Traveling with a large group?

courtbowling

Earning My Ears
Next springg break my family will be traveling to the world for my senior spring break along with 6 of my friends. That makes a total of 10 people at least and we may have up to 12. Most of the girls are paying for most of the trip by themselves and I have to pay for part as well. But we also have a condo that runs from sunday to sunday. which would mean we would have to leave saturday and miss a day if we drive. We're traveling from the indianapolis area. What do you think our best option for getting down to Orlando is?

While flying would give you more time, it tends to be expensive that time of year. Keep watching for southwest to open up for your time frame to get the best price on tickets.

Driving isn't bad. We aren't far from Indy and drive the trip when we go these days. If you leave early sunday morning, you can be home and back to school on monday. We usually drive straight through so it can easily be done. Will you have more than one driver? That helps when you do.

Have a wonderful trip!

I drove from South Florida to southwestern Ohio several times a year going to and from college. You're looking at a max drive of 15-hours. With 10 people (at least half of whom must be drivers) that really won't bee too bad. Assuming 5 drivers in the same vehicle, that means each takes just one 3-hour shift. Once you're on I-75, it's a straight shot to Orlando, and the only challenging city traffic-wise on a Saturday will be Atlanta (which has a bypass if you get there around rush hour).

If you leave early Saturday morning, you'll be in Orlando by late Saturday night for the price of a couple of tanks of gas.

Do your friends have cars - or access to reliable vehicles that parents will allow them to take on a long trip like this? That would be the easiest way to go logistically. If not, that takes driving off the table and I think you'll need to add plane fare to the cost of the trip. However, if you do fly your group will need some way to go from airport to condo and condo to theme parks, etc. Given your ages, don't believe any of you will be able to rent a car. That leaves looking at public transport - are you staying close to a Lynx stop on a line that goes easily to the parks? Or would your parents be willing to rent another vehicle and play chauffeur for your group that week?

The big issue we have with driving is losing almost an entire day at the end of our trip to make sure we are back in time for school otherwise we most likely would have access to cars etc. Also my mom is nervous about letting us drive straight through to orlando and might make us stop at a hotel half way which would take even more time. I believe most of my friends are part of frequent flyer programs as many of us have dads who travel a lot for business and one girls dad works for the airport. If we flew my parents would get 2 rental cars and we also have some family down there who's car we may be able to use. We are staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations Resort at Sea world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter