've always hated insurance companies, but this problem has brought me a new level of hatred. Took 6 weeks to get an MRI approved, they insisted on prior treatments that everyone told me would not work but I was forced to do anyway, and now that they have the results they don't want to approved a cortisone shot, it's in appeal now going on 4 weeks. This is utterly ridiculous. When this started at the end of August, I never figured it would still be going on two months later. Had to cancel one vacation because at the time I didn't know what was going on.

Worse case scenario I will rent an ECV, but because of where the disc is, sitting long periods of time isn't the best thing, I actually feel best when walking, though standing in one spot gets uncomfortable quickly.

Do you know if the refrigerators in the rooms at the resorts have freezers? I never needed one so never really checked. My plan is to travel with my TENS machine, and hopefully an ice pack.

I have a herniated disc that I've had surgery on and am on a lifting restriction. I usually have my husband or kids do the heavy lifting. Are you traveling with others? If not, wheeled suitcases and bags are your friends.

As for the parks, Space Mountain is the only thing I actively avoid. I don't use a mobility device but I take frequent breaks. That seems to help me last.

Good luck. Back surgery is a tough recovery but I hope it helps you find relief.

Sadly I will be solo at the airports, a friend is joining me for part of the trip but is flying down and back different days.

I have avoided Space Mountain for a decade, even before this my back can't take it.

Unfortunately a good chunk of my trip is solo, a friend is joining me for part of the trip, but I will be by myself at the airports. I will take advantage of curbside check-in if it's open, didn't think of that, thank you!
Curbside check in has always been super with me in Orlando. I almost always am solo, can't walk now, but curbside check-in generally has wheelchairs and they'll take you in and "hand you over" to your airline if need be.

Worse case scenario I will rent an ECV, but because of where the disc is, sitting long periods of time isn't the best thing, I actually feel best when walking, though standing in one spot gets uncomfortable quickly.

Do you know if the refrigerators in the rooms at the resorts have freezers? I never needed one so never really checked. My plan is to travel with my TENS machine, and hopefully an ice pack.
Have you looked into using a rollator (maybe an upright one)?

The in-room fridges are closer to being beverage coolers than an actual refrigerator. They don’t have freezers. I've used a mixture of different types of ice packs.

IMG_5796.jpegIMG_5795.jpeg

Have you looked into using a rollator (maybe an upright one)?

The in-room fridges are closer to being beverage coolers than an actual refrigerator. They don’t have freezers. I've used a mixture of different types of ice packs.

View attachment 807902View attachment 807903

To add to what my friend @Euby said, you can ask at the Resort if Bell Services will allow you to keep some ice packs in their freezers. Historically, they were able to do this, but I don’t know if they still can.

Also, you may wish to check if the Instant Cold Packs pictured above are legal to fly in your checked bags. I have never flown with those, so I don’t know if they are allowed.

Perhaps even more importantly, they are *heavy*. I know they are heavy, because we bought some last summer, and I was surprised at how heavy the box was!

If you want to use those (certainly might be better to try and keep those in your room than run back and forth to an ice machine, or Bell Services) I would suggest having Amazon drop ship them to the Resort; if nothing else, it will save the weight in your suitcases.

Can you get a steroid shot in your back before you leave? I know this is helped me tremendously when I’ve gone to Disney I have severe back issues and I’ve had two surgeries lifting is a no for me yes you can find help with the airport definitely get a suitcase that rolls really well but even that can strain your back so try to keep it to a minimum you bell hops as much as possible
Definitely get some thing so you can put some ice on your back whenever you need to
Take your time take breaks and be mindful of what rides you get on sometimes the simplest rides are the worst ones I love the Safari ride at animal kingdom a lot of times it’s just a jarring for my back
I agree with the Peter Pan if I have to sit in the middle with that sail it bothers my back
Rides that whip me around are a no I think of the ones in Hollywood Studios back in toyland
Oh it’s different for everybody so good luck I hope you have an amazing trip and I hope you can do it with very limited pain if not pain-free I hope your surgery goes very well and you recover very fast❤️

Can you get a steroid shot in your back before you leave? I know this is helped me tremendously when I’ve gone to Disney I have severe back issues and I’ve had two surgeries lifting is a no for me yes you can find help with the airport definitely get a suitcase that rolls really well but even that can strain your back so try to keep it to a minimum you bell hops as much as possible
Definitely get some thing so you can put some ice on your back whenever you need to
Take your time take breaks and be mindful of what rides you get on sometimes the simplest rides are the worst ones I love the Safari ride at animal kingdom a lot of times it’s just a jarring for my back
I agree with the Peter Pan if I have to sit in the middle with that sail it bothers my back
Rides that whip me around are a no I think of the ones in Hollywood Studios back in toyland
Oh it’s different for everybody so good luck I hope you have an amazing trip and I hope you can do it with very limited pain if not pain-free I hope your surgery goes very well and you recover very fast❤️
I have been trying to get an approval for the lumbar shot since the beginning of October, it's STILL in appeals, I have grown to truly hate insurance companies. We're not quite sure what they want me to do, I've tried all the non surgical options EXCEPT the shot, and none have worked. The orthopedist is thinking they MIGHT get to the appeal before the end of the month, but I leave the Tuesday after Thanksgiving so it most likely won't be in time. Assuming they don't deny it again. Sigh.

Thank you all for the tips and help, it's greatly appreciated, this is all new to me.

If it weren't for the fact that I've been looking forward to this trip for half a year, and celebrating a milestone birthday, I probably would reschedule, but I think I'm going and will hope for the best. So long as the pain levels stay where they are, I think I can hack it, and knowing that I can't do more damage by traveling so long as I'm careful helps immensely.

I’m so sorry you can’t get the shot I just don’t understand these insurance companies they’re all money hungry I hate them so much
Have you tried acupuncture? I have got tremendous relief from it first time in 30 years I was pain free - I fell three times and was still pain free walked all over DISNEY pain-free I recommended it three other people who were in massive pain and they walked away pain-free so maybe if you want to give it a try

I've always hated insurance companies, but this problem has brought me a new level of hatred. Took 6 weeks to get an MRI approved, they insisted on prior treatments that everyone told me would not work but I was forced to do anyway, and now that they have the results they don't want to approved a cortisone shot, it's in appeal now going on 4 weeks. This is utterly ridiculous. When this started at the end of August, I never figured it would still be going on two months later. Had to cancel one vacation because at the time I didn't know what was going on.

I just wanted to say I feel for you, and hope you're able to get through with your treatment and recovery soon! Dealing with insurance can be a nightmare - I "lucked out" at the beginning of the year when my bulging disk fully herniated, in that I had already done about a year of physical therapy so we could show insurance "Look, conservative treatment didn't work". I'm 8 months post-surgery now and feeling so much better! Back to running, lifting weights, etc - always conscious of form and making sure I'm supporting my back, but no more pain.

Others have given you good advice on specifics for rides and strategies to get through this trip - I would say just go in with the mindset of being prepared to manage pain (whatever works best for you - pain meds, heat/ice, rest) and take things slowly. Best of luck!

Thank you all for the tips and help, it's greatly appreciated, this is all new to me.

If it weren't for the fact that I've been looking forward to this trip for half a year, and celebrating a milestone birthday, I probably would reschedule, but I think I'm going and will hope for the best. So long as the pain levels stay where they are, I think I can hack it, and knowing that I can't do more damage by traveling so long as I'm careful helps immensely.
I think the best advice is just to take it easy and take frequent breaks. Learning your limits with back problems is so tough, but you got this! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I’m so sorry you can’t get the shot I just don’t understand these insurance companies they’re all money hungry I hate them so much
Have you tried acupuncture? I have got tremendous relief from it first time in 30 years I was pain free - I fell three times and was still pain free walked all over DISNEY pain-free I recommended it three other people who were in massive pain and they walked away pain-free so maybe if you want to give it a try

If they ultimately deny the shot and the state's advocate can't help me, I will probably look at other alternatives before going the surgical route, I will put this on my list.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is being denied, neither can my doctor, as it looks like the only alternative at this point is surgery if they deny the shot. Surgery will cost a lot more, and brings with it a lot more risk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter