Traveling with 1-year-old--have questions!

Figment&Piglet

“A dream can be a dream come true”
We'll be traveling for the for the first time with a 1-year-old (have been many times before -- boy, this will be different!:) )

Anyway, need some help from expert parents out there:

What are the cribs in the Disney rooms like? (Will be at Beach Club Villas.) Are they really just a Pack 'n' Play playpen?

Is there such a thing as a rocking chair in the room? Is there a way to get one?

Any other paperwork besides a birth certificate (if that) we'd need for our daughter, especially for the plane?

Where's the cheapest/easiest place to buy diapers/wipes, etc., off-site? Will have a minivan, so could stop en route from the airport...

Any other tips? (We've already bought a lightweights stroller, and are planning to bring her car seat -- two things folks on this board convinced us of! ;) )

Thanks, everyone! Where would we turn if we didn't have these boards??!! :D

We just traveled cross country with our 1 year old, and although it wasn't to Disney, some of our suggestions might still be helpful!

- we were never asked for ID for him at the airports, although I did bring a photocopy of his birth certificate, just in case. The airlines will let you gate check the stroller either at the entrance to the plane, or at the entrance to the gate. Make sure you go up to the desk before they begin boarding and tell them you need a gate check. They will give you a tag for the stroller and one for you to keep. Also, request to board as early as possible (not all airlines actually have pre-boarding) so that you can get the carseat on. We found that you had to hold it above the seats in the coach section, which was awkward with people already on the plane.

- we brought some small toys for our son to play with on the plane, and also to have in the hotel room. This was extremely helpful, as it kept him occupied when we were getting dressed etc..

- we also brought some of his favorite small books to read to him before naps and bedtimes. This helped him to know that it was time to sleep, as the stories were familiar from home.

-

The local Publix located on 192 has decent prices on diapers and such. That is where we bought diapers for our 1 year old last summer. Also, all four parks have a baby station that is very comfortable for feeding in high chairs, changing diapers and warming up milk.

We've been to Disney 2x's now with our DD. 1st at 5 mos, then again at 18 mos. We're going again in 3 weeks with our now 2 1/2 year old and newest 9 mo-old! To answer your questions:

I stayed at CSR and got the Pack-N-Play. Bought my own sheet at BRU before we left and used that as opposed to the full size sheets they provide. Last year we stayed at BC and we're provided with a small metal porta-crib. It was awful and DD couldn't sleep in it. She ended up sleeping on the bed. I thought most of the resorts use the Pack-N-Play's so I don't know why BC didn't have them.

I have never seen a rocking chair in the rooms, though I've never stayed at BCV.

I think all the airlines ask for is Birth Certificates, though I've never been asked to see it at the airport. I'm bringing them anyways though. Hate to be caught without them!

I would agree with Cindy on the Publix. There are a few of them around all the resort areas. I only bring enough diapers to cover me for a day or two and buy a pack when we get there.

Yup, I always bring my carseat and stroller with me. Bring the laundry tablets for the washer. Take full use of those baby care centers. The best one is in AK. I could have stayed there all day! Have fun and enjoy yourselves!

We'll be travelling in May with DS who will be 15 mos and DD who is 4. I bought him a ticket for his seat (we're flying Delta) and I specifically asked when I made the reservation what ID both kids would need. She said none. Maybe it depends on the airline. I have ID cards for both of them with their fingerprints and birthdates on them, so I'm bringing those.

We're also bringing the stroller and carseats. Heading to the dollar store to get some toys for the plane ride. I just found at our supermarket Playdough in resealable bags, so I picked up a couple of those.

I'm debating on sending down diapers beforehand so they'll be there when we get there. Otherwise, I'm just going to fill one suitcase with all the type of stuff, and it will be empty and can be filled with souvenirs for the trip home :D .

Coming out of the airport, the "South Exit" leads to the Florida Greenway, aka Florida Rte. 417, which is the direct toll road that leads straight to WDW. If you get off at Exit 11 and turn south on Orange Blossom Trail, you will immediately come across a huge new SuperTarget. I find it much easier to go to a store that is visible from a main highway that I have to drive down in any case. The exit is an extra toll, but I think it is worth blowing the $.50 for the convenience of hopping on and off to get the shopping done. It is open until 11 pm, and is both a grocery store and a gen'l mdse store.

Do bring your own sheet for the P&P, the big flat sheet the hotel gives you will be a pain to deal with.

Be sure to bring wax sunscreen stick for her face, we like Neutrogena. Wax is easier to apply and will not run into her eyes.
Bring 2 sippy cups w/ extra valves, and a little bottle of dish liquid to wash them with. I like using a neoprene water-bottle pouch as a holder for sippys, I just kept it clipped to my belt loop and dropped the cup in whenever DS didn't want it.

A sling is very nice for a child that age, used for waiting in lines, where strollers are not allowed. Using a hip-sling gets the child's weight off your arms and lets you use your hip to prop him up.
(Another way to do this is a fanny pack with something soft stuffed inside; let the child sit on it on your hip.) Back-carriers work, too, of course, but they tend to be bulkier. You might also want to consider a harness & rein, if she is an explorer.

My all-time best "travel w/ baby" essential is a flat cloth diaper or two. Lighter and more absorbent than a washcloth, you can use them for all kinds of things; sunshade, bib, light cover-up, cooldown cloth, etc. Put it in a ziploc in your diaper bag, and you can do wet cleanup with it also, if needed.

I think that the only rockers at the BC, are outside on the veranda on the bay side of the hotel. In the absence of a rocker, sit yourself cross-legged on the floor w/ your back to a bed and a pillow on your lap under the child, and just rock on your hips. Having the bed behind you will stop you from rocking back too far. Don't sit on the bed or an easy chair; too much give in the seat surface will cause you to curl your back, and that will hurt after a while; sitting on a flat surface is better.

We stayed at GF in January. It's not published, but the deluxes do have access to full metal cribs. Ours was brand new and big!!! They even had bumpers on them. (Took them off since our 1 yr old using them as launching pads). You may have to talk to a manager to get these cribs.
We took our full stroller since Disney's don't recline. Our 1 yr old loves to nap, he'd sleep up to 2 hours in the stroller.
Assuming your 1 year old is walking a big challange you'll face is giving her some exercise time, that does not involve chasing them through crowds. Toon Town is great (Mickey/Minnie house, and an enclosed toddler/preschool play area), Honey I Shrunk the kids Playground (MGM), Boneyard (AKL) are great. EPCOT is a little hard, future world had pavallions (sp) don't allow strollers so you have to take them out, and hope they don't run away in the buildings
Most rides in MK (except roller coasters) are great for 1 year old, but hold on tight!! AKL is great for long walks (Asia, and Africa) that feature various animals.
Our little guy was the most entertained by street type performers in the parks, and the AKL parade where the characters actually shook his hands took his breath away.
Have fun, go slow, and watch the joy in her face from the things we adults usually breeze buy ( Diving birds at Pecos Bill, Koi in Japanese pavillion, horses pulling the Trolley down Main Street, little lizards everywhere, Dole whips, It's a Small World, hands in the fountain, shinny balloons everywhere, etc.

We are heading to WDW with our almost 3 year old in May. THis will be her 4th trip there!!!

The things that helped us the most was to bring the big stroller and not the umbrella type. The regular stroller was a bit more
of a hassel on the plane, but it worked out best in the end. We
were able to store stuff underneath and it was better for her
to sleep in when she was taking naps. She doesn't nap anymore :( but I like the bigger stroller.

I see you are in the BCV. (We will be too in May :) If you're
not renting a car, you might want to consider one of the car services. They will stop at a grocery store for you. Also the BCV have DVD players, not in the studios though.

Our DD was fine in the pack in play's for sleeping. We ordered a crib when she was 7 months and it was awful. It was metal and had a wrinkly noisy plastic mattress. We may have had just a bad
one.

And don't forget to utilize the baby swap!!

See you in Disney!

All this info has helped tremendously! I'll see how the pack 'n' play goes, and if it's not working out, at least I know it might be possible to request the regular-type crib.

We are taking sort of a middle-type stroller -- not a full-size, but not an umbrella either. Has a decent basket, cupholders, reclines, etc., but is lighter weight than our Graco.

I worry about keeping DD amused on the 1.5 hours in the car to the airport, then for 2.5 hours in the plane, then for another .5-1 hour in the car from the airport to the hotel -- yikes, a lot of sitting! WE'll definitely take advantage of any play areas we see to get some crawling (walking, maybe?) in.

Sounds like stopping at the Publix or Target on that first day will help, too, in not carrying all those diapers, etc.

Dizzy, we're going 5/5-5/13 -- hopefully it will have stopped snowing in MA by then! :)

Let's hope the snow will be done by then!!!

Don't worry about keeping the baby amused. I'm sure she'll fall
asleep on the plane. One good tip someone gave me was to
keep a favorite toy or book from the kid a month before. THen, on the plane pull it out. It will keep them busy longer than usual.

See you then!

Just a little idea. I have 5 yr and 7 mo. Took 5 yr. old to wdw twice now. First time he was still in diapers. I packed a smaller case of diapers and snacks for the stay. Then filled it with souvies on the way back. But I dont think food is allowed anymore in checked bags. Have to check it out. Have fun!!!

We too will be at Beach club villas May the 5th through the 12th. And are also From MA. As for traveling with the baby, I can assure you my 2 year old twins have been 4 times to wdw now, and ar by far the easy travelers in my group. I always bring my own stroller, and have never had trouble. The beach club pool could not be better for little ones this age... my guys love it. nad it is so easy to walk across the International gateway to Epcot. and of course the resort launch to MGM. I always bring all my own toiletries with me, Diapers wipes etc....I pack everything in ziploc. everything from q-tips to baby tylenol, to rash cream, I always come home with a ton of stuff toys etc.... And I simply pack it where all the incidentals were on the trip down. I also pack tide tablets and dryer sheets, dishwasher tablets etc...even if you are in a studio washers and dryers are provided free of charge. I am in a 2 bedroom and love that I can wash as we go....Maybe we will see you in the pool. I will be the one chasing my 2 year old twin sons in differant directions I am sure.....

Seems like there will be tons of people from Mass. there that week -- and at the BCV, too! :D

We are in a Studio and, quite frankly, laundry is something I barely tolerate doing when I'm home, so definitely won't be doing any on vacation! LOL!!!

We're in a Studio, so I hope the crib and everything work out OK. I've also posted on the restaurant board, and have had lots of good suggestions on places to eat with a 1-year-old, so I'm trying to do all my homework from home! ;)

Everyday I think of something else I have to remember to bring for her, so I'm glad we purchased "travel-sized everything," and I think the stop at Publix when we get there will be key in picking up the diapers, wipes, etc., that I don't want to pack or carry.

Now if she finds enough to eat on the buffets (don't want to carry around baby food, and she's not nuts about it anyway) and can sleep in a strange environment/crib (we've been breaking her of needing to rock to sleep since it seems like the rocking chair is out of the question) we'll be ALL SET!

TwinMom, I'll be sure to look for twins--and you-- at the pool. You'll spot me -- I'll be the mother of the 1-year-old cutie who looks wide-eyed and clueless! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter