Traveling with medical equipment?

rascalmom

<font color=purple>Business trips should include a
My dh & I make such a lovely pair - he now has to sleep with a CPAP machine & I have to use a bone stimulator on my still healing broken ankle.

We will need to take both of these items when we fly to Orlando in June. I will feel more comfortable taking them as carry on items - will we need any special arrangements or documentation to make it through security? The CPAP probably is not that unusual, but the bone stimulator may "raise some eyebrows" with the timer, etc.

I really appreciate any help or input on making the trip as easy as possible!

You definately should take them as carry on items.
I'm pretty sure the screeners have seen CPAP machines before; those are pretty common.
For the bone stimulator, you may not need it, but it might help to have some literature about it that tells what it is and what it is used for.
We were worried about DD's computer when we brought it with us. It's an industrial/military tablet computer (looks kind of like a screen missing the rest of the computer) and if you check on the internet for the brand, you come up with a lot of information about how to use it to set off weapons. They never did more than glance at it.

I, too, use a C-Pap machine. I plan to bring it as a carry-on. It uses distilled water. Do I have to bring the water with me on the plane? Or Will the resort be able to get distilled water for me? We are using ME so we will not be stopping at any stores on the way to All Star Movies. Thanks for the help! :earboy2:

whiteb said:
I, too, use a C-Pap machine. I plan to bring it as a carry-on. It uses distilled water. Do I have to bring the water with me on the plane? Or Will the resort be able to get distilled water for me? We are using ME so we will not be stopping at any stores on the way to All Star Movies. Thanks for the help! :earboy2:
You can call the WDW Resort Reservations Special Needs : 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)
They should be able to help you. (I would not want to carry distilled water on the plane- that stuff is heavy).
An alternate would be to mail some distilled water to your self at the resort. I know people have written on the Resorts Board that they have mailed things like bottled drinking water or formula, so I don't think distilled water would be that much different.

I travel with a CPAP machine as well. Go to talkaboutsleep.org and ask them about traveling with medical equipment. They can give you a link to a site that has something you can print out that explains the federal law. You should have this if you are flying. The law states that medical equipment does not count as carry-on luggage. You may want to carry your prescription for the CPAP and other medical equipment as well as any literature that came with the equipment, if it is unusual. As for the distilled water, bottled drinking water is the next best thing -- if you can't get distilled. I've used it before and not had any problems. Good luck.

Tippurr :teacher:

Thanks so much! I did not realize drinking bottled water would work! That would be so much easier! :cool1:

When you get to your hotel you can have distilled water delivered, along with other grocery items. We used www.wegoshop.com and were very pleased with the service. You just email or fax your order a day before arrival along with hotel info. They charge $10 for orders up to $100 of items, more for larger items. They shop at places liike WalMart, various grocery stores, etc. You can specify brands, or let them choose. Its more convenient than a grocery stop and sure beats lugging it with you. They deliver right to your hotel room. We ordered water, soft drinks, snacks, pull ups, fruit, sandwich fixings, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter